Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who enjoys biking through the snow?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 01:25 PM
Quiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whooo! Just rode through the "storm" right now. (Cambridge-Boston). Perfect conditions: not very cold (23F); fluffy snow; and very pretty out. (I must say, the car's weren't very happy though...)

I'm all excited to go snowboarding now too!
Old 12-13-07, 01:35 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the snow!

Old 12-13-07, 02:38 PM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got studded tires (Kenda Klondikes) on my hybrid today, just in time for this storm -- snowing, not very cold (upper 20s), roads now hard packed or ice - and it was great riding in it.

Another snow-lover here!

Last edited by chipg5; 12-13-07 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 04:45 PM
nelzar13

Bikes: 1958 raleigh fixed , specialized P2, standard S250, giant cross country bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love rideing in the snow! its so quite all you hear is maybe.. the slight sqeak of you tires on the snow. but the olny bad thing is you cant hear the cars! i need to go play out in the snow nd pick up some chinease food! 5 or 6 inches should be fun to go play in and laugh at all the people stuck in their cars!
Old 12-14-07, 07:30 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Here's my arrival at work yesterday afternoon. They'd already shoveled out front.

Along the way I stopped on a hill that has a stoplight at the top and watched the cars try to get going again when the light turned green. Then I just cranked on by. Later, a car absolutely, positively had to beat me to the red light 100 feet ahead. Passed, locked up all four and slid through the crosswalk. I stopped safely and gently behind. The light turned green and between bald tires and the snowpile he'd pushed in front of his tires, he couldn't move. I waved as I passed.

But back to the OP, no I had no fun at all. Uh, uh. Nope. No way. Not me.
Old 12-14-07, 08:00 AM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy I love the stuff! Makes you feel like a little kid all over again! Yay snow!

Old 12-14-07, 08:24 AM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More snowy crossbike pr0n plz kthx.
Old 12-14-07, 08:31 AM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
The light turned green and between bald tires and the snowpile he'd pushed in front of his tires, he couldn't move. I waved as I passed.
Excellent!
Old 12-14-07, 09:41 AM
kamoke

Bikes: Trek 1000c, Trek 520.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first year riding in the snow and I have to say that it's kinda nice. I'm in Eastern Canada (st.John's) and my coworkers get a few chuckles when I tell them I rode my bike in the storms, when other associates talk about the conditions being even too bad for cars.
I'm riding a trek 1000C, without any sort of snow tires, yet I haven't really had any troubles in the snow and slush.

I guess it takes a different kind of person to ride in the snow on bike, but there's just something nice about it.
Old 12-14-07, 09:58 AM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Love to ride in the snow, the worse the conditions the better!

Old 12-14-07, 10:12 AM
Old Dirt Hill
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the snow, although I'm not sure I'm going to make it through the season without changing out my gearing on my fixed gear snow beast. Between all the snow still on the ground and my studded tires, my gearing is much tougher on my knees and legs than with clear roads and the summer slicks.

I keep telling myself I'll be so much stronger come spring if I can make it work, but I'm not sure it's worth my knees exploding.
Old 12-14-07, 10:12 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I had to commute for years in the snow it was a bit less fun. Fun was seeing the reaction of drivers and walkers.
Old 12-14-07, 10:30 AM
sping
dabbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiwi
Whooo! Just rode through the "storm" right now. (Cambridge-Boston). Perfect conditions: not very cold (23F); fluffy snow; and very pretty out. (I must say, the car's weren't very happy though...)
... jealous . I only have near-slick 28mm tires, and a frame that I can't put anything bigger on for studs. I elected to take the T. I was wishing I had an ice bike beater with studs, watching all the stationary cars on the pristine white fluffy snow. Actually, studs wouldn't have been necessary yesterday, just MTB tires.
Old 12-14-07, 10:41 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those of us who got nothing but a STEADY beating of rain for the last week are not that excited about seeing your damn snow riding pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I know snow will come to me soon. It won't be soon enough though. Some really nice shots, guys!

... Brad
Old 12-14-07, 02:29 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Define "snow." The winter rider has thirty different words for snow. I like shallow sticky snow, but hate rime ice and cornmeal snow.
Old 12-14-07, 03:00 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh how I miss the snow. I might just have to take a trip up north for a ride.
I think this was my last real snowride after taking metro north home I rode 10 miles in a light snow.
Old 12-14-07, 03:19 PM
JeanCoutu
ǝıd ǝʌol ʎllɐǝɹ I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I love hearing the continuous cry of pain as I barbarically crush snowflakes with my bike.
Old 12-15-07, 09:44 AM
arcticbiker
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
Define "snow." The winter rider has thirty different words for snow. I like shallow sticky snow, but hate rime ice and cornmeal snow.
How right you are Cos! I took my first fall of the season on yesterday's commute in my parking lot on rutted "boilerplate" while trying to avoid a trash truck
Old 12-15-07, 01:33 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love it! The only snow I don't like is packed snow on top of ice. When my tire grips the snow but the snow slides on the ice I get....nervous. Other than that it's fun. Tomorrow I should actually get to ride in some good snow. TWC says 2-4 inches overnight and 5-8 before 7pm tomorrow. I can't wait.

I think I'm going to go out the the garage (detatched) and plug in my quartz heater and go clean and lube the hybrid and the MTB.
Old 12-17-07, 05:36 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arcticbiker
How right you are Cos! I took my first fall of the season on yesterday's commute in my parking lot on rutted "boilerplate" while trying to avoid a trash truck
I hate that stuff! The worst are the multi use paths after a sudden thaw/freeze where every single footprint and ski trail in the slush is frozen into rock-hard fossils with sharp edges. You can barely walk on them, let alone ride.
Old 12-17-07, 05:42 PM
Joe1946

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love it.
Old 12-17-07, 07:49 PM
Ouabacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe1946
I love it.
Please tell me that's a p-shop job

Oh... I now see in another thread, they ARE for real. Still,....

Last edited by Ouabacher; 12-17-07 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-17-07, 07:59 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
I love being the first person to lay tracks in fresh snow... it only bugs me when that snow turns to dirty brown slush.