Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you stop your computer when you slow down/stop?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 11:21 AM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just got a cateye enduro 8, and really like having it there. I have noticed, though, that my average speed is a lot lower than the speed I usually ride, because the computer is running while I'm in traffic or in a highly congested area.

So today I tried stopping it when I came to a stoplight or through heavy traffic. But then the trip time isn't so accurate.....

Do you just leave it running the whole time you're on the bike, or do you ever stop it for anything?
Old 07-22-03, 11:24 AM
mightypudge
Victim of Circumstance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Cat Eye Astrale 8. The best feature is that it shuts off automatically when I stop so my readings are more accurate.
Old 07-22-03, 11:26 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you stop,total time stops and everything else.Riding slow will of course effect avg.It figures avg as long as the wheel turns.
Old 07-22-03, 11:34 AM
sebring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is set up for auto stop/start so it runs only as long as it detects the wheel spinning. WHy wouldn't your average speed be lower if you are in heavy traffic or spending time speeding up and slowing down? The computer calculates your average speed based on distance and time. If you have to stop and go a lot, then your average will be lower, but no matter if walking, biking, sriving, etc. if you have to spend time accelerating and braking your average will be lower than what your cruise speed is, nature of the game.
Old 07-22-03, 11:41 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Mine is set to stop when I stop. I thought that was pretty standard, although I do know that I could reset it so that it kept on all the time.

Average speed is just that - average speed. It will be less if you stop and go slow and faster if you don't. I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-22-03, 11:47 AM
~LongRider~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont stop it. It has auto stop, but I let it run all the time. Im not that hung up on my averages, mostly with just getting a good burn on.
Old 07-22-03, 11:58 AM
pgreene
Sneaky Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've got the auto stop disengaged. sometimes i like to not start my clock until i'm done warming up. that, and i figured it'd save battery if i let it rest instead of automatically cutting on every time i move the bike.
Old 07-22-03, 12:14 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can set the Enduro 8 to an auto on/off mode that will solve your problem. With the computer screen showing elapsed time, trip distance 1 or 2, or average speed, turn the computer over, and press the little SET button. This will turn the auto on/off feature on. A little icon with an "A" in it will appear on the computer screen showing that auto on/off is on. Now when the wheel stops turning, average speed and trip time will stop being recorded.

The instructions that came with your computer include this information.
Old 07-22-03, 12:15 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never mind.
Old 07-22-03, 12:21 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not set the computer to auto start/stop and reset it after doing your warm up?
Old 07-22-03, 12:38 PM
TriDevil
Spinmeister

Bikes: Scattante Carbon, Full Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a auto start/stop on the cateye wireless 2? I normally stop it if Im going to be sitting at a light for a while. Or if I keep hitting lights, but have the time after I stop it I forget to turn it back on again.
Old 07-22-03, 12:48 PM
bezzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by TriDevil
Does anyone know if there is a auto start/stop on the cateye wireless 2?
there is a link to the manuals on the cateye website:

https://www.cateye.com/detail.php?products_id=57
Old 07-22-03, 12:49 PM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I am sure there are manuals see the Cateye site and you can download them on PDF

www.cateye.com

I have a CC CL100 cordless with no autostop so the clock runs all the time until I manually switch off. It does depress the ave speed.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 07-22-03, 12:51 PM
roadrage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the Cateye Cordless 2 does have the auto start/stop feature too.
Old 07-22-03, 01:33 PM
pgreene
Sneaky Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RegularGuy, that's just too complicated!! the way i do it is great, because when i have a pee break or forget to restart after a stop, my 50 mile ride registers at about 35. oh wait... that's not a good thing, is it...
Old 07-22-03, 02:25 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I meant...if I wasn't clear...is to turn the auto feature on. Do your warm up and then zero the computer for that trip. I think that's just a matter of holding down the two front buttons for a few seconds.
Old 07-22-03, 03:15 PM
pgreene
Sneaky Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, i knew what you meant. i was suggesting that your post made huge amounts of sense, but since i wasn't clever enough to come up with the idea myself, i would therefore dismiss it out of hand and rationalized my silly behavior.
Old 07-22-03, 03:20 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why zero it out after your warm up.I dont get it.My warmup is part of my total ride.