Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

27" high quality tires - do we want them??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 09:14 AM
RichPinder

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

[Note... I posted this to the ClassicRendevous list - if you're replied there, please ignore this request]

Hi all,

I'd like to take a quick poll here - reply to the list or to me directly, whichever you wish.

Not to detract from the few manufacturers that still do make 27" tires, but I personally would like to see more choices in this size. I have a beautiful set of 22mm Veloflex Pave out in the garage ( just waiting to go out on our upcoming Colnago ride, thanks to a recent list post), and I have two sets of the fantastic Gran Bois tires on bikes I ride often. But these tires are all 700c.

Here are the quick questions:

1) Do you own and spend enough time riding vintage bikes with 27" rims such that you would LIKE to see more purchasing choices in tires than you currently have ??

2) If available, would you be interested in buying set(s) of the Gran Bois tires ?? These tires have been discussed here on the list before, and reviewed in a recent issue of Bicycle Quarterly. Price point MIGHT be in the $50-$60 range, based on prices I see for the 700c. models

3) If your answered YES to question 2 above, CURRENTLY.. how many pair of such a tire might you be interested in ??

4) If your answered YES to question 2 above, which ONE size would you like to see? (These are accurate widths):
(choose ONE)
a) 25 mm
b) 29 mm
c) 31 mm

Thanks
Rich Pinder
Van Nuys, CA
Old 01-18-08, 09:22 AM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,143 Times in 668 Posts
Rich,

Not many of my bicycles have 27" wheels. I've got five, but three of them are getting sold in the spring. Neither of those are likely to be high mileage machines, and I'm satisfied with the Kendas (under $10.00 a pop if you know where to look) that are on the fixed gear, and quite happy with the Paselas that are on the old Holland. They're 1-1/4" - which I guess is just about 32mm. They are fast, and the ride is plush. Doesn't hurt that they can be had for under $30.00 just about any day of the week.
Old 01-18-08, 09:28 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I would have been with you on this one if the Pasela hadn't turned out to be such a nice tire.
Old 01-18-08, 10:18 AM
Dr.Deltron

ALL 8 of my road bikes, sans the sew-ups on the Rock Lobster, are 27"!

OK, my Tour Easy has a 700c rear wheel..but I'm not counting recumbents, that's a different forum

But of the 27"ers, the tire I'd love to find a spare pair of are...

Avocet FastGrip Criterium K20's, in 27x1! I've always prefered slicks as opposed to treaded tires.

THOSE are on my Colnago!

Which also has my favorite pair of wheels...
The Avocet tires mounted to MA-40 rims, laced crows foot F; 4x R, with DT DB spokes, red & purple alloy nipples on a red Bullseye hubs, held tight by C Record qr's & a Regina Oro 6 spd fw 13-23.

Old 01-18-08, 10:55 AM
awc380

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See this is what happens when you post far too specific instructions about how you want feedback on a subject.
We'll just start talking about it amongst ourselves....
: )
Old 01-18-08, 11:10 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I fall into the camp of people that like vintage because it is fun and inexpensive. For that reason, I don't see myself paying as much for bicycle tires as car tires...

If I were to ride a pair and fall in love, then maybe... but I couldn't see spending more than $15-$20 for tires just to see if I can tell the difference.

I am a casual rider, and the Pasela TG tires seem to be good for me.
Old 01-18-08, 12:18 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I fall into the camp of people that like vintage because it is fun and inexpensive. For that reason, I don't see myself paying as much for bicycle tires as car tires...

If I were to ride a pair and fall in love, then maybe... but I couldn't see spending more than $15-$20 for tires just to see if I can tell the difference.

Well put. I too suspect that with some notable exceptions, the vast majority of bikes with 27" tires are owned and used because they are cheaper then some other alternatives. So, I would also conclude that the market would be relatively small.

Others have predicted the end of the supply of 27" sometime soon. I kind of doubt it for the forseeable future, but I will predict that the supply will gravitate more and more towards the low-end ones.

Maybe the fixy boom will inflate the market for higher end 27" tires for a while, though.

jim
Old 01-18-08, 12:30 PM
Dr.Deltron

Originally Posted by jgedwa
Maybe the fixy boom will inflate the market for higher end 27" tires for a while, though.
I'm feelin' that!

Last two pairs of Mavic MA or G 40's ran me over $150/pair!

Although... I did score a free 700c G40 in the deal, so that softened the blow a bit.
And before anyone PM's me about it....

...it's a 40 holer! ie: NOT 36 spoke holes. Just 411.

VIVA La 27's!!!!

Old 01-18-08, 12:54 PM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I find the Panaracer Pasela TG's to be all the tire that I need for the bikes that I have with 27" wheels. They are about $20 per tire currently and don't see that I would pay more than $30 per tire for these bikes. Well really that is about as much as I would want to pay for my 700c or 26" too.
Old 01-18-08, 01:31 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,057 Times in 2,698 Posts
I like the Panaracer Pasela tires a great deal and am glad that they are still made in 630mm size. However, the TGs are folding/kevlar bead and thus are not candidates for vintage bikes with non-hooked-bead rims. I'm not sure if this would be an issue with the Grand Bois, but I can report that I have a pair of those tires on my Kogswell in 650B size, and they're terrific. I also have a set in 700c size, but haven't ridden them much yet. I look forward to doing that once winter subsides (and I can take my 559mm wheeled Bridgestone CB-1 out of winter duty).

Neal
Old 01-18-08, 01:38 PM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I have two bikes with 27" wheels and both were ridden lots of miles last season. When I was looking for tires I would have definitely been happy with more choices. The Panaracers that folks here recommended turned out OK.

One reason people replace their 27" wheels with 700c is because of the lack of tire choices. That being said I can't see spending more money on a tire than I paid for the bike ;-)

It also looks as though both of our 27" bikes will be sold in the spring. I don't know enough about the tire to know who the target market is but I agree with the people who've already said that the majority of 27" inch wheels anymore are found on older lower end bikes.
Old 01-18-08, 01:46 PM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
id be into some nice quality 27 1 1/4 tires. I've just been using gatorskins, which are fine, but id love me a nice gummy sidewall...
Old 01-18-08, 01:52 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin

True enough. But, there are some tires that ride night-and-day better than others. The two I use exclusively are Michelin Pro Race 2's and Continental Grand Prix 4000's. They are fantastic riding tires, even for casual use. They are relatively expensive, but worth every penny IMO. I won't use anything else if given the choice, but they don't come in 27"

When I was piling up miles on 27" tires I liked the Continental Sport 1000, but it isn't made any more. Presently, all my bikes (save one, and that includes vintage), ride on 700c wheels/tires. And they all sport the Pro 2's except the Palo Alto - it has the GP 4000's.

So, to answer the OP's question - naw, I don't care much about high performance 27" tires. As long as I can get "decent" low cost ones, I'm good.

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-18-08, 01:53 PM
Grand Bois

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
The 27" Pasela tg's are available in both kevlar and wire bead. I have a pair in wire bead, but they're 1" and I'd prefer some wider ones. I couldn't find any the last time I searched. I hope they're still making them and will continue to make them for a while.
Old 01-18-08, 02:08 PM
moki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so no folding bead tires with a hookless rim? good to know.
Old 01-18-08, 02:13 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
Which also has my favorite pair of wheels...
The Avocet tires mounted to MA-40 rims, laced crows foot F; 4x R, with DT DB spokes, red & purple alloy nipples on a red Bullseye hubs, held tight by C Record qr's & a Regina Oro 6 spd fw 13-23.
Old 01-18-08, 02:28 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had some nice 27" rims sure.. I would love a good light 27X1 set.
27 X 1 1/8 is good for rougher roads.
27 X 1 1/4... yuk, too wide- only good for winter slush and snow riding. Don't want high quality for that.
Old 01-18-08, 05:23 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,263 Times in 998 Posts
Two nice brands in 27" that I've used during the past year have been the IRC Triathalon and the Vittoria Zafirro, both have kevlar or some type of puncture protection. They have wire bead and I've not had a flat with either brand. $15-20 plus shipping. I am stocking up on the nicer 27" tires in case they stop making them. I've been having a hard time finding the IRCs.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-18-08, 05:53 PM
colintdesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a pair of Vittoria Zafirro's to replace the 6.99 forte's from performance and they are great. I like the fortes at first, but once winter hit and the roads had more rocks, salt and debris I was getting flats. They tear really easily. So I upgraded to the Vittoria's and am happy. Much tougher with great grip and nice ride. Honestly I probably wouldn't pay more than $20 for a tire though.
Old 01-18-08, 06:04 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,057 Times in 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Two nice brands in 27" that I've used during the past year have been the IRC Triathalon and the Vittoria Zafirro, both have kevlar or some type of puncture protection. They have wire bead and I've not had a flat with either brand. $15-20 plus shipping. I am stocking up on the nicer 27" tires in case they stop making them. I've been having a hard time finding the IRCs.
Bob, do those tires have tan sidewalls? That's a plus for the Panaracer models, imo.

Neal
Old 01-18-08, 06:19 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Like most others here, I don't think I could justify a higher end tire than what is available. I have only one bike with 27 inch rims that could truly be called higher end (83 Woodrup). Otherwise they mostly fall into the catagory of "recreational" bikes. Other than the Continental Ultrasports on my Nishiki, I use either Forte GT's or gumwall Kendas. If it costs me over $25 a tire, it's on a 700C rim.
Old 01-18-08, 06:57 PM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I'm just wondering what happpened to IRC Roadwinners. I bought a set for a flip bike, and that was the last I've seen of them. They just dropped off the face of the earth? I can't see myself spending over $25 a tire for ANY sized tire. I think the new crop of 700's are ridiculously priced IMHO. $80+ for a set of bike tires is laughable to me.,,,,BD
Old 01-18-08, 08:07 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by moki
so no folding bead tires with a hookless rim? good to know.
In my experience yes. It was a hard lesson for me to learn since seemingly none of the info I was getting at the time indicated this. I started to think I was crazy when it came to tires, since this advice does not commonly appear.

Hookless rims in general can be trouble. High pressure is out, for sure. And kevlar beads seems very problematic.

jim
Old 01-18-08, 08:15 PM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,143 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Bob, do those tires have tan sidewalls? That's a plus for the Panaracer models, imo.

Neal
Zaffiros? No. I have one of them. It's not bad, but I prefer the Paselas.
Old 01-18-08, 08:34 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The $14 IRC HP90's I was using now and then have vanished too. They were great for a cheap tire, and had the vintage look. For everything else I like Continential Ultra sports or Panaracer Paselas. The Panaracers come in 1-1/8, which I'd rather have on road bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.