Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Poseur or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Poseur or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-03, 05:45 AM
Buzzbomb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poseur or not?

I finally got a road bike. A buddy bought this bike last spring on ebay, but it was a little too big for him. While he was deciding what he wanted to do with it, he ebayed another bike that fit him much better. He finally talked me into trying road biking, and lent me this extra bike. After the first mile I was in love with it. My years of MTB had not prepared me for the smooth, quick reeling away of the miles, or the beautiful finish work of road components and frames. This is my first road bike, and I anticipate riding this one for many years. Here's the question; it's a Colnago Dream. The thing came to me unexpectedly, I got a good deal on a beautiful bike, way more bike than my experience warrants. Would you consider me a poseur if I showed up for a shop ride? Honest opinions, please. (pics to follow if anyone wants to see it)
Old 09-04-03, 05:55 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally posted by Buzzbomb
Here's the question; it's a Colnago Dream. The thing came to me unexpectedly, I got a good deal on a beautiful bike, way more bike than my experience warrants. Would you consider me a poseur if I showed up for a shop ride?
Yes because I don't have one.

Seriously, if you're strong enough and fast enough to keep up with everyone else then it doesn't matter.
Be prepared to spend some cash on a team jersey, shorts, and shoes to compliment the bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-04-03, 06:05 AM
Arsbars
Director @ Bike Law

Bikes: Christiania, Bullitt, All City Nature Boy, Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, I would call you a poser if you showed up to the shop ride talking crap and having matching everythign (including socks, helmet and gloves). It's not what you ride, I have people show up to our shop ride with early 90's Raleighs and CRUSH.

Bike Law
We are your network of bicycling lawyers and advocates across North America.

Women's Cycling
Empowering women to bike more and worry less.
Old 09-04-03, 06:06 AM
dwatson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have found that you will be judged by your equipment. Like RonH said if you can hang with the group you will be fine.
Old 09-04-03, 06:19 AM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
poseur? Nope, just be prepared to ride hard and safe. Your choice of equipment is just that; your choice.

Please post pics!!!!
Old 09-04-03, 07:08 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as you don't pose as something you're not (a pro rider, King of the Mountain, etc) you should be fine. If you're humble about your bike and not spouting off crap and the people you ride with are rude, you shouldn't be riding with them anyway
Old 09-04-03, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
You poser!!!!

Nah... but I would probably get a chuckle if you showed up with the full clothing gear and bike- then again, I just have some generic bike myself, so the laugh wouldn't last long from me.

I'd love to see some pics.

Koffee

Old 09-04-03, 07:55 AM
Buzzbomb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will post some pics. As far as being all geared up, I'm tapped out from buying the bike, so I have some really old Shimano MTB clipless shoes (nice flat soles with no aggresive tread) I'm using with some Eggbeaters I had lying around. I got some Trek plain no pocket bike tee shirts (like running shirts but cut long in back) for 10 bucks apiece a while ago, and a few pair of Pearl Izumi shorts I've had forever.
Old 09-04-03, 08:06 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Poseur?

Well, I thought a poseur was, by definition, a person pretending to be that which they are not. A poseur would be a recreational cyclist pretending to be a CAT 2. Or a CAT 2 pretending to be on a team on the Tour de France. Or a mechanically challenged person pretending to know how to fix a flat.

Just because you are riding a very nice bike, does not make you a poseur.

Of course, some people will figure you as one because your bike is "better" then your riding ability. I have wondered about this one. I mean it isn't like there is an objective standard that you have to meet at the bike shop to buy Shimano 105 and a higher standard to buy Ultegra. They will sell to anyone who has the cash.
Old 09-04-03, 08:13 AM
Buzzbomb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you, Pat. I recognize quality, and in this case, was able to get a top of the line item, which is not always true for me. I'm just trying to get a feel for the reception I should anticipate at the first ride I show up for.
Old 09-04-03, 08:17 AM
Methos
Mmbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as you are humble and not cocky you should be fine. Nobody likes a cocky jerk. In fact, I put forth most of my effort just to beat someone that has that attitude.
Old 09-04-03, 08:26 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by dwatson
I have found that you will be judged by your equipment. Like RonH said if you can hang with the group you will be fine.
Judged by your equipment is crap.There's riders on mtb that could drop those guys in a group with that nicer equipment.I'd rather ride by myself anyday.
Old 09-04-03, 08:29 AM
jkoman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Popeye says..." I yam what I yam" and buzz...you are what you are. Riding with the group on a regular basis will establish the kind of person and rider you are as far as the other riders are concerned...I hope you know yourself.
Old 09-04-03, 08:32 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Would you consider me a poseur if I showed up for a shop ride? Honest opinions, please. (pics to follow if anyone wants to see it)
I wouldn't consider you a poser, but some will. Don't worry so much about what others think of you. Do your own thing, and have fun doing it!

BTW, post some pix - I'd love to see your machine!
Old 09-04-03, 09:38 AM
bumpdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got a road bike. A buddy bought this bike last spring on ebay, but it was a little too big for him. While he was deciding what he wanted to do with it, he ebayed another bike that fit him much better. He finally talked me into trying road biking, and lent me this extra bike. After the first mile I was in love with it. My years of MTB had not prepared me for the smooth, quick reeling away of the miles, or the beautiful finish work of road components and frames. This is my first road bike, and I anticipate riding this one for many years. Here's the question; it's a Colnago Dream. The thing came to me unexpectedly, I got a good deal on a beautiful bike, way more bike than my experience warrants. Would you consider me a poseur if I showed up for a shop ride? Honest opinions, please. (pics to follow if anyone wants to see it)
Hey everyone steps in **** now and then. Enjoy the bike!! Screw everyone else. I mean, it's easy to see that because you're worried about it, you'll conduct yourself like the lucky guy who caught a break. If you tell the story the way you told it to us, the guys that you ride with will probably be more envious than caddy.

Enjoy yourself!
Old 09-04-03, 09:43 AM
bumpdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by bac
[B]I wouldn't consider you a poser, but some will.
If you are riding with guys that have this attitude than find another group to ride with. You don't need it.
Old 09-04-03, 09:45 AM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would probably just drool on the bike. But I don't frequent club rides.
Old 09-04-03, 10:52 AM
pgreene
Sneaky Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there will always be people who consider you a poser. applies to not only your ride, but your clothes--a frequent riding partner HATES pro-team kit, and i just bought a pair of postie shorts. most of those people, however, will either be incredibly fast super-riders who consider most everyone else beneath them, or folks who are just jealous of the sweet ride you've got. i've considered this factor as i'm also looking for a new bike, but i wouldn't worry about it for more than a second. just don't gloat. as soon as you do, you'll crash hard and trash that pretty frame of yours!
Old 09-04-03, 10:56 AM
Hot Pepper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to worry. I am a person of mederate cycling abilities, who happens to have the financial ability to buy nice things, so I have a really nice bike with top of the line type stuff on it. I don't do the team clothing thing, and the only matching articles of clothing I have are, as the picture in my profile, patriotic stuff. When somebody accuses me of being a poser, make like I'm offended and inform them I am not a poseur, I am the King of all poseurs.
Old 09-04-03, 11:22 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by jkoman
As Popeye says..." I yam what I yam" and buzz...you are what you are. Riding with the group on a regular basis will establish the kind of person and rider you are as far as the other riders are concerned...I hope you know yourself.
Screw them.I dont care what they think and whatever it is wont make me better or worst of a rider.There xxxx smells like mine.
Old 09-04-03, 12:09 PM
caadman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buzzbomb I'm with bac on this one, he put's it just the way I say it..Be yourself and have fun doing that...Yeah there will be people who will criticize you and there will be people who will support you, what's important is what is being said by the people here, be yourself!! and enjoy that great bike!! Colonago's have some of the greatest paint jobs on this earth!!..

By the way I see you're in the suburbs of Detroit also, that's where I am also, if you don't mind me asking, where are you?? You wouldn't per chance ride with the wolverien's would you??

Enjoy and ride that great bike!!

Benjamin
Old 09-04-03, 12:14 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt: If you have to ask if something will make you a poseur or not it most certainly will. That said go ride.
Old 09-04-03, 02:45 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Most definitely,
send me the colnago, I'll send you an old trek, has absolutely
no poseur value.

seriously, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks,
if you enjoy the bike, so be it.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-04-03, 02:56 PM
danr

Bikes: Trek 8000 (I'm testing a prototype).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be quite honest, I really don't hear the term "poseur" used in the local road cycling community (hmmm, maybe because they don't want to hurt my feelings.). I have heard it plenty of times in the mountain biking crowd though.

However, if you think that the bike is too good for you, then I wouldn't get it.
Old 09-04-03, 03:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Just ride baby. I also lucked into a better bike than my riding abilities. Now, I think I may have finally earned it. It's the strangest thing: the bike just goes faster and longer the more I ride it. It must be breaking in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.