Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Attaching front and rear bike racks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 06:27 PM
SSmith
Commuter

Bikes: Miyata 310, Rocky Mountain Sherpa, Nishika Landau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(Warning: Please excuse crappy cell-phone pictures)

Ok, first off I just attached my rear rack, and I think I did everything right except I'm not sure if I should have bent the attachments which go to the bike before I screwed it down (which created tension, note the curve, that was straight before I fastened the down the nuts and bolts on the rack, and it naturally got that curve as I tightened them).

Is it going to break on me if things get rough because of that tension (i.e. should I take it off, bend them and then re-attach?)

Secondly, when attaching the front rack I noticed that my fender and front rack need to use the same mounting point, any suggestions?

Closeup

Old 01-22-08, 06:33 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SSmith
Ok, first off I just attached my rear rack, and I think I did everything right except I'm not sure if I should have bent the attachments which go to the bike before I screwed it down (which created tension, note the curve, that was straight before I fastened the down the nuts and bolts on the rack, and it naturally got that curve as I tightened them).

Is it going to break on me if things get rough because of that tension (i.e. should I take it off, bend them and then re-attach?)
No need, you did it just right.

Originally Posted by SSmith
Secondly, when attaching the front rack I noticed that my fender and front rack need to use the same mounting point, any suggestions?
This is common. Ideally, the rack should mount closest to the frame, and the fender stays outboard of the rack, but that isn't always possible.

Sheldon "Hope You Lubed The Bolts" Brown
Old 01-22-08, 06:45 PM
SSmith
Commuter

Bikes: Miyata 310, Rocky Mountain Sherpa, Nishika Landau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic, thanks for the assist!

One more thing, I got the front rack on and removed my fender temporarily, but the front rack seems to be skewed. Is it defective? Can it be bent back into shape?

Last edited by SSmith; 01-22-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 03:17 PM
TheFool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just gently bend it back. My impression is that racks and their attachment parts are meant to be bent a bit, they need to be to fit various bikes without coming with a big bag of bizzare adapter pieces