Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Why were Easter eggs so expensive and why should carfree folks be pissed about it?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Why were Easter eggs so expensive and why should carfree folks be pissed about it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 11:15 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Read about it here. I've also read that milk is starting to go way up in price, and meat and farm-raised fish will soon follow.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-09-07, 11:33 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the government stopped subsidizing ethanol, the price of food would decline pretty quickly again, and ethanol would recede into the obscurity it so richly deserves. Corn-based ethanol is the silliest energy idea I've ever heard about. It still puts CO2 into the atmosphere (though at a somewhat more modest rate than fossil fuels), it takes away from food production, as the article demonstrates, and, worst of all, it's insanely inefficient. A gallon of gasoline produces 30-200 BTUs for every BTU needed to produce it, depending on where you drill for the oil. A gallon of corn-based ethanol, on the other hand, produces 1.34 BTUs for every BTU needed to produce it. Without the subsidies, no one in their right mind would even be thinking of corn-based ethanol. This is just another example of the executive branch of the US government benefitting its friends by robbing the rest of us.
Old 04-09-07, 11:39 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by bragi
Corn-based ethanol is the silliest energy idea I've ever heard about.
Second silliest. Gasoline is still the silliest.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-09-07, 11:58 AM
r8ingbull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If staple food items double, or even triple in price they would still be a good deal at a very acceptable price to me. A dozen eggs for $2.27, a loaf of white bread for $1.77, 10 lbs potatoes for $7.50, My CSA Share to $300, 20 lbs rice for $12? So what. Maybe I can't buy any more Frosted Super Marshmallow cereal or Pop-Tarts or greasy ass potatoe chip or any of the other crap people buy.

While I don't think Ethanol is a great idea, I'm all in favor of it if farmers can make a more reasonable wage, we can reduce our trade balance, and help our environment ever so slightly. Seems like a win/win to me. I'm sure those subsidies are way less than oil subsidies.
Old 04-09-07, 12:30 PM
scottyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the food producers will stop putting High Fructose Corn Syrup in everything now.
Old 04-09-07, 01:31 PM
0_emissions :=)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Second silliest. Gasoline is still the silliest.
+1. Take care of the big problem as well as the second biggest...
Old 04-09-07, 05:27 PM
Slow Train

Bikes: 2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, ABC News had a report on this evenings broadcast. Grain farmers are happy - everybody else less so. The report did say that this is just the beginning. With all the ethanol refineries that are expected to come online this year they predict that over 1/3 of the US corn supply will be diverted next year.
Old 04-10-07, 12:22 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corn-based ethanol is the silliest energy idea I've ever heard about, it takes away from food production.
It isn't taking food out of Americans' mouths. And it isn't any countries responsibility to feed other countries populations. If a country can't feed itself, it has way too many people. This is why the world has a massive over-population problem. Transporting food to artificially support inflated populations elsewhere.
Old 04-10-07, 12:55 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
It isn't taking food out of Americans' mouths. And it isn't any countries responsibility to feed other countries populations. If a country can't feed itself, it has way too many people. This is why the world has a massive over-population problem. Transporting food to artificially support inflated populations elsewhere.
Perhaps we should stop exporting food to Ethiopia and "decrease the surplus population..."
Old 04-10-07, 01:22 AM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else been reading in the news about the honeybees vanishing all of a sudden? It started about November of last year. Supposedly up to 70% of the bees gone in some states. When they open up the hives all the worker bees are missing. Disappeared, not dead. No one knows the cause. Suspicions include genetically engineered corn and cotton but the current attitude of investigators is, it can't possibly be that.
Old 04-10-07, 11:00 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by r8ingbull
If staple food items double, or even triple in price they would still be a good deal at a very acceptable price to me. A dozen eggs for $2.27, a loaf of white bread for $1.77, 10 lbs potatoes for $7.50, My CSA Share to $300, 20 lbs rice for $12? So what. Maybe I can't buy any more Frosted Super Marshmallow cereal or Pop-Tarts or greasy ass potatoe chip or any of the other crap people buy.
Spoken like a single male. You might think differently if you had a couple kids to feed, and not very much time to prepare meals because you're working overtime to feed them.

While I don't think Ethanol is a great idea, I'm all in favor of it if farmers can make a more reasonable wage, we can reduce our trade balance, and help our environment ever so slightly. Seems like a win/win to me. I'm sure those subsidies are way less than oil subsidies.
What gets me mad is the form of this particular subsidy. For one thing, you're making my fuel (food) more expensive in order to make your fuel cheaper (ethanol for your stinking car).

Sorry, but I don't "swallow" that argument. If you insist on driving a totally outmoded automobile, do it with your own money, not mine!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-10-07, 11:02 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

How is diverting one-third of our largest food crop to fuel NOT taking food out of American's mouths? It's high school economics, not really that hard to figure out.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-10-07, 11:24 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have 2 responses to your post:

1. It is, in fact, taking food out of Americans' mouths, in a very literal sense. If you divert 1/3 of the corn crop to ethanol production, the price of the remaining corn is going to be bid upwards. Every kind of food that requires any corn, including almost all animal products, is going to get significantly more expensive.

2. What do you suggest be done about the already-existing "inflated populations elsewhere"?
Old 04-10-07, 11:44 AM
r8ingbull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What gets me mad is the form of this particular subsidy. For one thing, you're making my fuel (food) more expensive in order to make your fuel cheaper (ethanol for your stinking car).

Sorry, but I don't "swallow" that argument. If you insist on driving a totally outmoded automobile, do it with your own money, not mine!
I'll say I don't think these subsidies are a good idea, but the other alternative is oil subsidies, which do you prefer? Farmers in the Mid-west or War in the Mid-east? Seems like a pretty simple choice.

By the way, I average 1500-1800 miles car driving per year, at least 98% with more than one passenger.
Old 04-10-07, 11:45 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Not only is it affecting corn based products, but land that was being used to grow other food crops is being diverted to corn for ETOH production. IE; wheat, barley and oats. And I am sure there are others. FWIW they could get a helluva lot more ETOH from different things besides corn. It is all a political boondoggle and nothing more.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-10-07, 11:47 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I have 2 responses to your post:

1. It is, in fact, taking food out of Americans' mouths, in a very literal sense. If you divert 1/3 of the corn crop to ethanol production, the price of the remaining corn is going to be bid upwards. Every kind of food that requires any corn, including almost all animal products, is going to get significantly more expensive.

2. What do you suggest be done about the already-existing "inflated populations elsewhere"?
I kinda wish you hadn't asked that second question. The answers are often pretty scary, with all kind of "final solution" overtones. (I hope that isn't the case here! Most of us are pretty enlightened and compassionate people.)

Clearly however, the thoughts of Bush and other ethanol proponents are not with the billions of people in the world who barely have enough food to eat already. The sad thing is, we are finally making a little progress on feeding people better. This has taken several decades, and now along comes ethanol with its potential to wipe out these gains in just a year or two.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-10-07, 12:05 PM
r8ingbull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is diverting one-third of our largest food crop to fuel NOT taking food out of American's mouths? It's high school economics, not really that hard to figure out.
You are aware we aren't talking about sweet corn and corn on the cob here right? We're talking about fodder for chickens, pigs, and cows. If you wanted to make a difference encourage people to eat veggies, fruits and grains. I here this figure about 1 unit of energy produces 1.36 units of ethanol energy, but how many units of corn energy produce one unit of meat/poultry energy?

"Animals fed on grain, and those that rely on grazing need far more water than grain crops.[47] According to the USDA, growing the crops necessary to feed farmed animals requires nearly half of the United States' water supply and 80% of its agricultural land. Additionally, animals raised for food in the U.S. consume 90% of the soy crop, 80% of the corn crop, and a total of 70% of its grain.[48] In tracking food animal production from the feed trough to the dinner table, the inefficiencies of meat, milk and egg production range from 4:1 energy input to protein output ratio up to 54:1"
Old 04-10-07, 12:15 PM
r8ingbull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Not only is it affecting corn based products, but land that was being used to grow other food crops is being diverted to corn for ETOH production. IE; wheat, barley and oats. And I am sure there are others. FWIW they could get a helluva lot more ETOH from different things besides corn. It is all a political boondoggle and nothing more.

Aaron
I agree ethanol (what does ETOH mean?) isn't a solution, however it is much better than importing billions of gallons of oil and fighting wars to obtain it. Political boondoggle it is.

Hopefully this drives the value of land for farming up and out of the reach of housing developers. Would you guys rather see more suburbia or more acres of corn and slightly higher food prices?
Old 04-10-07, 01:38 PM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are aware we aren't talking about sweet corn and corn on the cob here right? We're talking about fodder for chickens, pigs, and cows. If you wanted to make a difference encourage people to eat veggies, fruits and grains. I here this figure about 1 unit of energy produces 1.36 units of ethanol energy, but how many units of corn energy produce one unit of meat/poultry energy?

"Animals fed on grain, and those that rely on grazing need far more water than grain crops.[47] According to the USDA, growing the crops necessary to feed farmed animals requires nearly half of the United States' water supply and 80% of its agricultural land. Additionally, animals raised for food in the U.S. consume 90% of the soy crop, 80% of the corn crop, and a total of 70% of its grain.[48] In tracking food animal production from the feed trough to the dinner table, the inefficiencies of meat, milk and egg production range from 4:1 energy input to protein output ratio up to 54:1"
I suspect that since most people don't know this, distributors (not farmers) can jack up the price of corn based food, and most people won't be the wiser. In fact, I'm pretty sure they do this sort of thing all the time.
Old 04-10-07, 02:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 119 Times in 93 Posts
I guess Fidel Castro was right...
https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17850102/

Last edited by cooker; 04-10-07 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 02:35 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
There are some who claim that the disasters (drought, war, etc) may have a basis in climate change (of which some claim the US is the major contributor). Take the case of Lake Chad which has been drying up for many years and has left inhabitants scrambling for arable land.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4906692.stm
It's often easy to assume over-population.
Old 04-10-07, 05:19 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

I agree ethanol (what does ETOH mean?) isn't a solution, however it is much better than importing billions of gallons of oil and fighting wars to obtain it. Political boondoggle it is.

Hopefully this drives the value of land for farming up and out of the reach of housing developers. Would you guys rather see more suburbia or more acres of corn and slightly higher food prices?
Short form of Ethanol, it really should be EtOH. On a personal side I would like to see more organic farms vs regular farms vs housing developments

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 04-10-07, 07:17 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One good side effect of rising food prices is that some people may resort to growing things in their backyards. Also, it will make local, organic farming operations much more viable. I see this as the "silver lining" in this cloud.
Old 04-10-07, 08:36 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by gerv
One good side effect of rising food prices is that some people may resort to growing things in their backyards. Also, it will make local, organic farming operations much more viable. I see this as the "silver lining" in this cloud.
And it might just might cut down on the amount of processed junk food that people eat....nah that would be too much to hope for...

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 04-10-07, 09:35 PM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the government stopped subsidizing ethanol, the price of food would decline pretty quickly again, and ethanol would recede into the obscurity it so richly deserves. Corn-based ethanol is the silliest energy idea I've ever heard about.

You think they don't know this? Does it not strike you the least bit "odd" that this "solution" to oil is being championed by someone who owned an oil company and owns stock in oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.