Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

BIG helmet

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

BIG helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 07:10 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BIG helmet

Anyone know of a not-ugly xxl helmet?

I've tried a lot of em and made threads in the past with no luck. Hoping there is a new one or one I haven't heard of. I've returned every XXL helmet I've ordered in the past because none fit any better than my L giro pneumo. The pneumo is useless in winter because the liner makes it too small: it looks like a space man beanie.

I'm a 7-3/4 hat, but the poor fit, even with the larger band models, is how high they sit on my head.

A big helmet that rides low is what I need.

I'm why hats say "one size fits most" instead of "one size fits all". Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-08, 07:34 PM
jimcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a good size noggin. I don't know my hat size of the top of my head (pun intended), but the large Bell Influx MTB helmet I have leaves plenty of room for headgear.
Old 01-12-08, 08:29 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What you're looking for doesn't exist. All of the larger helmets sit high. Actually, bike helmets in general sit high. This might contribute somewhat to my belief that bike helmets are of minimal use, as they don't protect the areas that really need protecting.

- so says the guy with the 8 1/8 head. I scoff at your 7 3/4. You can actually find a mass-produced hat that will fit you. I cannot.

The only suggestion I have is to possibly look into multi-sport helmets if you want more coverage.
Old 01-12-08, 08:39 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro Atlas. 8 1/8 head here, it fits.
Old 01-12-08, 09:26 PM
stedanrac
Back to Biking

Bikes: Surley LHT, Salsa Casseroll, Vintage Trek 830 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bell Metro

I wear a 7 7/8 baseball hat and find the Bell Metro a very comfortable helmet. as far as looks... I like it because it is low key
Old 01-12-08, 10:27 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stedanrac
I wear a 7 7/8 baseball hat and find the Bell Metro a very comfortable helmet. as far as looks... I like it because it is low key
I bought one of those. That was the most high-riding I've ever seen. I compared my head to the promo materials from bell, it made me feel like an alien. The band fit fully extended, but it would only protect me if I fell onto the top of my head. The foam is much smaller than the band. No rear or side protection whatsoever if I fell, and it looked ridiculous. I would love to find that style with a large size shell, but it doesn't seem to exist.
Old 01-12-08, 10:51 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Not sure how large my pumpkin is, but my Metro fits fine on me.

I actually like the looks of it.

jim
Old 01-12-08, 10:59 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
What you're looking for doesn't exist. All of the larger helmets sit high. Actually, bike helmets in general sit high. This might contribute somewhat to my belief that bike helmets are of minimal use, as they don't protect the areas that really need protecting.

- so says the guy with the 8 1/8 head. I scoff at your 7 3/4. You can actually find a mass-produced hat that will fit you. I cannot.

The only suggestion I have is to possibly look into multi-sport helmets if you want more coverage.
What do you wear? Nothing?

That's actually what I wear most of the time, especially when it's cold out and need a liner. I can't do helmet with liner.

I ordered a skate helmet online in an xl size. I'll see how it works out. It'll probably go back. I may try some ski shops later on to see what they stock.

As for a mass produced hat. I wear an irish cap made by hanna. They are comfortable in the large sizes. I have a tilley that fits well too. Both are $50-$100 but they fit well, are comfortable, and come really big

I've never found a baseball cap without some team logo that fits
Old 01-13-08, 07:10 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
I bought one of those. That was the most high-riding I've ever seen. I compared my head to the promo materials from bell, it made me feel like an alien. The band fit fully extended, but it would only protect me if I fell onto the top of my head. The foam is much smaller than the band. No rear or side protection whatsoever if I fell, and it looked ridiculous. I would love to find that style with a large size shell, but it doesn't seem to exist.

My head is 24" around, measured just above the eyebrows. I wear a Bell Metro and I don't understand what you mean by "high-riding". I wear my Metro with the front just above my eyebrows, and one saved my head in a mirror slap by taking an impact just below and behind my left ear. I don't know what you're looking for in a helmet.
Old 01-13-08, 11:46 AM
barndoor
5' 19"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know exactly what O/P is talking about.....

My cranium is a little over 23" diameter and I can't find a helmet that sits right.....everything I've tried sits wayyyy up high on my head.....do you know what a fivehead is?...it's a forehead with an extra floor....and some of us have this type of head....and regular type helmets don't fit. I envy you helmet wearers that can have a helmet sit "just above your eyebrows"....I wonder what that's like???

If only someone would come up with a helmet that is taller, top to bottom, there would probably be a lot more of us "big heads" wearing helmets....

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 01-13-08, 12:21 PM
Map tester
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been using a Bell Triton for about a year now; fits up to 25.6"/65cm heads. https://www.bellbikehelmets.com/produ....asp?prodID=13

More big helmet info: https://www.helmets.org/bighead.htm
Old 01-13-08, 12:37 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts
I have the exact same hat size, and I wear a Bell Alchera...which is an Influx minus the visor. The Alchera sits normally on my head, and if loosened up allows for my winter hat as well. It sits low enough to provide protection for my temples, and if you look at the images of the helmet you can see from the shape how it would do so.

Best helmet I've used. Only one that sits low enough to look nice and normal, and give me protection at my temples.

The Alchera is a helmet that Bell sells in Europe, but periodically Nashbar or Performance will have a sale where I believe they're clearing out last year's stock. I got mine for less than $40 on Nashbar.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-13-08, 01:04 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those that think the Metro doesn't ride high: I envy your normal heads.

I posted a pic on here to see if people thought it would provide any protection, and they all couldn't resist the schoolgirl "lol" before saying to send it back. It was ridiculous. I edited the original post and deleted the pics because it was embarrassing and I didn't want it out there.

I really do love the style of the metro.

Last edited by Jeffbeerman2; 03-06-08 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 01:22 PM
barndoor
5' 19"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link.....however it still doesn't say anything about the "height" of the helmet. Finding one that fits the circumference isn't the problem....it's got to come down far enough over the head to not look too dorky and be more protective.....in that order....

Nothing I have read is specific in that particular area....
...and I don't really want to drop a bunch of $$$$ on helmets that don't fit.....I am hoping another "tallhead" will chime in here with a recommendation.

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 01-13-08, 01:47 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I've sent back:
Garneau Robota. Not any bigger than any other L helmet.
Specialized Aurora (tried it in a bike shop, it is the closest I've found but not much better than my 03 pneumo). Ugly $20 helmet style
Giro Atlas II
Bell metro
I tried a Limar 730 because someone in the clyde forum said it rode lower and fit big heads. It fit very similar to my pneumo Not terrible, but not a lot better. I sent it back.

I like the style of road helmets and less-radical helmets like the Metro. I'm not afraid to spend $$$. I spent a lot of money just to try the limar and the metro above (I bought and returned a loaded metro)

Anyone try Limar "Big One"? I think this helmet must not really exist in the states. Limar's web site hasnt been updated in morethan two years.

Pics of the pneumo attached. You can kind of see that althugh I can get it to stay on my head, there is a space above my head and the shell doesn't come down to rest on my head, it just hind of hovers up high and the strap keeps it on. If the shell shape was closer to my actual head, it would fit great. The band fits. It really is the best I've found. My girlfriend has a Giro Gila from dicks in a L. If I wear that adjusted all the way out the tightness gives me a bad headache and it takes a day for the mark it leaves to go away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2317.JPG (47.7 KB, 39 views)
IMG_2319.JPG (31.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-13-08, 02:28 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone will hate this idea, but I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a truly hair-brained scheme

I'm thinking about buying one of these d3o beanies this winter.

When the weather gets better I'm going to tear it apart and sew the protection into one of these.

If it doesn't work I'll be out $170, but that cap fits me well. It actually covers the back of my head and comes within an inch of my ears. Helmets won't do this on my head. Helmet manufacturers are a joke. Their products only fit the tip top of the bell curve.
Old 01-13-08, 03:10 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the ribcap is a decent alternative. If i felt like it would fit, I would probably have bought one. I just have a feeling that a medium/large just isn't going to work for me.
Old 03-06-08, 05:42 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I finally found one that fits.

I was browsing at a LBS at lunch today. I always try on helmets when I am in a shop, in hopes of finding the right fit. The shop had a Triton in stock, and it fits great! It was an amazing experience. I guarantee I have tried over 30 helmets, including three extended size models that I had to return in the mail. Finding a well-fitting helmet kind of blew me away. I didn't stop smiling for over an hour.

It has a more than adequate band size, long enough straps, and rests low enough to make me look less like an alien . It looks as good as any $60-$80 road helmet with the visor removed, and doesn't look like a $20 wal-mart job.

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Edited to add pics, to compare with the above images of my giro. Looks a lot less wierd when your helmet fits
Attached Images
IMG_2404.JPG (36.1 KB, 35 views)
IMG_2403.JPG (38.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Jeffbeerman2; 03-06-08 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-06-08, 11:35 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
Update: I finally found one that fits.

I was browsing at a LBS at lunch today. I always try on helmets when I am in a shop, in hopes of finding the right fit. The shop had a Triton in stock, and it fits great! It was an amazing experience. I guarantee I have tried over 30 helmets, including three extended size models that I had to return in the mail. Finding a well-fitting helmet kind of blew me away. I didn't stop smiling for over an hour.

It has a more than adequate band size, long enough straps, and rests low enough to make me look less like an alien . It looks as good as any $60-$80 road helmet with the visor removed, and doesn't look like a $20 wal-mart job.

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Edited to add pics, to compare with the above images of my giro. Looks a lot less wierd when your helmet fits

Congratulations on finding your ideal helmet. May I make a suggestion? BUY A COUPLE OF SPARES. Seriously. Helmet companies are notorious for discontinuing good helmets. Bell did it with the Metro, so I have two spares in storage. I have them in their boxes, wrapped up and kept in a dark closet.
Old 03-06-08, 11:55 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hehe....
Old 03-07-08, 08:35 AM
Jeffbeerman2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
Congratulations on finding your ideal helmet. May I make a suggestion? BUY A COUPLE OF SPARES. Seriously. Helmet companies are notorious for discontinuing good helmets. Bell did it with the Metro, so I have two spares in storage. I have them in their boxes, wrapped up and kept in a dark closet.
Good idea. I think I'll do that next paycheck. Only set me back $40 anyhow, three are the same price as a roadie helmet.
Old 03-07-08, 09:21 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by barndoor
I know exactly what O/P is talking about.....

My cranium is a little over 23" diameter
Wait, what? Your head is nearly 2 feet across**********? That's 72" circumference. You win.

I'm at 60cm (whatever that is in inches). I use a Bell Metro (large) and love it. I had a Citi until I cracked it on the pavement, it was OK but barely made it up large enough, and was cramped with a thin balaclava in the winter.
Old 02-24-11, 05:20 PM
Pipps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Map tester
Great link! It helped me find the Specialized Max XXL - an aesthetically sound racing-style helmet. I am looking forward to finally wearing something that will fit me!
Old 02-24-11, 05:52 PM
corkscrew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Giro "Atlas" it was the largest size my LBS had at the time. Adjusts to fit my large head, and any number of layers I might be wearing under it.
Old 02-24-11, 08:49 PM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As mentioned, the Triton and Atlas are awesome. I also use a Bern Brentwood in matte black with a built in visor for colder riding and mountain biking. The xxl is pretty roomy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.