Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Maiden Voyage on Fixed Gear!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 11:34 PM
Kid-Cycle
Folsom Prison Blues

Bikes: '04 Trek 5200, '73 Raleigh Grand Sport "Fixie" & '94 Specialized Rock Hopper Comp MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a roadie at heart but wanted to play around with building a fixed gear bike. Wasn't sure what I was getting into but thought it would be fun to build one, which it was. Anyway, I had been looking on Craigs List for quite a while and finally found a 1973 Raleigh Carlton 10 speed frame that fit me. I scavenged brakes, stem, and wheels from my Aunts 70's era La Manns bike and cranks from my wifes old 85 mountain bike and built myself a fixie! I bought a fixed gear/single speed hub and had it laced to the old 27 inch wheel and replaced the bottom bracket with a mid level Shimano sealed bearing bracket and went with Nitto pursuit handle bar.

As for the ride I went on a 20 mile loop which I do frequently and found it took a little getting used... not being able to coast, especially through corners at speed. There were a few climbs which were tougher than usual and a couple of down hills which I had to brake on to keep my cadence from getting out of control. All in all it was fun and is definitely more of a workout than the same ride on my geared road bike.

No plans to give up my road bike but it is fun to mix it up a bit. Any other Clydes mess around with a fixie?
Old 07-15-07, 12:04 AM
Dr_Robert
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kid-Cycle
Any other Clydes mess around with a fixie?
I have been seriously considering building one up. Especially given that all of my other bike projects are going to cost at least $1000, and I can build a sweet fixie for about half that.

I may have to order a Steamroller frame set and go from there...

-DR

Last edited by Dr_Robert; 07-15-07 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-15-07, 12:43 AM
Kid-Cycle
Folsom Prison Blues

Bikes: '04 Trek 5200, '73 Raleigh Grand Sport "Fixie" & '94 Specialized Rock Hopper Comp MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went on the cheap as I wasn't sure it would be something I would like... so far I have just under $300 invested which isn't a big deal if I decide fixed gear riding is not for me. If it turns out to be something I love then I could see upgrading to a nice track frame with better running gear someday. I must say though the old double butted Cr tubing provides a smooooth ride. When out of the saddle the flex in the bottom bracket is huge compared to my CF road frame.
Old 07-15-07, 01:23 AM
SpecRider

Bikes: specialized hardrock, dyno vfr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where do you take your 20mile loop? im in rancho cordova right by the bike trail
Old 07-15-07, 02:59 AM
Dr_Robert
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$300? Sounds like a great way to get my new bike fix without breaking the bank...
Old 07-15-07, 04:26 AM
peterockindy
squirrel please!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've got a 58cm bianchi san jose im trying to trade or sell if anyone has any interest.
Old 07-15-07, 05:47 AM
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking of getting one, but maybe a Single Speed with a Fixed Flip Flop hub. Thgought about finding a frame and doing it that way, but the shop has many Bianchis to look at and they do make a nice bike.

I think a 58 CM would be too big for me.
Old 07-15-07, 05:53 AM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up my brand spanking new and shiny Steamroller yesterday. Did a very very short ride yesterday to give it a bash and as you say, its a challenge I've been working my ass off on an assignment ever since but now that is over I think I'll go do a real ride tomorrow morning. Can't wait.
Old 07-15-07, 01:31 PM
Kid-Cycle
Folsom Prison Blues

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SpecRider - the 20 mile loop is around Lake Natoma on the American River Bike Trail. The actual distance around the lake is 12 miles and 4 miles from my house to AR trail head off of Parkshore Drive near Folsom Blvd.

Over 4th of July I road down to Hagan Park where you took the picture with the Clydesdale draft horse. If you would like to hookup for a ride let me know. I generally ride Sat and Sun afternoons (20 to 30 miles) and try to get in one or two week day evening rides (15 to 20). My pace ranges from 16 to 18 mph.

Ang1sgt - I did go with a flip-flop (fixed gear one side and single speed freewheel on the other). I haven't used the single speed yet but from what I've read (Sheldon Brown) it is good to have I single speed with a cog or two larger gear to help out if you get tired or caught in hills that are too steep for your fixed gear ratio. The thought behind the single speed side with a larger gear is to allow you to get up steeper hills and let you can coast down the other side.
Old 07-15-07, 08:20 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I just bought a fixed gear bike off of bikesdirect.com - I took the same approach as Kid-Cycle and got a cheapo to see if I liked it. Two of my non-clyde friends ride fixed almost exclusively and they love it. If anyone else is interested, this is the bike I got: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/thehour.htm
Old 07-15-07, 09:16 PM
justintime8425

Bikes: 07' Biacnchi Pista, 06' Felt Jumpshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my fixie. I got a 07' Raleigh Rush Hour. I have been riding every day down at the local mellowdrome(old car racing track that was converted to bike track, just not as steep as a true velodrome) and consistently due about 1-2 hours. I got a set of aero bars that i use and it makes a huge differene. With the bars i can get down be comfortable and maintain a nice speed. I'm about 225lbs. at 5"8 and im hoping all this riding will shed a few pounds. Oh about the windsor i'm ordering one tuesday for my gf. I've heard pretty good things about them for the price.
Old 07-15-07, 10:02 PM
themickeyd
Got Bent?

Bikes: Rans F5 Enduro XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kid-Cycle
No plans to give up my road bike but it is fun to mix it up a bit. Any other Clydes mess around with a fixie?
I found an old Schwinn World Sport to a fixie and it's now my main commuting bike. It's pretty much all stock parts except for the wheels. I got a flip flop wheel set on Ebay and have yet to "flip" them. I started out with 52x19 gearing, and a first I thought it was going to kill me. But I was able to complete a 30 mile ride in 1:50 and only had problems on the one cliff. . .errr slightly steep hill. It was quicker to run up than try and flip over to the 22 free wheel (I don't the 22 would have helped on the hill).

I upped the gearing the other day to 52x16, it's currently pretty hard to get going. But I know the more I ride the legs get crazy strong. I can feel such a difference when I'm on my road and mountain bikes. It's the best training I have ever done.