Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Noob confused by service at LBS

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 08:47 AM
sparklingrobots
Enthusiast

Bikes: Electra Amsterdam Royal 8i, a custom Nashbar touring bike...custom for somebody else, but I love him anyway, and a Surly Cross-Check frameset waiting to be built.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The background:

I brought my bike in to a LBS last Wednesday for their deluxe tune-up and to get some pedals installed. I bought it used and wanted somebody to clean it up and let me know if there's anything that needs fixing. I was told it would be ready by this Tuesday (the 17th) at 5 pm. On the 17th, I called in to check on my bike, but it wasn't ready and no time estimate was given.

Two days later I called and the bike was still not ready; the employee had to hunt it down since he couldn't find it by using my name. He said it would be ready by 5 pm that day. So, I arrived at the shop around 5 pm and the clerk said that they had forgotten to take care of my bike and that it should be ready in 45 minutes.

When I arrived, my bike was in the work area and was brought out to me. The guy who brought it out pointed out that the seat was crooked and adjusted it. The tires were also 35 lbs under the recommended pressure so he aired those up. Once on the bike, I realized the brakes are squeaking (more like howling) which they weren't doing when I brought it in. None of the employees seemed to have worked on my bike, nor did they have any idea who did work on it, or what may have been done to it. The pedals were installed, as I had asked, but I find myself wondering if anything else was done (aside from whatever made the brakes howl).

They didn't charge me, but they also don't seem to have any clue about who (if anyone) worked on the bike. Nor did they explain why they didn't charge me. Nobody I talked to even seemed to know what I'd asked to have done on the bike.

The questions:

a) How can I tell if they actually tuned up the bike? I'm a noob (as previously mentioned) so I don't really know. The brakes are tighter but also loud. Other than that it doesn't seem much different.

b) Is there something wrong with my brakes? Or does this happen sometimes? They are so loud that I've been riding to minimize how much I use them.

c) What should I do? Do you think they just canceled the charge because they were repeatedly late getting it done? Or...something more sinister?

Anyway I thought I'd get some opinions here before I called them up and complained. Is this typical? I've never had this type of experience, with evasive confused clerks and then mysteriously not being charged. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-20-07, 08:53 AM
johnniewalker85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The brake pads need to be adjusted a little to quiet them down. If the brakes were tighter they probably tuned the brakes.

Was this a regular specialty bike shop? Most of the time there aren't too many people working at the shops near me and they would know who worked on it.

They probably canceled the charge because they were late.
Old 07-20-07, 08:58 AM
freako
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noting is wrong with your bike...untill you took it to that LBS! The one thing you know they did was to install the pedals and for that they should charge you for, but I think their being nice by not because they know it took longer then promised and you still have issues which means they rushed the job. I don't think anything sinister was done, it was just repeatly late and not done right.

The brakes howl because someone didn't adjust the toe-in on the pads correctly, and tighter does not necessarily mean better. In fact too tight on the front could cause you to flip the bike in a panic stop. I keep my front brake rather loose which would require a complete squeeze of the brake lever to make it flip.

There is no reason to complain since they didn't charge you. If nothing else on the bike seems out of the norm then I would take it to another LBS and have the service done again just for peace of mind, and avoid that LBS in the future for repairs.
Old 07-20-07, 09:00 AM
sparklingrobots
Enthusiast

Bikes: Electra Amsterdam Royal 8i, a custom Nashbar touring bike...custom for somebody else, but I love him anyway, and a Surly Cross-Check frameset waiting to be built.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's a local shop that's been around for 50 years, focused on bikes (not like a Big 5 or something). Kind of a larger shop, but not huge by any means.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-20-07, 09:26 AM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never had an experience like that at any LBS, and it worries me that they continually pushed back your delivery date. When you gave them the bike, did they give you a copy of the work order? If not, I would request one, and make sure it has everything you requested them to do on it. Relying on some guy to remember what needed to be done, when he probably sees dozens of bikes a day, is asking for trouble.

To determine if they did anything, check out the chain and surfaces it runs over - are they clean and lubed, or do they look dirty/rusty? That's probably going to be the easiest way to determine if they even touched your bike.

With regards to the brakes, I would take it back and ask them to adjust them again (if not perform the tune-up again). Squealing can be caused by a few things, with the most common being dirty rims, "glazed" brake pads, or mis-aligned pads. The brake pads should be toed (towed?) in toward the front to limit brake noise. If it is just fine tuning, you could even run some sand paper over the pads to rough them up (this will fix the glazing issue). If the rims are dirty, some solvent on a rag (careful to avoid getting any on the tires) should take it off.

Good luck, and if you get a similar experience out of them again, I would look for another shop.
Old 07-20-07, 10:20 AM
johnniewalker85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I was going to suggest dirty rims too. I always found simple green worked well for rim cleaning.
Old 07-20-07, 11:02 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Sounds like they didn't get around to working on your bike at all, and that's why they didn't charge you.

My first suggestion: Find a new LBS. Sometimes things get busy and jobs get late, but they should have an organized system to know where your bike is and how many other jobs are in line before it.

My second suggestion: Don't get a tune-up... ever. I used to work in a bike shop, and all that means is they look at and adjust the brakes and shifters, ait the tires, and wipe the bike clean, then charge something like $50 for it whether it needed any adjustments or not. Just bring it in when something isn't working and tell them what's wrong, then they'll look at it and tell you exactly what work needs to be done.
Old 07-20-07, 11:20 AM
roadfix
hello

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Did they give you a work order when you left them the bike?
Old 07-20-07, 11:31 AM
sparklingrobots
Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked the chain--the stuff on my fingers was black but not gritty, so it seems fairly clean (?).

I didn't get a work order --I got a claim check with a $ estimate and due date, but no outline of what they would be doing. I did see him fill out a work order. I won't be going back to this place--there are two other LBSs in walking distance. But thanks to you all for a) giving me tips on how to make my bike stop squealing and b) making me feel like I'm not overreacting.
Old 07-20-07, 02:10 PM
pete!
dork

Bikes: serotta csi, 70's vicini, confsed bianchi fixed gear, bianchi axis cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the last bike shop i worked at was nothing like you have ust stated, yes we were mean and the service was not up to par, but your lbs sounds like a nightmare! we had on day service, besides builds, or if we were ordering a part to be installed. if we came across something that was wrong with a bike that we were working on we would call the owner to let them know, and to ask if they wanted us to fix that as well.

it's not rocket science, there should be no excuse for such a delay besides laziness. i would advise you to not go there again, unless there is no other choice. tell your friends too.
Old 07-20-07, 02:12 PM
pete!
dork

Bikes: serotta csi, 70's vicini, confsed bianchi fixed gear, bianchi axis cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one more thing, get a 15mm wrench and don't pay $10 to have pedals installed, it takes 2 minutes
Old 07-20-07, 03:44 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
There is absolutely no excuse for the poor service you received. Great, they did not charge you for having your bike 9 days and creating a problem instead of fixing the bike. That's no favor.

It wouldn't have happened in the first place, but as a service manager or shop owner if I had a customer complain to me about such service he would receive a free tune-up, at his convenience, by my head mechanic, while he waits, to regain his trust and compensate for the previous treatment. I in no way guarantee you can get that, but I would encourage you to complain to the shop manager/owner and ask what he is willing to do to make it right. Would not hurt to tell him you have shared your experience on a popular bike forum and have not yet named his shop. If you don't want to trust them again that's fine too, but still let management know they have lost your business.
Old 07-20-07, 03:44 PM
Bikewer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would echo the above suggestions; first, don't patronize that shop any more. Second, learn to do basic maintenance on your bike yourself.
There are all sorts of excellent resources, including this site and the fine Park Tool site. You need very little in the way of tools and equipment for the basic stuff.
Sounds like you could use a tire pump as well; bike tires don't hold air like car tires do, they need to be checked constantly.
Old 07-20-07, 03:53 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pete!
one more thing, get a 15mm wrench and don't pay $10 to have pedals installed, it takes 2 minutes
90 seconds if the wrench doesn't slip.
Old 07-20-07, 03:53 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
...Don't get a tune-up... ever. I used to work in a bike shop, and all that means is they look at and adjust the brakes and shifters, ait the tires, and wipe the bike clean, then charge something like $50 for it whether it needed any adjustments or not. Just bring it in when something isn't working and tell them what's wrong, then they'll look at it and tell you exactly what work needs to be done.
If you need to take your bike in then by definition you only know what's wrong when it's obvious. If you wait too long some repairs become much more expensive, and your bike won't ride as well if not properly adjusted. I did not work at one bike shop where we did as little as what is described above in a tuneup. Do ask exactly what is included in a tune-up and if you are not doing your own maintenance do get one on a regular basis (yearly at least).

In the most basic tuneup all external lubrication should be done, drive train and braking system, and bearing adjustments should be checked and corrected as needed, all critical parts checked for tightness and minor wheel truing should be done. Basic cleaning and proper airing of tires complete the job.

Yes the charge is usually a flat rate whether all adjustments are needed or not. Add up the individual charges for all those procedures and they will be much higher than a tune-up. For the record, I always reserved the right to charge extra for markedly dirt and damage and also sometimes discounted a bike in very good shape.