Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bikes Direct question

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bikes Direct question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 10:32 AM
Moshiiii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes Direct question

will Bikes Direct have any new budget price single speed around Christmas / new years ?

The Merciers are pretty much gone and the Windsors are dwindling. I could buy a Windsor now but Id rather wait a bit, I wouldn't get a lot of use out of it right now.

Anyways once these budget bikes are gone, are they GONE?
Old 07-24-07, 10:42 AM
m4bandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing.
Old 07-24-07, 10:44 AM
Moshiiii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4bandit
I was just wondering the same thing.
Yea I was hoping someone could clear this up, maybe even bikes direct themselves.
Old 07-24-07, 10:59 AM
piratelove

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Email them. Call them. Contact them directly. That's what they're for.

sales@bikesdirect.com
Old 07-24-07, 11:21 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by piratelove
Email them. Call them. Contact them directly. That's what they're for.

sales@bikesdirect.com

that's too obvious. There must be a harder way to get an answer
Old 07-24-07, 01:03 PM
liverunbike
Bonecrusher

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
i see you are ignoring the motobecane messenger. i have one, and it's the same as the windsor, but with better color options, and it includes brakes. who cares if it's a little more.
Old 07-24-07, 01:08 PM
asherlighn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just something to watch out for with Bikes Direct fixies: You will probably need to change the gearing.

They are all sold with 48/16 which gives you 1 skid spot. I pm'd mike about this and he said there is no plan to change this in the future, but that he might add some cheap gearing change options on bikesisland.com
Old 07-24-07, 01:16 PM
lvleph
Should be out Riding

Bikes: Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mike from BD comes to the forums, and so maybe he will answer your question. You could always pm him. His ID is something like bikesdirect_com. You can PM him here.

Last edited by lvleph; 07-25-07 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 02:40 PM
filtersweep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why? Just reset the wheel every once in awhile and you will have fresh rubber. Is it that difficult?

Originally Posted by asherlighn
Just something to watch out for with Bikes Direct fixies: You will probably need to change the gearing.

They are all sold with 48/16 which gives you 1 skid spot. I pm'd mike about this and he said there is no plan to change this in the future, but that he might add some cheap gearing change options on bikesisland.com
Old 07-24-07, 02:52 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have very little doubt that a fresh order of Merciers isn't being made as we speak, if not already out to sea on their way over here. They obviously are selling faster than they can make them, so I'll bet production has been ramped up considerably.
Old 07-24-07, 05:26 PM
euphoria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonechilling
I have very little doubt that a fresh order of Merciers isn't being made as we speak, if not already out to sea on their way over here. They obviously are selling faster than they can make them, so I'll bet production has been ramped up considerably.
this is the money spot. picture what tony did with the group buy, and multiply it by 100, and you have a rough idea of their operation.
Old 07-25-07, 07:39 AM
bikesdirect_com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On The Way

Originally Posted by Moshiiii
will Bikes Direct have any new budget price single speed around Christmas / new years ?

The Merciers are pretty much gone and the Windsors are dwindling. I could buy a Windsor now but Id rather wait a bit, I wouldn't get a lot of use out of it right now.

Anyways once these budget bikes are gone, are they GONE?
We are about sold out of Mercier Kilo TT [we have a couple 60c green]

We just got in the Motobecane Messenger [track with both fixed & FW] comes with brakes
listed on ebay and soon on BD site

The Windsor Hour just came in and is selling like mad; on site and on ebay.

We have been running out of these bikes quickly for the last 3 years. This fall we are getting in lots and lots of all three. PLUS the Motobecane Ouctcast 29 sold out real quick. And that is a unigue bike with FW & Fixed cog on a ATB 29 platform setup for street with rack braze-ons etc. The Outcat 29 we have LOTS coming in about 6 weeks.

Track, Single Speed, and Cyclo Cross are all going crazy and this fall we are really stocking up on those. Including the new 2008 Fantom CX which will be the best priced Cyclo Cross bike available anywhere.

This fall will be very good for cyclists I think; as many new 2008 bikes will be great deals. Lower prices and better specs on many bikes will benefit lots of riders no matter what brand they buy. {exception is Campy bikes will be higher unless the Euro drops].

have fun
mike
Old 07-25-07, 08:05 AM
lvleph
Should be out Riding

Bikes: Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikesdirect_com

We just got in the Motobecane Messenger [track with both fixed & FW] comes with brakes

We have been running out of these bikes quickly for the last 3 years. This fall we are getting in lots and lots of all three. PLUS the Motobecane Ouctcast 29 sold out real quick. And that is a unigue bike with FW & Fixed cog on a ATB 29 platform setup for street with rack braze-ons etc. The Outcat 29 we have LOTS coming in about 6 weeks.

Track, Single Speed, and Cyclo Cross are all going crazy and this fall we are really stocking up on those. Including the new 2008 Fantom CX which will be the best priced Cyclo Cross bike available anywhere.

This fall will be very good for cyclists I think; as many new 2008 bikes will be great deals. Lower prices and better specs on many bikes will benefit lots of riders no matter what brand they buy. {exception is Campy bikes will be higher unless the Euro drops].

have fun
mike
See, told you he was around. lol
Old 07-25-07, 09:28 AM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure some retro grouches hate it, but it's a really positive sign for cycling in general that these guys can't keep their bikes in stock.
Old 07-25-07, 09:32 AM
delicious

Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts

have fun
mike
Thanks for keeping us updated here Mike. I plan on buying a Mercier this Fall actually.
Old 07-25-07, 09:48 AM
exfreewheeler
Stinky McStinkface

Bikes: Clemente Custom(not built-up), TI Raleigh Record SS, VitaSprint Mixte SS, IRO S.E.(coming) Ibex Trophy Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delicious
Thanks for keeping us updated here Mike. I plan on buying a Mercier this Fall actually.
shhh... yeah, me too!
Old 07-25-07, 10:48 AM
asherlighn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
Why? Just reset the wheel every once in awhile and you will have fresh rubber. Is it that difficult?
No, not difficult. But I like my fixie to the bike that needs the least attention. Though the easiest fix was to make it a 46/16. Better gearing for me and more skid spots.
Old 07-25-07, 10:59 AM
Moshiiii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

have fun
mike
Thanks man! I'll have my finger on the button later this fall. I'd like one now but I have a $1,000 tattoo bill comming up :X