Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how long to soak chain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

how long to soak chain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 05:24 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long to soak chain?

A thousand threads on cleaning a chain, but seemingly none telling how long a chain should be soaked in simple green to remove all the crap! Half an hour, a day, what?
Old 05-01-07, 06:27 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I usually seal mine in a container and shake for a minute or five. It all depends how dirty the chain is, but the agitation does help.
Old 05-01-07, 06:36 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received Bicycling today. They have an article about myths and one of them is chain soaking. They actually do not recommend soaking a chain as this results in removing lube from the inner parts of the links where it is almost impossible to insert it back.
Old 05-01-07, 06:39 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gpelpel
Just received Bicycling today. They have an article about myths and one of them is chain soaking. They actually do not recommend soaking a chain as this results in removing lube from the inner parts of the links where it is almost impossible to insert it back.
Brought to you by Shimano™
Old 05-01-07, 07:55 PM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soaking your chain should be viewed like aging fine wine. Would let it soak for several years.
Old 05-01-07, 08:04 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
So, Bicycling has joined the endless chain-cleaning thread.
Old 05-02-07, 02:46 AM
registered usar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brought to you by Shimano?

Shimano doesn't want chains lasting very long so you can buy their stuff more frequently?

I read AAA's monthly mag and it said don't put denatured alcohol in a car to help it pass smog...it's just an old wives tale. But it really does work.
Old 05-02-07, 01:31 PM
beowoulfe
Honorable Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use mineral spirits, but this should work with simple green as well.

I put my chain in a coffee can. Big recumbent chain so big coffee can, WITH A LID due to spatter.

Cover the chain with degreaser of choice.

I use an old variable speed orbital sander upside down and set the coffee can on the pad. Turn the thing on and listen to a few tunes while holding the can on the sander. Really gets the grit out!!
Old 05-02-07, 01:43 PM
humble_biker
so much for physics

Bikes: Scott CR1 team, Fuji track pro, NYCbike, Cannondale, Free Spirit, GT Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the only thing t worry about and it is purely cosmetic is if you soak a chain in citrus cleaners or other high acid degreasers you'll discolor your chain. Doesn't hurt it just "tie dyes" it.
Old 05-02-07, 03:39 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by registered usar
Brought to you by Shimano?

Shimano doesn't want chains lasting very long so you can buy their stuff more frequently?
It's hooey. https://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#lube
Old 05-02-07, 04:47 PM
capwater

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
So, Bicycling has joined the endless chain-cleaning thread.
This is the same rag 6 months ago that had a pro wrench proclaim that chains should be changed every 1000 miles. OK I'll be nice to the mag since they sponsor my race team.
Old 05-02-07, 04:49 PM
bkaapcke

Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I can understand why MTB riders who can't resist mud would need to soak their chains. Roadies and paved trail riders should not have to soak their chain ever. Clean it more often, and it won't get that groady. I use a little (very little) Brakekleen, Costco car towels and one pipecleaner to do the chain after every ride. I do it on the bike. Because the chain is relatively clean, it only takes a few minutes, and my 'bent has a 9 1/2 foot chain. Also, I use only a small amount of lube. My rig always works flawlessly. bk
Old 05-03-07, 05:22 AM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I can understand why MTB riders who can't resist mud would need to soak their chains. Roadies and paved trail riders should not have to soak their chain ever. Clean it more often, and it won't get that groady. I use a little (very little) Brakekleen, Costco car towels and one pipecleaner to do the chain after every ride. I do it on the bike. Because the chain is relatively clean, it only takes a few minutes, and my 'bent has a 9 1/2 foot chain. Also, I use only a small amount of lube. My rig always works flawlessly. bk
I follow the manufacturers suggestion: no soaking. And its not just Shimano - SRAM, Campy, KMC will advise the same as well. Keep the chain lubricated using the drop wise method. Clean with a stiff brush if gritty. Do this after every ride.

OTOH, if the chain has been ignored for 2000 miles, just replace it (and probably the cassette) if it is out of spec for stretch. Soaking a chain will not improve a worn out chain.

Most problems with chains are due to lack of regular maintenance, regular checks and so on.