Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why no lights?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why no lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 07:33 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Why no lights?

I often run in the early mornings on a local rail-trail, and of course these days at 6:30AM it is pretty well pitch dark out there, so I wear one of those LED headband lamps that works really well to light my way. I've been surprised every time by having a bicycle or two pass me on my run that have no lights at all. Sometimes I only see them coming by my headlamp picking up the reflectors on their pedals or whatever.

I suppose that there might be enough pre-dawn light or moonlight that you can ride and stay on the trail, but you certainly can't see anything that might be on the trail itself at that hour. I got my headlamp after taking a nasty fall last year tripping on a branch.

So who are these people riding the trails in the dark early in the morning? Seems like they must be serious cyclists, especially since it was just in the high 30s this morning. But on the other hand a serious cyclist would probably put some lights on his bike.

Anyone here ride like this?
Old 10-25-07, 07:48 AM
edzo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
now that I have a job and can stay ahead of my bills, nope.
Old 10-25-07, 08:07 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Probably doesn't apply in your neighborhood, but here in SoCal the early morning riders with no lights are usually illegals on their way to less than min. wage jobs.

Hopefully that's not an issue in Rochester Hills, MI.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-25-07, 08:09 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Idiots on bikes. Or, illegals.
Old 10-25-07, 08:22 AM
The Smokester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't know about illegal, but if you look out behind a restaurant as it opens early in the morning you will see bicycles arriving. These are the guys that do the dishes and clean the floors. I run into them all the time on the bicycle paths and I suspect they can't afford lights...Or don't want to be seen.
Old 10-25-07, 08:26 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find that I can no onger ride lightless in many places where I used to be
able to. Could it be getting darker these days?
Old 10-25-07, 08:47 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
So who are these people riding the trails in the dark early in the morning? Seems like they must be serious cyclists, especially since it was just in the high 30s this morning. But on the other hand a serious cyclist would probably put some lights on his bike.

Anyone here ride like this?
Only when I accidently forget my light.

Maybe those riders are using Ambien and riding in their sleep.
Old 10-25-07, 09:47 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I remember having excellent night vision when I was younger. Heck, I even used 15W bulbs in the living room lamps and read novels in that lighting. These days, 100W bulbs seem too dim and I wouldn't dream of riding without two headlights.

So maybe they're just young and can actually still see by the ambient lighting. Doesn't do squat, of course, for being seen, but again, the young don't usually think of that.
Old 10-25-07, 10:34 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regardless of the road lighting you need at least blinkies after dark. I think it is pretty foolish to ride without something that will get you noticed.

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-25-07, 10:54 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I find that I can no onger ride lightless in many places where I used to be
able to. Could it be getting darker these days?
"Global Darkening?" Oh No.
Old 10-25-07, 11:46 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I often ride a MUP after dark and it is surprising how many Bikers do not use lights. Just as bad are the other users but I just cannot ride without seeing the Trail ahead of me. Too many lumps and branches that will cause an accident.

I even go to the extent of using two lamps on rides- On the back and front- I can never tell when the 3 hour ride will turn into a 4 hour one with a battery that only has a 2 hour life when I forget to charge it fully.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-25-07, 12:04 PM
Rolling15
Ontheroad

Bikes: Felt Z2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The six mile drive that runs around Central Park in New York City is closed to cars after 7:00 PM on weekdays. On a warm fall or spring evening you can sometimes find hundreds of runners roller bladers , skate boarders and of course bikers traversing the road. Quite a few people don’t have lights but at least a third do. I sometimes have to marvel at the sight of all the blinking lights up and down the path. It almost looks like an airport at night.
Old 10-25-07, 12:42 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We do a night time ride during winter months on one of the local river trails. All bikes I've seen on the trail have lights but I'm surprised at the number of runners/walkers who have no lights, reflective clothing, etc. Some of these people are really tough to see when they're walking in the wooded areas

I often see people riding the streets at night or early morning with little or no lights. Most are young kids or students on their way to school/college. I imagine many ride without them due to money being tight. The park and other transportation agencies in our area pass out blinkies at events. I always carry a few of these in my bike bag and pass them along when I can.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-25-07, 04:11 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My battery went out much too quickly last night while riding the river trails. My riding partner had a very small light, but at least it was working. I stayed behind him for about 5 miles. I will be carrying a spare in the future or I may consider walking if that happens again. I was worried about striking a walker or even a collision with another bike rider that did not have lights. Not worth the risk.
Old 10-26-07, 02:25 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
while on my way to work at 5:30 AM the other morning I saw a cyclist wearing a helmet, dark jacket, and no lights. NO LIGHTS!! Good thing he was wearing a helmet, because he'll need it when a driver who doesn't see him knocks him over. I wondered if he is one of those people who just likes to tempt fate.

I have two headlights and two taillights on my bike. Though I know I'm seen (based on how the cars wait for me from quite a distance away), the headlights don't illuminate the street enough in dark areas. I'm planning to get a strong dual-headlight system and a helmet light, and probably an Illuminite jacket/jersey/vest. In addition, I also have reflective tires. I do this not only for my safety but for the other drivers' sake. I don't want to ruin their lives just because I wasn't illuminated enough to be seen.
Old 12-16-07, 11:37 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No excuse not to have blinkies since the 99cent stores started carrying them...
Old 12-16-07, 11:58 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
All we can do is buy headlights bright enough to see them in time.
In the summer here there are kids in the evening who forgot to go home before it got dark. So they go
as fast as possible because they are late. Always black clothes and often no reflectors.
And plenty of just plain stupid people too. There is always glass or something to go around here at night.
Including peds and small animals.
Old 12-16-07, 04:27 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are lights on bikes now going the way of mirrors?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-16-07, 04:33 PM
ad6mj

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why no lights?

Natural selection.
Old 12-16-07, 04:35 PM
PaulH

Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Suppose cars came without lights, traffic laws either did not require lights and were vague about the requirements, and enforcement of these laws was lax. How many cars would have lights? Probably just those owned by enthisiasts who managed to import European HID systems.

Paul
Old 12-16-07, 07:00 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
People ride bikes in many ways for many reasons. Around here I see many fewer lights when the weather is bad than when the weather is better for sport and recreational riding.