Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hello 50+ I've Escaped From Mountain Biking Forum

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 08:47 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know what it is, really, but I'm thinking it must be a lot of youthful attitude or energy that drives the flaming and disrespect over there (and most primarily testosterone).

At any rate, I've lurked here a bit and it seems a whole lot more of a welcoming place. Maybe it's because people our age no longer feel the need to prove anything, that we're confident in who we are. Something like that. It seems that the older I get, the more humble I become and the more respect I want to dish out.

I'm rambling, but it's good to visit here. Thanks.
Old 11-18-07, 09:22 PM
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome. I've been hangin out here for a few years now. I don't think you will find a nicer, more articulate bunch of people. Glad to have you with us...
Old 11-18-07, 09:29 PM
CrossChain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In other words, you're saying, our testicles have dried up over the years and flattened out from too many miles accumulated and we have no choice but to be nice. Well, you're right. But be careful, it might be catching.

Welcome, KenHill3......some of us actually are as nice as we seem. Why not stick around and jump into our conversations? As a stranger who appreciates us...you've scored awesome points already.
Old 11-18-07, 10:09 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain
In other words, you're saying, our testicles have dried up over the years and flattened out from too many miles accumulated and we have no choice but to be nice. Well, you're right. But be careful, it might be catching.

Welcome, KenHill3......some of us actually are as nice as we seem. Why not stick around and jump into our conversations? As a stranger who appreciates us...you've scored awesome points already.
Thanks, youse guys. I occasionally like to escape the naked brutality and go for the refinement and wisdom of age.

I ride road. I also ride MTB (MY God rides a mountain bike), but I don't huck big time or jump the big gaps. Is that OK?
Old 11-18-07, 10:32 PM
pdq 5oh

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome. I'm relatively new here, too. The mtb forum can be brutal (hilarious). Lots of people (kids) needing to prove something.........................who can type the toughest.
Old 11-19-07, 12:48 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
They're, for the most part, a real good batch of people over there. There are a few who like to turn the crank a bit; but it's never dull for sure.

Anyway, welcome over here too Kenhill - - but don't be a stranger over in the MTB forum
Old 11-19-07, 03:14 AM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dminor
They're, for the most part, a real good batch of people over there. There are a few who like to turn the crank a bit; but it's never dull for sure.

Anyway, welcome over here too Kenhill - - but don't be a stranger over in the MTB forum
Hi, Doug-

You are the quintessence of moderation- 'turn the crank a bit'- I love it. Oh, no. I won't be a stranger there either. Now, you and I both know there's a certain ambiance, a sensibility around those of us in our fifties. Especially the realization at some point that we're eligible for the senior discount (at least for me 'cause I turned fifty-five).
Old 11-19-07, 06:21 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by kenhill3
I don't know what it is, really, but I'm thinking it must be a lot of youthful attitude or energy that drives the flaming and disrespect over there (and most primarily testosterone).

At any rate, I've lurked here a bit and it seems a whole lot more of a welcoming place. Maybe it's because people our age no longer feel the need to prove anything, that we're confident in who we are. Something like that. It seems that the older I get, the more humble I become and the more respect I want to dish out.

Welcome.

Actually most of us have forgotten what it is we were going to prove.
Old 11-19-07, 06:23 AM
BSLeVan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
Welcome. I've been hangin out here for a few years now. I don't think you will find a nicer, more articulate bunch of people. Glad to have you with us...
+1 Old Hammer Boy speaks my mind.
Old 11-19-07, 06:34 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy and contribute.
Old 11-19-07, 06:57 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Liked 735 Times in 455 Posts
Welcome. It is a good group here, think you'll like it. Lots of good support and it's one place where even "Freds" can feel comfortable (still have my mtn.bike platforms on my road bike!)
Old 11-19-07, 07:21 AM
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The MTB crew is an interesting one. I lurk there, never post there. Been riding MTB's since 1982 and I'm getting too stiff in spots to care if I don't carve the right line on singletrack.

Shoot, found out yesterday that I don't BOUNCE like I used too either.

Chris
Old 11-19-07, 09:01 AM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. The mt. fourm is a waste of time. If you are looking for solid ideas you get trashed no matter what. Welcome.
Old 11-19-07, 09:46 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the asylum. Even when we argue, our short term memory is so toast that we quickly forget it and make nice.
Old 11-19-07, 09:49 AM
bkaapcke

Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Welcome to the one real forum at BF's. Here we like to discuss colonoscopies, knee replacements, disposal of excess gas and phlegm. If you have prostate problems, you came to the right place. bk

Hey, it's all downhill from here.

Last edited by bkaapcke; 11-19-07 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 09:51 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
+1 but I haven't been hanging out around here that long....

You'll even find a few of us have recently tried mountain biking for the first time

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-19-07, 10:06 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome aboard ------ I'm new to the laid-back 50 thing as well. Lp
Old 11-19-07, 10:09 AM
Neil_B

Welcome. I'm not 50 yet, but reading the posts here makes me want to be. :-)

Old 11-19-07, 10:12 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Welcome. I'm not 50 yet, but reading the posts here makes me want to be. :-)
Have patience...good things come to those who wait

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-19-07, 10:15 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wait until you get to the 65+ Forum. Oops! I forgot. We don't have a 65+ Forum.
Old 11-19-07, 10:17 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Wait until you get to the 65+ Forum. Oops! I forgot. We don't have a 65+ Forum.
We don't need one of those....we'll just hang around here and annoy the youngin's

-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-19-07, 10:18 AM
Louis

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome. There's usually quite a bit of activity around here unless we have a shuffleboard tournament going on down at the old folks home.
Old 11-19-07, 10:38 AM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing is for certain, the wit and wisdom (and respect) here is superlative!
Old 11-19-07, 10:55 AM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
.......and the use of the English language here is (generally) creative, intelligent, and eloquent.

OK, have I sucked up enough?

Seriously, thank you all for the warm and humorous welcome!
Old 11-19-07, 11:01 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
.......and the use of the English language here is (generally) creative, intelligent, and eloquent.
lol! Werd, dude . . . u got taht str8!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.