Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear wheel spacing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

rear wheel spacing

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 11:59 AM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rear wheel spacing

Hi everyone,
I purchased a used Lemond Tourmalet (2002-ish) the other day and I'm having some problems. The guy who owned it before me replaced the stock wheels with Rolf Vector 24-spoke wheels, and I think the spacing is off. When I mash, from a stop, the rear wheel gets pulled out of the dropouts (horizontal). I checked the quick release skewer, springs, etc, and they are all in good shape. I thought at first I just hadn't tightened the quick release enough, but it happens no matter how tight I make it.

The reason I think it may be a spacing issue is because, when I set the rear wheel in the drop-outs, the rear triangle doesn't line up with the bit of axle sticking out. Instead, I have to tighten the quick release to flex the rear triangle in to rest on the axle. Once tightened, it comfortably rests on the axle on both sides. I would say that the triangle has to flex about half an inch to get to this point.

This is my first "real" road bike, so I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. My hybrid and mtn bikes do not flex the rear triangle - it just lines up when you set the wheel in. I think the "pop out" problem is related to this, but could be wrong. What do you all think?

If the flexing is the issue, what do you suggest to fix it? I've heard you can get the spacing adjusted on your rear triangle, but I don't know if that's a good idea. Would it be be a better idea to replace the hubs with something a little longer?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-29-07, 12:14 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
I don't think the flexing is the issue. My guess is that the axle is protruding outside one or both of the dropouts and the QR is clamping down on the axle instead of the dropouts.

Measure the spacing of the frame. If it's 130mm (about 5 1/8"), someone has likely reduced the spacing of the Rolf rear wheel (maybe to work in an old 126mm frame?). You can add axle spacers to get it back up to 130mm but you will likely also have to redish the wheel (unless you add half to each side).

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 06-29-07 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 01:22 PM
well biked 

Liked 170 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by trich
Once tightened, it comfortably rests on the axle on both sides. I would say that the triangle has to flex about half an inch to get to this point.
If your estimate is correct and the dropouts are really spaced about 1/2" wider than the hub's axle spacing, then you've got a significant problem you need to address. That would be around 12-13mm too wide. If that's the case, I could definitely see that causing the problem you describe. What's the dropout spacing? It should be 130mm on that bike. What's the spacing of the hub?

And I agree with Gonzo Bob that it could be the axle is protruding past the face of the dropout(s) once the dropouts are flexed inward, and therefore the QR isn't able to work correctly. But seriously, if you've got that much difference between the dropout spacing and the axle spacing, that's likely the problem and you need to take care of that-
Old 06-29-07, 01:42 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,418 Times in 968 Posts
"...when I set the rear wheel in the drop-outs, the rear triangle doesn't line up with the bit of axle sticking out..."
You can't have ANY axle sticking out past the dropouts with a QR.
Is the axle a bit "short" on the other side?
Old 06-29-07, 02:05 PM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got to agree that your axle is either offset to one side or is too long. You shouldn't see any axle sticking out from the dropout.
Old 06-29-07, 02:39 PM
well biked 

I took the "bit of axle sticking out" to mean the ends of the axle that extend beyond the lock nuts, not that the ends are necessarily sticking out past the face of the dropouts. Maybe I interpreted it wrong, I don't know. But yeah, if the axle extends beyond the face of the dropouts, that's a problem that would cause the slippage. But still, a rear triangle that has to be flexed inward 1/2" to secure the axle? I could definitely see that causing the problem, too-
Old 06-29-07, 02:40 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry - I meant the bit of the axle that sticks out past the hub casing. I'll double check again tonight, but I don't remember the axle sticking out past the dropout at all. I'll measure the frame spacing and the axle length while I'm at it and get some pictures up for your review as well.
Old 06-29-07, 02:46 PM
ilbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check and be sure the frame isnt cracked
Old 06-30-07, 06:40 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wasn't aware that any new bike had horizontal dropouts.
Old 07-02-07, 10:21 AM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I measured the spacing on the frame and it is about 149mm, and the axle is 130mm. This means I'm flexing about 19mm. Therefore, I assume this is the main problem. I took the bike to my LBS to see what they thought, and they should look at it today sometime. I'll let you know what they think, but I'm pretty sure this is the ultimate problem. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and help!
Old 07-02-07, 10:27 AM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds as if the frame is bent or cracked. 149mm spacing doesn't make sense.
Old 07-02-07, 10:41 AM
well biked 

I measured the spacing on the frame and it is about 149mm, and the axle is 130mm. This means I'm flexing about 19mm. Therefore, I assume this is the main problem. I took the bike to my LBS to see what they thought, and they should look at it today sometime. I'll let you know what they think, but I'm pretty sure this is the ultimate problem. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and help!
Good luck with it. That bike should have dropout spacing of 130mm, so something is definitely screwy. The 149mm certainly explains why you couldn't keep the rear wheel from slipping, I'm surprised it was rideable at all. Let us know how it turns out-
Old 07-03-07, 11:27 AM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I got a call back from the LBS yesterday. The mechanic said that the drive-side triangle is bent out 9.6mm and the whole triangle is shifted to the drive side another 8.8mm. He said the most likely cause of this was a car accident, but in any case, he said it is irreperable. Do you all agree? Should I take the bike to another shop for a second opinion, or are they going to just tell me the same thing?
Old 07-03-07, 11:41 AM
well biked 

So, I got a call back from the LBS yesterday. The mechanic said that the drive-side triangle is bent out 9.6mm and the whole triangle is shifted to the drive side another 8.8mm. He said the most likely cause of this was a car accident, but in any case, he said it is irreperable. Do you all agree? Should I take the bike to another shop for a second opinion, or are they going to just tell me the same thing?
Is that a steel frame? If so, there might be hope. Otherwise, I'd say it's a goner for sure. I had a frame repair done once by the nice folks at Southwest Frameworks in Dallas, but it was a much more minor situation than what you're describing. You might contact them, describe the situation, see what they say. David is the owner, and he's been building steel frames for a very long time. I thought his price for what I had him do was very reasonable. Or to avoid shipping costs, you might try and find a framebuilder in your local area-

www.southwestframeworks.com
Old 07-03-07, 12:01 PM
vpiuva

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You need to find the guy you bought it from and lay some serious hurt on him
Old 07-05-07, 07:51 AM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two bike shops both said that there is nothing that can be done to save it. They said that if they try to bend it back into the correct alignment, the frame will just re-bend out of shape ("metal memory"). I was wondering if anyone had any success with a frame that was bent at least that far out of true?

I emailed the guys over at Southwest Frameworks, so maybe they can help. I'm also going to see if I can find a frame builder in the St. Louis area and see if they can do anything.
Old 07-05-07, 09:19 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much did you pay for it?

- Will Rogers
Old 07-05-07, 09:49 AM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$350 and I've been on it less than 100 miles.
Old 07-05-07, 09:53 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vpiuva
You need to find the guy you bought it from and lay some serious hurt on him
Yep.

- Will Rogers