Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle for long-haul?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle for long-haul?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 09:44 PM
peanut_man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle for long-haul?

Yes, another saddle question from a noobie. And yes I did a search on the most comfortable saddle and get the usual Fizik arione, Specialized toupe, Selle Italia Flite, and Various other Selle italia recommendation. But I'm still wondering what would be most comfortable for say a century ride? These same saddle applies?

Basically I'm asking because I recently completed a metric century (my longest ride todate). My legs are abit sore and I did develop a cram toward the end but I could take it easy and it was fine. My hands are a little sore, but not bad at all. The most problem I have with is my seat. It's just sore. That seems to be more of the limiting factor than anything else for long ride.

So, looking for some recommendation. And yes, I realized every butt is different. However, I couldn't possibly really test out all the saddle selection out there. So I'm looking for some guidelines that would increase the chances that my next saddle purchase that it'll be my last.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-07, 09:56 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you go back and read the most recent twenty (or thirty, or forty, or fifty) saddle threads, there is one clear answer: only you can figure out which saddle is most comfortable for you.

The biggest factor in saddle comfort is not the saddle. It is bar height, and the distance from the rear of the saddle to the front of the stem. If the top of your bars is level with the top of the saddle, and you have selected a bike that enables you to have a comfortable reach from the saddle to the bars, most good saddles will be comfortable after you and the saddle get used to each other.

Most roadies, impressed by the pro cyclists they see on TV, have their bars two, three, or even four inches lower than the saddle. They buy bikes with top tubes and stems that are too long, to imitate that stretched out position pro cyclists use in time trials. And, the result is crotch pain and crotch numbness, caused by rotating the pelvis forward, shifting the rider's weight from his sitbones forward onto the soft bits.

Ride for a week or two with the high part of the bars level with the saddle, and you will notice a big improvement in crotch comfort. And, surprisingly, a firm saddle, with little or no padding, is often the most comfortable on a long ride. The soft, padded type saddles seem comfortable on a short ride, but their softness allows the sitbones to sink down into the padding, putting pressure on the crotch. A firmer saddle keeps your weight on the sitbones.
Old 05-01-07, 10:44 PM
Ebergram

Bikes: Jack Taylor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this saddle rocks!!

koobi PRS - Enduro

https://www.koobi.com/index.asp?PageA...WPROD&ProdID=3
Old 05-01-07, 10:47 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I will never get tired of posting this picture

Selle San Marco Aspide SE Ti, FTW.
Old 05-01-07, 10:49 PM
peanut_man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Ride for a week or two with the high part of the bars level with the saddle, and you will notice a big improvement in crotch comfort. And, surprisingly, a firm saddle, with little or no padding, is often the most comfortable on a long ride. The soft, padded type saddles seem comfortable on a short ride, but their softness allows the sitbones to sink down into the padding, putting pressure on the crotch. A firmer saddle keeps your weight on the sitbones.
Yes, as stated every butt is different, but to be practical, I'm looking for some guidelines. And this is one new bit of info you have provided me as a guide line, thanks. I was looking into those softer saddle also, but this argument will help me avoid them, now that I know better.
Old 05-01-07, 11:08 PM
zekebobish
Gingerbread Man

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
omg, thas great! deff one of those "right-click, save-as"
Old 05-01-07, 11:11 PM
Mach42

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress

I take it that you've sold the "Ass Shaft." That was the funniest sig that I've seen here.
Old 05-02-07, 12:31 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by peanut_man
Yes, as stated every butt is different
it has nothing to do with your butt, it has to do with your sit bones, which has been mentioned time and time again. get a saddle wider than your sit bones and you'll feel comfortable, get one that narrower than your sit bones and you'll feel discomfort, any questions?

and don't think that sit bone width and body type are related, they're not. just because someone may have a large butt, doesn't mean the bones underneath are large too...
Old 05-02-07, 06:04 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
What is that little thing hanging under the saddle...a condom?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-02-07, 02:27 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm re-addressing this issue as well.
My roadbike has the Arione Tri model. Previously I'd found it more comfortable than my well worn Brooks Team Pro (which I vainly refuse to put on my CF ride). A century last Sunday brought to light an oft repeated comment about the Arione: it's great for a while, but long haul it's an ass hatchet. That's an understatement. My taint actually feels bruised, so hopefully by next weekend my new saddle with a cut out will arrive. We'll see.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 05-02-07, 03:04 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They really need to just install a button on my keyboard that says BROOKS.
Old 05-07-07, 07:30 AM
peanut_man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
it has nothing to do with your butt, it has to do with your sit bones, which has been mentioned time and time again. get a saddle wider than your sit bones and you'll feel comfortable, get one that narrower than your sit bones and you'll feel discomfort, any questions?
Yup, obvious question: How do I find out which saddles are wider than my sit bones?
Old 05-07-07, 07:48 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by peanut_man
Yup, obvious question: How do I find out which saddles are wider than my sit bones?

Some bike shops have the "butt-o-meter" a piece of memory foam that you sit on.
Old 05-07-07, 11:19 AM
RussB

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you looking for guidelines for the right saddle? Try this link. It's an article titled "the Quest for the Perfect Saddle". But Alanbike houston is absolutely right about harder saddles being better for long rides.

https://active.com/story.cfm?story_id...tegory=cycling

Last edited by RussB; 05-07-07 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 11:31 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
the toupe, but each bum is different. later.