Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Studs no guarantee, helmets helpful

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 05:36 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was hurrying home from work today because of a little crisis. I have studded tires for winter, the kind with studs at the edges to aid in turns, but no studs down the middle for less rolling resistance. I was coming to a stop at a side street with some bare pavement and some packed snow, and BOOM, down I went. I landed on my side and felt the side of my helmet lightly tap the pavement.

I don't know what I ran into, but I would guess it was a little polished icy spot that I hit while going straight so no studs were in contact with the pavement. So one must not get overconfident with studs. As for the helmet, no damage, it was a very light tap, but it reminded me why I wear it.
Old 12-14-07, 05:46 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some issue last night as well. I think the first day above 32 followed by a sudden and hard drop in temperature made for some nasty conditions. Personally, I got nabbed by the crust that had formed over the remaining snow on the streets from poor plowing. Didn't go over, but just barely.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-14-07, 05:55 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Liked 91 Times in 76 Posts

I made a set of studded tires once. I put a half inch by #6 machine screw through each knobby. 252 in each tire. Then I discovered I need "Mr. Tuffy" tire liners. Then the screws wore down to the nuts. Then some of the studs ripped out . And there was a problem with the Mr. Tuffy pinching the tube.
And I did two tires, x 252 = 504 machine screws. But they are sold in boxes of 500, which was a problem at the hardware store.

I've been thinking about buying the studded tires from the bike shop, because the studs are hardened steel.
But I was worried the studs might be too far apart.

How many studs are in each tire?
Old 12-14-07, 05:56 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might not look like there's any damage, but you might want to look into getting a new skid lid. When my helmet hits pavement, that's it.

Congrats on your initiation to winter commuting, where you can't always keep the shiny side up. I've managed to stay upright so far this winter and last. My problems, curiously, always occur on warm, sunny days. Go figure.
Old 12-14-07, 06:59 PM
swwhite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
I'll try to go out and count them, and maybe see if I can upload a picture (never done it before), sometime soon when it's light outside.
Old 12-14-07, 07:05 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by swwhite
As for the helmet, no damage, it was a very light tap, but it reminded me why I wear it.
That's not good enough. Go back and fall again tomorrow without the helmet so see exactly what the helmet accomplished
Old 12-14-07, 07:28 PM
swwhite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
It might not look like there's any damage, but you might want to look into getting a new skid lid. ... My problems, curiously, always occur on warm, sunny days. Go figure.
Thank you, I have heard that a helmet can sustain damage that can't be seen, but this was a really light tap, no more, I think, than it would have gotten if I had fumbled it and dropped it on the floor at home. And there was snow cover on the street. So I think I'll chance it. However, I am familiar with the concept of the "error chain," a collection of seemingly unrelated and unimportant events that come together at some point and cause a disaster. So I can see the argument for replacing it. We should be watching for the formation of possible error chain links, and break them whenever we see them. I'm one to talk; I shouldn't have been hurrying.

I wonder if, on a sunny winter day, icy spots get a little sheen of water on them to make them extra slippery.
Old 12-14-07, 07:45 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... no more, I think, than it would have gotten if I had fumbled it and dropped it on the floor at home.
That, too is something that would make me replace my helmet. But I buy cheap helmets, and I'm one who has had one save my brain from a real collision, so I'm biased.
So I think I'll chance it.
Ain't my call. I'm just glad nothing's hurt but your pride (and perhaps your faith in studded tires)
Old 12-14-07, 08:12 PM
porq
rain-forest commuter

Bikes: 2008 Kona Dr. Dew, 2002 Kona MokoMoko, 1994 Cadex, 1990 Breezer Thunder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a set of these and I love them. There are just enough studs down the middle to give me traction through ice for stopping and even standing up out of my seat and peddling.

The first couple of rides on dry were a bit dodgy, but the studs have worn down a little and there isn't much friction any more.

I highly recommend these tires:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1788
Old 12-14-07, 11:13 PM
Ouabacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hurrying home from work today because of a little crisis. I have studded tires for winter, the kind with studs at the edges to aid in turns, but no studs down the middle for less rolling resistance. I was coming to a stop at a side street with some bare pavement and some packed snow, and BOOM, down I went. I landed on my side and felt the side of my helmet lightly tap the pavement.

I don't know what I ran into, but I would guess it was a little polished icy spot that I hit while going straight so no studs were in contact with the pavement. So one must not get overconfident with studs. As for the helmet, no damage, it was a very light tap, but it reminded me why I wear it.
Thanks for the reminder. I just got my first set of studdeds tonight. I will say, though, that I do alot of trail riding and I don't know how many times I've ate it, fell, then let my head fall back in exasperation only to hit it on a small tree or limb that I didn't know was there. Probably wouldn't have caused any permanent damage, but I'm sure glad I had my helmet on. My bald head would be alot lumpier if I hadn't.
Old 12-14-07, 11:21 PM
Ouabacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if, on a sunny winter day, icy spots get a little sheen of water on them to make them extra slippery.
Someone told me once that ice skates don't really skate on ice. The friction from the very front of the blade actually melts the ice immediately around it and the rest of the blade rides on a super-thin film of water.
Old 12-15-07, 02:20 AM
MnIceBiker
noob

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly 1x1, Madone 5.0, Hoopty-ass custom-ass 29"er, 20" Cholo Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Nokian makes tires with up to 150 studs, I believe, probably more. And some of their tires have a stud pattern down the middle, so you don't just feel them when you are cornering. Also, they are carbide-tipped which is badass. Mine are into their second winter with no signs of wear.
Old 12-15-07, 08:41 AM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ouabacher
Someone told me once that ice skates don't really skate on ice. The friction from the very front of the blade actually melts the ice immediately around it and the rest of the blade rides on a super-thin film of water.
It's called the triple point...the same thing happens with skis. It isn't actually the friction, per say, but the leading portion of the blade/ski breaking the asperites (tiny ice crystals) which releases enough energy to create a quasi-liquid like layer beneath the rest of the running surface of the blade/ski.

Anyways, this isn't what happens with powder skiing OR studded tires. Yes, I used to work as a snow hydrologist.

Water on ice can and will lead to hydroplaning on ice just as easily as on pavement...it takes 1/8 th of an inch. The popular magic number for cars is 1/4th, but bikes and walking people are severely lighter.

Also, while water isn't the best lubricant in the world it's better than just about anything that's dry. Truly cold, cold ice can be amazingly grippy with embedded debris and even some snow over the top. Just a little bit of melting and you now have a lubricant that destroys what used to be a large coefficient of friction. It isn't the triple point, but the resultant effect is the same.

I don't have studs, but I went down once on Tuesday. Rounding a corner at about 5 mph I wasn't thinking and thought I could get away with leaning...nope. Went down and slid an additional five feet real slowly on my side. It was hilarious. And now I think studs in Colorado are warranted whereas before I would have said they were overkill for our usually dry winters.

Last edited by climbhoser; 12-15-07 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-15-07, 08:58 AM
arcticbiker
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a good reminder when you take a small fall to remember you can take a really serious one if you're over confident or are not concentrating when riding in sketchy conditions.

Coincidentally, I rode 12 miles on really icy lumpy snowy trails to work Friday morning. I averaged about 10 mph. As I approached the parking lot of my office, the dumpster was being emptied by this enormous trash truck. It was pitch black and the driver was sitting up pretty high focused on the task at hand. Since I arrive at work at 6:00 am, the driver was not expecting anyone around although I am lit up pretty well. I slowed and turned quickly to distance myself from his backing radius. Whamm My front wheel caught in a deep rut and down I went. I didn't have time to unclip. I just got up and walked to the front door. First fall of the season and probably not the last. My head did not hit the ground, just my pride.
Old 12-15-07, 09:19 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, studs are only an assistance, not a guarantee. Some ice is very smooth and hard, and the studs just don't grip on it.
Cold dry snow actually grips pretty well. It's when the stuff gets near the melting point that it packs down into miserable stuff.
Still, studs make riding possible at times. Several times I've ridden my bike to work over roads that I would not have liked to have driven on, and were treacherous to walk on.

Rutted up frozen slush is the worst though; it will grab your tires and fling you to the ground. When the shoulders are covered with rutted crap on the high speed 2 lane that I ride on for the last mile of my commute, that's the only time that I pull over every few hundred yards and let traffic behind me clear. I'm NOT riding on the shoulder in those conditions, but when I take the lane for 300 yards, I've got about 80 cars behind me.
Old 12-15-07, 10:01 AM
Ouabacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser
It's called the triple point...the same thing happens with skis. It isn't actually the friction, per say, but the leading portion of the blade/ski breaking the asperites (tiny ice crystals) which releases enough energy to create a quasi-liquid like layer beneath the rest of the running surface of the blade/ski.

Science rocks!
Old 12-15-07, 10:32 AM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Nokian 294 (294 studs) extreme tire on. A carbide tipped stud in every knob on the tire.

They are awesome! The rolling resistance is higher, but I will choose that over crashing.

As with any tire, deep snow is not your friend. I did crash on mine going slowly through a plow furow...

Glad to hear you are ok!
Old 12-15-07, 11:46 AM
Klaw

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport '07 w BBSHD 1000W, Downtube 9FS ’08 w BBS02 750W, 2016 Cannondale Hooligan, 1996 Trek 800. 2022 Mercier Nano

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think you'll want to lower the air pressure on tires with spikes on the outside so they make contact... if you are riding on 100% clear pavement, you can increase the PSI to speed up your ride, but to make use of that stud traction you need low pressure. Low and slow.
Old 12-15-07, 12:09 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't use either here in Canada.I never found the need for studs.I can acheive the same effect with air pressure and I've never worn a helmet.I was riding for 20 years before they became a mass produced product available to the average cyclist.
Old 12-15-07, 12:51 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use both here in Canada. I often find the need for studs. There's no way I could achieve the same effect with air pressure and I always wear a helmet. I've been riding for 30 years, and if I didn't wear a helmet I would have 2-3 severe brain injuries by now.
Old 12-15-07, 01:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
I have seen many people start using studded tires and find that they can't believe they went this long without using them.

I run a home-brewed studded tire on the front of my winter bike finding that with reduced tire pressure I get enough traction and appreciate the better cornering ability the studded tire offers.

There are 52 studs per side to aid in off camber maneuvers while I like leaving the centre free to reduce rolling resistance as much of my winter riding is done on hard frozen pavement and where centre studs become a detriment.

bikeguy - You mentioned that yo have had a few falls on black ice and I can only think that you might have avoided these if you had been running studs.

It's worth considering as I have not had a fall in the last two winters.
Old 12-15-07, 02:21 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
I use both here in Canada. I often find the need for studs. There's no way I could achieve the same effect with air pressure and I always wear a helmet. I've been riding for 30 years, and if I didn't wear a helmet I would have 2-3 severe brain injuries by now.
+1 - I think studded tires & low tire pressure is the ticket!...for the great white north - having said that I always get passed by some guy on a road bike with 23mm tires ripping it up and seemingly having no problems...lol...if I tried that I'd be in the hospital pretty quick - to each his own I guess....

As for helmets I usually don't wear one for casual riding around town..., but winter biking is an activity that I'll 100% put one on for - much higher chance I'll end up on the ground... Skateboarding/snowboarding helmets are both tougher and warmer than typical bike helmets...
Old 12-15-07, 05:59 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...but at Christmas in Carolina, we're chilling in our underwear!
--Squirrel Nut Zippers
Old 12-16-07, 09:38 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a helmet and ride slower
Old 12-16-07, 10:00 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my fifth winter of riding, and I am currently less confident in studded tires than ever at any point during that time. This is mainly the result of recent rides where the ice rendered my Mount and Grounds nearly useless. I crashed for the first time last week and have felt more give on the ice than in any other year.

But i don't know if it's just the conditions, my perception, or a combination of the two. But I have lost a lot of faith in my studded tires. Maybe it's kind of an "ignorance is bliss" sort of deal, where i have been riding on the edge of a crash for five years and didn't know it, but it is odd to be at this point and feeling like such a noob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.