Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tell me that I'm not going to die

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 01:29 PM
Michael H

Bikes: Redline 925

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read a lot of stories on the boards about people getting hit, reconstructive surgery, etc. Most of the people at work also have a story about their cousin's uncle's step-niece's friend ended up with brain damage after getting hit by a car. I understand these are the risks that we take as bicyclists. A lot of people talk about being hit by a car as an inevitability, it seems. Not an "if" but a "when".

Are these stories in the minority for daily commuters? I hope it's kind of like online reviews for a product - no one makes a new thread to say "everything's just fine", they only speak up when something goes wrong. (In this case, has an accident.) I ride defensively and maintain awareness as best as I can. I've got bright clothes, blinkies, etc. The only in-traffic riding I do involves a paved wide parking/bus lane, so I'm never even really "in-traffic".

Basically I just need someone to reassure me that, while accidents will happen, there are a lot of people who commute on a daily basis and have done so relatively "incident free".
Old 04-30-07, 01:30 PM
Sportskraz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not going to die!
Old 04-30-07, 01:37 PM
Wulfheir
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 years of daily commuting and the only injuries I've sustained have been to my pride.
Old 04-30-07, 01:38 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i ride 365 and never had any issues
Old 04-30-07, 01:40 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Been riding to and from work since I was 13 - almost 35 years, and I am still pretty enough to be a cover girl.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-30-07, 01:44 PM
srsly
the greatest swindle

Bikes: beater single-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buses are the cycling commuter's natural enemy. i can't decide if taxis are worse though... just stay out of people's blind spots and you'll be fine. i commute every day i can from april to october (i can't take being soaked every day) and i've only ever had one close call that was really my fault.
Old 04-30-07, 01:48 PM
Icycle

Bikes: BikeE CT recumbent, Breezer Uptown 8 U-frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Statistically speaking, cycling is fairly safe, especially when you take approriate and effective measures to enhance your safety. Crashes are rare, but you are likely to hear about them, so they may seem a lot more common than they actually are.

One thing that concerns me slightly: what do you mean when you say almost none of your riding is in traffic? Are you riding on multi-use paths? On sidewalks? Or just very low traffic streets? Multi-use paths and sidewalks have their own hazards and are not as safe as many people think. In fact, statisitically speaking, you are much more likely to be hit by a car as a sidewalk cyclist than if you ride in the street.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend taking a local adult cycling skills class, like those offered by the League of American Bicyclists. These classes will help you develop the skills neccessary for on-street cycling and will help you gain the confidence neccessary to cycle more safely and effectively.
Old 04-30-07, 01:48 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got hit once last year but caused more damage to the car than to me. Dude just wasn't paying attention and it was a good thing I was. I just got back up asked the guy to be a bit more careful and continued on to work.

Just pay attention and ride smart to mitigate a lot of the risk.
Old 04-30-07, 01:50 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Now Chipcom, tell the truth, you weren't pretty enough to be a cover girl till you did a few face plants...
Old 04-30-07, 01:53 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you're probably not going to die. I've been doing this for just over a year and haven't died yet.
Old 04-30-07, 01:55 PM
Two Buck Chuck
La Paz Commuter

Bikes: Bortolussi (made in Germany), Titus Motolite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of people worry about me, but I feel pretty safe and haven't had any problems. I have a similar commute in bike lanes and on MUPs. Just keep doing what you're doing, and you will be allright. Freak accidents do happen, but they can happen anywhere and on any mode of transportation. Two women who were legally walking in the crosswalk were run down by a Metro bus just a few months ago, for example.

I'm more worried about being in a wreck on the Beltway than bike commuting.
Old 04-30-07, 01:56 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
Now Chipcom, tell the truth, you weren't pretty enough to be a cover girl till you did a few face plants...
lol, reconstructive asphalt surgery

Cycling is SAFE! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE! (hopefully ) People share their stories as a way to educate others on some potential dangers and how to avoid them, but remember there a 1000's of active members in just this sub-forum alone. It seems like the rate of injury is high, but in reality it is quite low. It was surprising to me to learn that only 700 or so cyclists are killed per year. That figure is ridiculously low considering that a large number of cyclists are doing all the wrong things by riding against traffic, not using lights at night, etc. AND a large number of cyclists are children.

Stay alert, plan for Murphy (as the covergirl likes to say), and ride.
Old 04-30-07, 01:57 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me ask you this: how many people die from automotive-related incidents each year? The rate is about 45,000 in the United States, depending on the sources you look at. How many bicyclists die each year? Not as many, I assure you. People make a big deal about how dangerous one thing or another is, and yet they embark on using one of the most dangerous forms of transportation in the world on a daily basis!
Old 04-30-07, 02:11 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Speed kills - when commuting, it isn't about how fast your are going. Even without a cage around you, hitting something at the speed which a commuter is going (usually 12 to 17 MPH) isn't going to be that bad. Hitting anything going 70 MPH in a car can definitely ruin your day.
Old 04-30-07, 02:11 PM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Bikes: Jamis, Specialized, CoMotion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I don't like to bike alone because 'what if something bad happens?'
At least if I crash there will be someone with me.
One thing you can do to make yourself feel a bit better about IF there is a crash is getting yourself a ROAD ID. This is an info bracelet that has your name, city&State and phone numbers of people that should be called if you should need assistance.
www.roadid.com (no affiliation)
My kids are going to ride their bikes to their school this summer for tutoring. It's only a mile away but both have this (as do the DH and I) in case something happens to them, paramedics have numbers to call.
It makes me feel better to have mine since even WITH my DH riding with me, he'd not remember his own name if he saw me get hit by a car.
Peace of mind.

Oh, and you're not gonna die!

Good luck!
Ginny in Denver
Old 04-30-07, 02:12 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We're all gonna die... But probably not from anything cycling related.

I've been commuting for most of 20 years (high school, college, then work) and I've been involved in a few car-bike scuffles. Between me and the bike, the bike came out of it worse than me, and I've walked away from every car-bike accident I've been in.
I'd say I've averaged 1 car related impact incedent every 6 years, and that was when I was riding some very heavily used roads. All very minor injury things like road-rash and maybe a few stitches.

Ride smart and keep an eye and ear on your surroundings. You'll be fine.
Old 04-30-07, 02:16 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
...at the speed which a commuter is going (usually 12 to 17 MPH)...
Glad to hear. I keep hearing these guys talk about averaging 20 mph, and I think WTH? I average somewhere around 13MPH with stops. 18MPH or so max sustained on flat with no wind on my old Rincon.
Old 04-30-07, 02:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
We're all gonna die... But probably not from anything cycling related.
Too slow! Clifton stole my answer.
Old 04-30-07, 02:24 PM
MyPC8MyBrain
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: Cannondale t-700 [commuter], Cannondale MT-800 [Tandem so the Lil Misses can keep up], GT I drive Team [My tricked out Racer MTB]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drive like they dont see you
watch you mirror for right hooks [and everything else]
lefties are too busy on their cell phone to notice you
and dogs will only chase on the uphills :-)

Stupid people rule the world and the roadways.
Be a smart little fife in their kingdom.

Oh yeah... keep the rubber side down :-)
Old 04-30-07, 02:25 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rule 1: Pay attention to everything going on around you.
Rule 2: Plan for Murphy - expect the other guy to do the stupidest thing possible and plan your options accordingly, just in case he does.
Rule 3: Don't get in a big hurry and do something stupid. When in doubt, slow the frack down.
Rule 4: Be predictable by following same laws that other traffic must follow.
Rule 5: Do everything you can to be visible and never assume the other guy sees you.

For a good read about cycling in traffic, see if you can find 'The Art of Cycling' (2nd edition) by Robert Hurst.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-30-07, 02:30 PM
HoustonGal

Bikes: Liv Vall E+

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
The chances of expiring on your commuting route are indeed slim. You sound like a cautious sort of person. And the defensive riding advice given out here is right on.

I sympathize. I also ride horses. After the Christopher Reeve incident, for months I heard all about how I was certainly going to be paralyzed if I kept riding and jumping . It's now nearly 10 years later, and though I've eaten dirt many times, I have yet to sustain any serious injury. I also don't jump very high, or ride super hot horses, so I'm sure that's helped a lot.
Old 04-30-07, 02:32 PM
pianomahnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones
Glad to hear. I keep hearing these guys talk about averaging 20 mph, and I think WTH? I average somewhere around 13MPH with stops. 18MPH or so max sustained on flat with no wind on my old Rincon.
People have varying physical skills, such is life. I can cruise at 20 on a flat surface without much effort. Pushing it around 25 for a sustained period gets pretty rough, and anything over that starts making my heart hurt. ;-)
Old 04-30-07, 02:33 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
You are gonna die!

If not by getting mowed down by an 18 wheeler, then mebbe falling down the stairs or by way of someone shooting you in the leg and afterwards in the head. Or mebbe you might just die in your sleep. It's just a fact of life...
Old 04-30-07, 02:37 PM
bikedaddy

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You probably are going to die.. but I'd wager it won't be on a bike. In fact if you ride everyday, obey the traffic laws, and make yourself visible you'll probably live a lot longer than many of those scary cagers who you will out live due to your excellent health.
Old 04-30-07, 02:39 PM
ftrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been fine, except for the one driver who plowed through a red light, and into me. (surgery, permanent spinal damage)

other than that, no complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.