Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike (OCR3), new rider

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 05:44 PM
oahu750s

Bikes: Cheap!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,
I am fairly new convert to the cycling scene. I started riding a lot last year after having some back issues, 19 years in the Army will do that to you The family and I bought cheap mountain bikes, plus a trailer, at Toy-R-Us so we could ride around the neighborhood. I started riding more and more and have been doing 50-70 miles a week; I decided to buy a road bike because I have set a goal to ride a century in September. After much searching, looking at the normal beginner bikes: Trek 1000, Giant OCR3, Specialized Alez, etc. I went to a bike shop yesterday looking at a 2006 OCR3, really liked it, and when the guy said they were on sale for $390 I said sold. Anyway, went for my first ride last night and felt like I was going to get a speeding ticket compared to my 30+ pound mountain bike. I am really looking forward to going on some longer rides. I am a little paranoid about damaging the rims riding on the bumpy roads around here. Anybody have any problems damaging their rims? I am talking strict road work, up and down sidewalks and such. I am sure you will see me around asking a bunch of newbie questions (after searching the forums).

Ride safe,
Chuck
Old 03-27-07, 05:53 PM
cuski
Chunky Programmer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 03-27-07, 06:02 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey, another Oahu person - welcome!

I've made rims go out of true from riding on bumpy roads. Not too badly out of true, but enough to create an irritating brake pad rub. It happens, but it's less likely to happen if you don't weigh much and you maneuver around the larger potholes. Don't let it worry you too much, though. I've have a wheelset that I've ridden about 7,500 miles on so far, and it's still going strong. Just do your best to mitigate any potential for damage and you should be fine.
Old 03-27-07, 06:05 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!!!
Old 03-27-07, 06:07 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 674 Posts
Stay off the sidewalks if you can. Pedestrians need a place to walk ;-)
Old 03-27-07, 06:08 PM
G60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow man, $360 that's a good deal.
Old 03-27-07, 06:30 PM
blindvelcro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hooaa another vet. Congrats on the bike. Dont ride on the sidewalk, you can really do some damage to your rims going off the curbs. Just normal bumpy roads shouldnt damage the rims too much. Just keep an eye for a wobble after you ride, and take it in to get it trued. How much do you weigh? What rims came on the bike?
Old 03-27-07, 06:34 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have ya. wow, 19 years...they wouldn't keep you for that last year for full pension and all the goodies? Anyway, I've been riding a 2002 OCR3 for 5 years now and have no complaints. Original wheels (sorry, I just can't afford lighter ones) and they've held up just fine, even with all 205lbs. of me. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-27-07, 06:40 PM
oahu750s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blindvelcro
Hooaa another vet. Congrats on the bike. Dont ride on the sidewalk, you can really do some damage to your rims going off the curbs. Just normal bumpy roads shouldnt damage the rims too much. Just keep an eye for a wobble after you ride, and take it in to get it trued. How much do you weigh? What rims came on the bike?
Thanks for all the replies! I should have said 19 and counting, will retire at 22. First, just to clarify, I am not riding on sidewalks that are made just for walkers. A lot of the sidewalks in my area are double wide made for bikes and pedestrians. Plus, have you seen all of the pedestrians getting ran over on Oahu? I am 5'10" tall and weigh 210, so I am not exactly a light rider. The tires appear to be 700 X 26C, hopefully that is the right number. For now I am running 90 psi in the tires, will experiment with pressure to see what works best.

Thanks again,
Chuck

P.S. Pictures coming soon
Old 03-27-07, 06:53 PM
SSIndyRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rim concern is a common worry for MTB riders. That plus concerns of popping the tubes or them being unsteady due to the narrowness. None are problems in general riding. I've ridden mine on crushed gravel paths (700x25 wheels) with no adverse affect. My wife felt the way you did when I put her on a Fuji road bike - so almost peed at the speed she was riding. If you're nervous about the toeclips that came with it, take them off for a while until you're used to the bike and feel fully comfortable, then you can either put them back on or consider clipless pedals. Don't feel pressured to get clipless just because its the "right way to ride". Whatever gets you comfortably riding is the right way. I used toeclips for years and just switched to clipless this year.
Old 03-28-07, 11:01 PM
TomMc1

Bikes: '05 Klein Attitude V, '90 Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service to our country.

I have an OCR too and really enjoy it.
Old 03-29-07, 01:37 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Wow!

I wish deals like that were to be found in these parts!
Enjoy riding! Hopefully I'll be able to hop in on the fun soon enough!
Old 03-29-07, 01:40 AM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
$390 - amazing deal! Ride it like you stole it!
Old 03-29-07, 01:55 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Haha, well put.

I think it actually applies here though, that is a friggin steal!
Old 03-29-07, 05:54 AM
entukay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome deal, thats less than a lot of used bikes in the same price range.
Old 03-29-07, 07:08 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you damage the wheels through normal riding, which I would find improbable, then you need some different wheels anyway. But I really doubt whether that's an issue. How much do you weigh?
Old 03-29-07, 09:16 AM
oahu750s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
If you damage the wheels through normal riding, which I would find improbable, then you need some different wheels anyway. But I really doubt whether that's an issue. How much do you weigh?
I weigh right at 210 and am probably just being paranoid about the tires. Since this is my first road bike since high school, I had a Puch (sp?), I am still adjusting to riding this style. And I do feal like I stole it.
Old 03-29-07, 09:23 AM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll learn how to make yourself light for a brief moment when you run over some of the unavoidable things we all encounter on the road. As for worrying about your wheels, I wouldn't. If you damage them it's the perfect excuse to upgrade! Wheels are pretty stout though, keep your tires properly inflated (100psi or so) and you should be fine. Invest in a decent floor pump, one with a gauge, and check your pressures before each ride. You can't tell if a tire is properly inflated by feel.

If you keep riding at least 100 miles a week you should be able to do a century by September easily. Try to get in a few 50+ mile rides in the couple months before the ride and you'll do fine. I'd try to make your first century a fairly flat one though.
Old 03-29-07, 09:39 AM
Stardust

Bikes: 1.Specialized 2006 Allez Sport 2.Shogun Paranoid XC 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,

I have switched to road bike after my MTB got trashed by unsucessful bike theives a year ago. Now I am on a Specialized Allez Sport Double 2006. I still remember the thrill I got the first evening I rode it back home from work, coz I had the bike delivered to me at my office. It was just amazing, the speed, the quick response you get from steering and accelaration.

OCR was one of the bikes I considered when I was looking for a replacement for my trahsed MTB, I just couldn't find one near me. I got mine after so many people recomending Allez Sport and I happened to find a shop selling them at a end-of-season sales.

For me the stock wheels are actually very well built, I have a couple of minor crashes arround town and the wheels are still in ture. One of my concerns now is not the potholes it is the large cracks between the slabs on the pavements. I nearly got myself thrown off the bike when my wheels perfectly logued in the crack.