Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Place to live/ride in Oklahoma City?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-07, 05:47 PM
Ramjm_2000

Bikes: Too many...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Forumites,

Looks like I'll be moving to OKC this coming June/July. I'll be coming to house hunt and I was hoping some of you may know the best area to look for a home. Our prerequistes are good riding near by and should be fairly close to Tinker AFB. Thanks for the help!

JR
Old 03-21-07, 05:56 PM
Xrisnothing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't do it! Have you ever been to Oklahoma?
Old 03-21-07, 06:07 PM
Ramjm_2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately I don't have a choice. But thats OK I've lived in KY, TN, AL, and TX it can't be that much different...
Old 03-21-07, 07:51 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am biased because i live there but Edmond is great for cycling. there is a large area east of I-35 with paved, hilly roads and no traffic and a very active cycling community, lots of group rides. Norman I think has similar situation. Unfortunately midwest city and del city, the two communities closest to tinker don't have quite as easy access to these roads. From Edmond it is about a 20-30 minute drive to tinker depending on traffic.
Old 03-21-07, 07:52 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
And actually oklahoma is a great place for cycling, except for the wind. You can ride almost 12 months a year, you will need some cold weather gear however
Old 03-21-07, 08:17 PM
Non-Fiction
The Truth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you seriously just compare Oklahoma to Texas? If you thought Texas was bad you have no idea what you are getting yourself into up there. Don't do it! Come back to Texas.
Old 03-21-07, 08:23 PM
Xrisnothing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do Texans hate Oklahoma so much? Texas has Austin. It's its only saving grace. Oklahoma however...ugh.
Old 03-21-07, 08:26 PM
Ramjm_2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys thanks for all the suggestions. I've heard great things about Norman and Edmond. Based on my likely commute I think Norman is more reasonable. How's Moore? And I'm currently living in DC so I've got plenty of cold weather gear, thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-21-07, 08:31 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Tulsa but do many OKC ride...the wind does suck right now (max 23 avg 10 tonight) but by the time you get here there will be no wind...You will however have to deal with the 104 deg temp....lol

I second the Edmond choice....I have a friend that lives there and I work there once a week. Great place...good riding out East of the city....

Any all those people that are aginst OK are just paying to much for Gas and there still mad that they paid more than 125 grand for there house....
Old 03-21-07, 08:57 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a reason we call it the 'Dump it here state'.
Old 03-21-07, 09:09 PM
Xrisnothing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dallas = South Oklahoma

Also, I'm fairly certain that gas is less expensive in Texas as I've noticed gas gets more expensive the farther north I go on I-35.
Old 03-21-07, 09:12 PM
bonzo_351m
Big Starbucks Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has already been stated, but can not be stressed enough. THE WIND! It was gusting past 30mph today and my 20 mile ride felt like I did 40 miles. +1 on the summer months though just gotta get used to the heat.
Old 03-22-07, 05:57 AM
Ramjm_2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dang I can just feel the love oozing between you Texas folks and Oklahoma types. Hopefully OKC isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be. I'll agree outside of Austin and some of San Antonio, TX isn't all that.
Old 03-22-07, 06:20 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey, I used to live in Edmond and Norman.....did the morning show on WKY Radio in '84-'86.

Great temps...
Windy...
Flat...

Gotta love O-U football!
Old 03-22-07, 06:29 AM
cbip

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000
Dang I can just feel the love oozing between you Texas folks and Oklahoma types. Hopefully OKC isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be. I'll agree outside of Austin and some of San Antonio, TX isn't all that.
You know why Texas doesnt float out into the Gulf of Mexico?
"Because Oklahoma Sucks"

OK city isnt that nice but the Tulsa and McAlistar areas are nice. Rolling hills and lots of green areas, at least in spring. Anywhere you live is what you make of it anyway. I mean some people actually like New Jersey!
Old 03-22-07, 06:30 AM
Ramjm_2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Hey, I used to live in Edmond and Norman.....did the morning show on WKY Radio in '84-'86.

Great temps...
Windy...
Flat...

Gotta love O-U football!
Hip,

So which did you like best? Norman or Edmund? Any other places you recommend to look with a reasonablt commute to Tinker?

Oh yea, no O-U football for me, Auburn all the way.
JR
Old 03-22-07, 06:46 AM
TeamPlayers

Bikes: MBK Prospeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonzo_351m
It has already been stated, but can not be stressed enough. THE WIND! It was gusting past 30mph today and my 20 mile ride felt like I did 40 miles. +1 on the summer months though just gotta get used to the heat.

Do they still let you guys ride on the back of Ft.Sill? When I was there back in 99 all my miles were on Ft.Sill so I have no idea what is like really riding in Oklahoma. But I do know that if your in Oklahoma you have no excuse not to do the Hotter'n Hell in Wichita Falls TX.
Old 03-22-07, 06:54 AM
bonzo_351m
Big Starbucks Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000
Hip,

So which did you like best? Norman or Edmund? Any other places you recommend to look with a reasonablt commute to Tinker?

Oh yea, no O-U football for me, Auburn all the way.
JR
You can't escape it especially as close as you will be. As far as living in the area: I assume you are used to a long commute since you are in DC. Norman would not be a long commute at all. Just a quick hike up I-35 to I-240 and then you are at Tinker. If you are going to live in the city then I would suggest living in the northern part. That is where the good golf courses and all that type of stuff are. Plus you will be closer to Edmond.
Old 03-22-07, 06:56 AM
bonzo_351m
Big Starbucks Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamPlayers
Do they still let you guys ride on the back of Ft.Sill? When I was there back in 99 all my miles were on Ft.Sill so I have no idea what is like really riding in Oklahoma. But I do know that if your in Oklahoma you have no excuse not to do the Hotter'n Hell in Wichita Falls TX.
How about a year long vacation to Iraq?
Old 03-22-07, 07:01 AM
TeamPlayers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a year long vacation to Iraq?
Be safe man. I miss Ft.Sill. I wasn't active duty but I loved it
Old 03-22-07, 07:15 AM
Ramjm_2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can't escape it especially as close as you will be. As far as living in the area: I assume you are used to a long commute since you are in DC. Norman would not be a long commute at all. Just a quick hike up I-35 to I-240 and then you are at Tinker. If you are going to live in the city then I would suggest living in the northern part. That is where the good golf courses and all that type of stuff are. Plus you will be closer to Edmond.
Luckely we live about 4 miles from where I work in Bethesda. It's more expensive than living outside of Bethesda/Silver Spring but worth it. The wif and I just had out first kid and really don't want to do the whole Metro thing anymore so finding a house outside of the city proper with a decent commute and great riding is our goal.
Old 03-22-07, 08:06 AM
rpc180

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R700 2002 Cannondale R3000 2013 Masi CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Work sent me to Lawton near Ft. Sill and the Preserve last November. I really wished I could've taken my bike with me - I saw one person riding in the Preserve and a pair of riders tackling Mt Scott (that is one steep climb!). Otherwise, its CRAZY flat all through the area (and I'll attest to the wind). I did drive to Oklahoma City one day because I wanted to check it out the area while I was there. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to leave DC for Oklahoma - but it would've been fun to ride.

INCREDIBLY FLAT - click on photo for some other shots:
Old 03-22-07, 08:55 AM
TeamPlayers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpc180
Work sent me to Lawton near Ft. Sill and the Preserve last November. I really wished I could've taken my bike with me - I saw one person riding in the Preserve and a pair of riders tackling Mt Scott (that is one steep climb!). Otherwise, its CRAZY flat all through the area (and I'll attest to the wind). I did drive to Oklahoma City one day because I wanted to check it out the area while I was there. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to leave DC for Oklahoma - but it would've been fun to ride.

INCREDIBLY FLAT - click on photo for some other shots:
Mt. Scott is a great ride. I will conquer it again
Old 03-22-07, 08:58 AM
MaddSkillz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Tulsa. Sorry can't offer any advice. LOL
Old 03-22-07, 09:11 AM
Thrifty1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in NW OKC about 1/2 mile from Lake Hefner. I usually ride the MUP trails that are very nice excpet the joggers can't read the "Bicycles/Rollerblades ONLY" signs.
One really good LBS and several acceptable "parts only" shops.
Take a look at https://www.okc.gov/trails/index.html
Good Luck and welcome to OKC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.