Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

rear racks for fixed gear bikes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 10:04 AM
ieandro
Jersey Boy Yeah

Bikes: Trek 1000, Debernardi Track, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Tarmac Expert, Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For you fixed gear commuters out there .. does anyone know of a rear rack that will fit bikes that do not have eyelets for traditional rear racks ? I have a debernardi frame which is only drilled for brakes and nothing else. For example, are there racks that mount through the seat post collar and axle nuts?

I've been riding my bike on the daily and realize there are some days where i need to lug around some things that would not normally fit in my bag, but I also would like the conveniece of easy removal when need to.
Old 06-19-07, 10:26 AM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ieandro
For you fixed gear commuters out there .. does anyone know of a rear rack that will fit bikes that do not have eyelets for traditional rear racks ? I have a debernardi frame which is only drilled for brakes and nothing else. For example, are there racks that mount through the seat post collar and axle nuts?

I've been riding my bike on the daily and realize there are some days where i need to lug around some things that would not normally fit in my bag, but I also would like the conveniece of easy removal when need to.
You could get a seatpost-clamp quick release rack and possibly mount it on the seattube (for extra strength, they're designed for MTB's with the huge seatposts). Or you could just go to a hardware store and get some U-clamps and put them on your seatstays.
Old 06-19-07, 10:32 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bike is a conversion with horizontal dropout with the eyletes on the dropouts, but no braze-ons. I rigged up two hose clamps on the brake bridge, with a chunk of tube underneith to protect the paint and use an old QR skewer through the rack mounts and hose clamps to hold the top on.... looks ghetto as heck, but beats having to haul loads on your back.

rack.JPG
Old 06-19-07, 10:33 AM
llalagen
Born to Lose

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez, px 10 conversion, Raleigh Robinhood cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
p clamps on the seat stays are definitely the way to go,... quick release anything just means one more part that you have to lock up.
Old 06-19-07, 10:35 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've wondered if you could do this. My rear wheel has a nutted axle that's hollow. If you got a long quick release, like from a tandem, and ran it through the axel (after tightening the lugs, of course,) - would that hold a rack? You would have to spread the rack out, but that's easy to do. You would have to remove the rack whenever you removed the rear wheel, but that would only be a medium grade pain in the ass.

Come to think of it, you wouldn't even need a quick release. Hardware stores sell threaded rods. get a diameter that fits through the axel and cut to the desired length. Run the rod through the quick release and the rack eyelets.

For the top, they sell seatpost clamps that have you can attach a rack to. Or go to the brake bolt.
Old 06-19-07, 10:41 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by llalagen
quick release anything just means one more part that you have to lock up.
Only the top is on the QR, you would still have to unbolt the bottom mounts.

Plus, if I had to... running my cable around one more thing isn't too hard.
Old 06-19-07, 10:43 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would just consider drilling and tapping a pair of holes in your rear dropouts, if you can find the space somewhere. Even the tapping is unnecessary since you could run a nylock nut on the other side. This setup will look a lot better and function a lot smoother than either some funny clamps or something that comes off every time your wheel does.
Old 06-19-07, 10:51 AM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make racks which are mounted with an "L" shaped bracket at the brake bridge. You would just have to find a way to anchor the legs to the axel or something. I just tied the legs to the fork ends with bailing wire once and it held up fine for the day.

Seatpost rack would be the easiest, but they have 25 pound limits.
Old 06-19-07, 10:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Rivendell has a bunch of small parts for attaching racks to bikes without mounts:

https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/baggage_racks/20016.html
Old 06-19-07, 10:56 AM
clayborne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode with a quick release rack for about a year. I broke it 2 weeks ago in a fixed coastal camping ride. I would check the weight limits carefully, mine maxed out at 17 pounds or something. It was cheap and had it for a year, and being able to take it on an off with ease was a huge blessing. Scratches carbon seatposts really easily.
Old 06-19-07, 11:21 AM
fatbat
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ieandro

The debernardi has nice burly dropouts. I would just take the bike to a shop, and have them drill and tap threaded holes for the rack into the dropout.

I like the tubus fly rack- it has a really secure mount to the rear brake drilling, and you should be able to run it with lower p-clamps if you don't want to add rack mounts to the frame.

Note that you'll probably have problems with heel strike using big panniers on a track bike- look for small ones, or ones with a anti-heelstrike shape.
Old 06-19-07, 11:25 AM
Moto-Velo
Señor Member

Bikes: Rivendell Rambouillet, GT Lightning, Bridgestone RB-2, Johnny Coast Track, Sekine Medialle SHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got this. It's fantastic.

It came with four p-clamps, so the top struts don't need to attach to rack eyelets.
Old 06-19-07, 11:30 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's hot.
Old 06-19-07, 11:30 AM
joshuastar
i'd leave the sweet stuff

Bikes: BCA ten speed / 2007 bfssfg group buy IRO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oooh ahhh...any more info? model number? where you found it?
Old 06-19-07, 11:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
VERY nice.
Old 06-19-07, 12:27 PM
Moto-Velo
Señor Member

Bikes: Rivendell Rambouillet, GT Lightning, Bridgestone RB-2, Johnny Coast Track, Sekine Medialle SHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The rack is a Nitto R15, which you can find here. I got it from my LBS of choice, though. If you click on the "Sheldon" link in my sig you can see my townie bike with that rack mounted. My townie does have dropout eyelets, but not seatstay rack eyelets.
Old 06-19-07, 12:30 PM
Bikkhu
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I quite like Tubus racks. I have the "Fly" model on my CrossCheck

https://www.tubus.net/eng/index.php
Old 06-19-07, 12:33 PM
dystaind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just recently got a rack from REI. They have special clamps for the back if you don't have the braze-on's. they cost me $1.00 for 2... but they fit nicely-- had plastic sheaths to prevent paint scratching, and just went through a 300+ mile ride with 30 lbs. on the back and no problems.

the rack I got was the topeak explorer... ran about $28. hope that helps.
Old 06-19-07, 12:34 PM
Moto-Velo
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agreed with Tubus racks. The Fly and Luna are super hot. I like them because they're slim and minimalist. My geared roadie has a Luna (Grant in the sig).
Old 06-19-07, 12:37 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much weight does that nitto hold?
Old 06-19-07, 12:42 PM
joshuastar
i'd leave the sweet stuff

Bikes: BCA ten speed / 2007 bfssfg group buy IRO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moto-Velo
The rack is a Nitto R15, which you can find here. I got it from my LBS of choice, though. If you click on the "Sheldon" link in my sig you can see my townie bike with that rack mounted. My townie does have dropout eyelets, but not seatstay rack eyelets.

nice. thanks alot.
Old 06-19-07, 12:43 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Find one of the old Jim Blackburn racks that attaches to the rear brake bolt. It's a good way to cover that ugly hole if you don't run a rear brake. Just use a 6mm bolt and nut. I paid $10 each for the ones on my wife's bikes.

Old 06-19-07, 12:45 PM
Moto-Velo
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure about weight capacity on the Nitto rack. The construction is pretty solid tubular steel. I think the weak point would be the lower mounting struts, though, so its flexibility in mounting options comes at a price. The most I've had on it so far is maybe twenty pounds. No complaints whatsoever at that point. Though I do have to say that my Tubus Luna rack feels MUCH more solid. Its posted weight limit is 40 pounds. I think it could probably handle more, but honestly I wouldn't want to be carrying that much weight around.
Old 06-19-07, 03:29 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Axiom has some nice stuff:
https://www.axiomgear.com/index_2.php

One of their seatpost racks will handle panniers and 55lbs.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-19-07, 05:50 PM
ieandro
Jersey Boy Yeah

Bikes: Trek 1000, Debernardi Track, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Tarmac Expert, Specialized Allez Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moto-Velo
I've got this. It's fantastic.

It came with four p-clamps, so the top struts don't need to attach to rack eyelets.

Excellent !

I dont plan on any kind of drilling on my frame so I will have to use p-clamps on the top and bottom struts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.