Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting Fenders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 07:51 AM
Brian T
still commuting......

Bikes: Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting Fenders

Does anyone know of a good set of full fenders for a 27" x 1 1/4" wheels?
Old 08-30-07, 08:47 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html
Old 08-30-07, 09:48 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Anything over 35mm in width...Planet Bike Freddy's, SKS, ESGE, Honjo, etc.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-30-07, 04:00 PM
Mooo

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Just installed a set of Plane Bike Cascadias, partially due to the aforementioned coroplast fender guy:
https://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2007/0...a-fenders.html

They installed easily, and look like they'll be reasonably rugged. I think I like them, but it hasn't rained here in a while, so I don't know how well they actually work.

Ordered through LBS. Took two days. Beat retail.

I dig the LBS.
Old 08-30-07, 08:42 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooo
Just installed a set of Plane Bike Cascadias, partially due to the aforementioned coroplast fender guy:
https://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2007/0...a-fenders.html

They installed easily, and look like they'll be reasonably rugged. I think I like them, but it hasn't rained here in a while, so I don't know how well they actually work.

Ordered through LBS. Took two days. Beat retail.

I dig the LBS.
Do the Cascadia fenders use the same rear mounting system as the Hardcores? That would be the separate plastic mounting clip? I tried the Hardcore Road fenders and the thickness of the clip made my tire rub.
Old 08-30-07, 10:17 PM
Mooo

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
Do the Cascadia fenders use the same rear mounting system as the Hardcores? That would be the separate plastic mounting clip? I tried the Hardcore Road fenders and the thickness of the clip made my tire rub.
No idea. They do use a plastic clip. It wouldn't be hard to figure out a way around it. The bike I'm using it on has lots of room, however, and it isn't a problem.
Old 08-30-07, 10:31 PM
Brian T
still commuting......

Bikes: Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info, The LBS here asked if i was moving to Seattle when i talked about getting a set of fenders. I told them no and that i was wanting to continue my commute through the winter. They didnt seem very helpful.
There was alot of roadies in there at the time. I'll look into the Plane Bike Cascadias, its for a Schwinn world sport. Not a show stopper but for $20 i could pass up the deal. I bought it from the original owner and all paperwork included.
Old 08-31-07, 01:45 AM
APTokyo

Sks

Originally Posted by Brian T
Does anyone know of a good set of full fenders for a 27" x 1 1/4" wheels?
I just put these on my bike this week. I like 'em.

Old 08-31-07, 06:46 AM
Road_Biker
Goggles & Doo-rag ready!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The planet bike fenders I recently installed went on in about 20 minutes with no struggles. All the hardware was included, along with an extra pair of zip ties. The fenders have a limited lifetime warranty to the original owner.

The first pair of fenders I ever installed were zephal. They took about a day and I ended up using zip ties in multiple creative locations. Also, they were harder to adjust.

I haven't tried the SKS fenders, but I doubt they could be any easier to install than the planet bike full fenders. Being German, I expect the SKS fenders to be pretty straight forward to install and good quality. I am very happy with the planet bike full fenders.
Old 08-31-07, 10:52 AM
SEAcarlessTTLE
cycle-commuter

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Univega Via de Oro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Planet Bike's fenders. I have them on both my bikes and my wife's. My front one even survived a minor crash, in which it got a bit twisted up. Just twisted it back into shape and was good to go. ...another big factor for me is that they donate 25% of profits to bike advocacy.
Old 08-31-07, 10:56 AM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by APTokyo
I just put these on my bike this week. I like 'em.
Ditto.....but I put them on about a month or two ago.
Old 08-31-07, 10:59 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
SKS's are the best I've tried. They are extremely durable and the mounting hardware is much better than the planet bike (freddy) fenders I've tried.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-31-07, 07:40 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
SKS's are the best I've tried. They are extremely durable and the mounting hardware is much better than the planet bike (freddy) fenders I've tried.
The positive aspects of the SKS fenders? The mounting system. The L-bracked riveted to the rear fender is superior to the separate plastic clip of the Planet Bike. And of course the SKS has the safety releases on the front fender. The negative aspect? Appearance. The SKS fenders I've had never ended up totally straight. It took time with a hair dryer and some bending to keep the front fender from twisting. the Planet Bike fenders look better. If they would just stick with a traditional mounting arrangement they'd be perfect. I don't like the rear clip, and I don't like the fact that the chainstay bridge clip doesn't have a screw hole. But they do look nice.
Old 08-31-07, 07:58 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Gilles Berthoud fenders are made of stainless steel. My front freddy fender rattled at speed. These are solid as a rock and look good too.
Old 08-31-07, 08:22 PM
Allen

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
^^^
Big fan of Berthoud SS fenders. I've over 10k miles on a pair and they are holding up very well. They also can handle mud-flaps and are rigid enough to easily handle having lights directly mounted to them.
Old 08-31-07, 09:14 PM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Planetbike's Cascadia, they're fantastic, extra long mudflaps too! I have 27 x 1 1/4 also
Old 08-31-07, 10:39 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
The positive aspects of the SKS fenders? The mounting system. The L-bracked riveted to the rear fender is superior to the separate plastic clip of the Planet Bike. And of course the SKS has the safety releases on the front fender. The negative aspect? Appearance. The SKS fenders I've had never ended up totally straight. It took time with a hair dryer and some bending to keep the front fender from twisting. the Planet Bike fenders look better. If they would just stick with a traditional mounting arrangement they'd be perfect. I don't like the rear clip, and I don't like the fact that the chainstay bridge clip doesn't have a screw hole. But they do look nice.
I solve the problem by taking a hacksaw to the front fender to cut off the end which sticks out in front of the brake.

FWIW, the reason why it twists is because you are trying to bend the rear part of the fender into a tighter radius than it was made for. If you look at the fenders in the package, they are quite straight. The fenders are all originally designed for 27" wheels, so on 700C rims, they float above the tire quite a ways. Plus, most bikes now have tight clearance fork crowns, so it is impossible to mount them so they are at their natural radius and an even distance above the tire. Like I said, I just cut off the unsupported part; the mounting hardware supports the rest and keeps it from twisting.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter