Search
Notices

Jacket vs Vest for TX Riding 38-60 Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 09:58 PM
the shark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jacket vs Vest for TX Riding 38-60 Degrees

I have decided to ride more this winter and need to get some winter wear.

Do most people in TX, I am in Austin, use a vest or Jacket for winter rides. I notices Nashbar had a good deal on OI Zeph vest and some other jaclets.

I need to get one this week in case cold comes back like we had at Thanksgiving.

If you prefer a jacket- which do you use or reccomend.

I do have the arm and leg warmers and need to get some shoe covers also.
Old 11-29-07, 07:03 AM
mocella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Performance Transformer (wind-breaker with removable sleeves) that I run with a short-sleeve jersey, tank-top base layer and arm-warmers when it gets in the low 50s. As it warms, I have the option to either pull the sleeves or the arm-warmers or both (and full-finger gloves). Oh, and has Cuda has mentioned, I give a +1 on the Defeet Blaze socks - they make all the difference in the world - haven't even had to run the toe covers with those yet.

If it's in the upper 50s when I start the ride, the jacket stays at home/in the truck.

Below those temps, I haven't riden much yet, so can't comment, though I have a few different base-layer type things I'm looking to try out - a compression Nike shirt I picked up at Dick's on Black Friday for fairly cheap and some wicking ski base-layer shirts/long-johns I thought I'd give a go to.
Old 11-29-07, 09:06 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the most important things to do when riding in the winter is to dress in layers. If you know the temps are going to warm up rapidly, it would suck to be stuck with a full jacket on. I have a full, insulated jacket but I will only wear it if the temps throughout my entire ride are predicted to be 35-40 degrees. I prefer base layer, jersey, arm warmers, vest, leg or knee warmers, with full finger gloves. You must remember that this is Texas and even if it's cold in the morning, the afternoon can bring temps totally different.
Old 11-29-07, 02:00 PM
the shark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - I need some warmer socks or shoe covers as feet did not warm up last time.

Agree on the layers and I have the base stuff covered, but jacket I have is like a sail.

Will drop into performace and see what they have.