Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cross-check with MTB wheels?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 12:30 PM
cluelessgoon

Bikes: CrossCheck, Brompton, SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone think I could run MTB (mountain bike) wheels on my Cross-check?

I know the hubs will fit inside the frame, but how would I get cantilever brakes to work?
Old 12-02-07, 01:22 PM
well biked

Liked 167 Times in 92 Posts
You're asking about running 26" mtb wheels? That's going to be a problem because of the brake reach, as you know. But if you really want mtb hubs and fat knobbies, there are plenty of ISO 622 mtb wheelsets out there for 29" mountain bikes, and a growing fat tire selection in 622 as well. I don't know how much tire clearance the Cross Check frame and fork has, but it might be able to handle a true 29er tire. There are plenty of 700c cyclocross tires as well-
Old 12-02-07, 03:00 PM
cluelessgoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea... I just assumed 29" would be too big. I currently run the Crosscheck as an actual cross bike, with 35mm Cyclo cross tyres. The problem is that the knobbles on cross tyres are tiny by comparison to MTB tyres. I believe that the largest tyre accommodated by the frame is about 45mm. I might be able to find 29" tyres which were 'skinny' but bigger than the cyclocross standard.

Cheers for the idea.

I suppose another idea would be to swap out the fork for a disk-fork, not sure about the rear though.
Old 12-02-07, 03:03 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the other problem you're going to encounter when you put 26" wheels on a bike designed for 700c wheels, is the BB height is going to change. what you need to do here is get a mountain bike.
Old 12-02-07, 06:56 PM
cluelessgoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL ... a mountain bike!

I've had quite a few of them over the years, even riding from Barcelona to London on one once. My interest in changing wheels was really just because mtb wheels are obtainable the world over and so very strong. The cross check is very versatile and I'm already thinking about ways to pimp it about.
Old 12-02-07, 06:57 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by cluelessgoon
Good idea... I just assumed 29" would be too big.
The "29" name refers to the approximate outside diameter of the tire the way 27" or 26"does, not to the rim diameter.

The rims are really 700c (ISO 622) and will take any 700c tire. The new "29" MTB tires are just fat 700c tires.
Old 12-02-07, 08:51 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As others have pointed out, simply run some big tire on 700c rims.

From a practical standpoint, 45-50mm tires are about the max you can squeeze in. I'm running IRC Mythos 42mm tire on my fixed CC

This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 12-02-07, 09:21 PM
dr.raleigh
I like bikes

Bikes: Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the deal with calling them a 29in. tire? Marketing?
Old 12-03-07, 08:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by dr.raleigh
Sure. If you just called them 700c wheels no one would feel they had to rush out and buy a new bike.
Old 12-03-07, 07:37 PM
cluelessgoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dobber, that is a great-looking bike. I saw the pics on this board and it finally made up my mind to get a set of midge bars...

Unfortunately I had to take them off to race here
Old 12-03-07, 07:37 PM
cluelessgoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-03-07, 09:33 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You can fit a 1.9" 29er tire in the Cross Check fork if you trim the edges of the knobs. The biggest I could find to fit in the rear is a 44mm WTB Mutanoraptor.
Old 12-04-07, 01:32 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
You can fit a 1.9" 29er tire in the Cross Check fork if you trim the edges of the knobs. The biggest I could find to fit in the rear is a 44mm WTB Mutanoraptor.
I've seen some photos of the 2" Big Apples mounted on a CC. The wild card here is what rims you use as they affect the actual effective width.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 12-04-07, 01:43 PM
nowheels

The Maxxis Larsen tire might work for you...... it's a but larger and has a lot of bite to it.

https://www.maxxis.com/shop_maxxis/pr...il.asp?id=2369

Old 12-04-07, 02:16 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dr.raleigh
Not entirely. Wide tires need wider rims to support them, and conversely narrow tires won't work properly on excessively wide rims. You could explain it by marketing if there were no differences between rims appropriate for 29in mountain bikes designed to fit 2"-wide knobby tires w/ disc brakes, and rims appropriate for sub-30mm tires and rim brakes. But in practice many rims designed for one application won't work at all in the other. So the industry probably felt it was just easier for a salesperson to say "the 29'er rims are over on that wall, and the 700c stuff is over there", rather than have a customer bring some 15mm-wide 4-spoke carbon wonder wheel up to the cash register, and then have to spend 30 minutes explaining why you can't use that on your MTB, even though they're the same "size".

Of course those of us who are interested in bikes that sit in between the two worlds (e.g. touring, commuting, cyclocross) do care about the differences and places where overlap is possible, but we're a pretty small group compared to the mass market (at least the U.S. market, anyway)