Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

kinky new STI cable outer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 07:55 PM
chainreka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I put new STI cables on my bike a few days ago and now the right side shifter cable has developed some odd looking kinks right up near the shifter. What's going on? I'm sure the outer is long enough, and I used new cables, with a shot of WD40 in the outer for lubrication. Also used metal caps over the ends of the outer. Is the outer collapsing/weakening already? Is it something I did? Should I ignore it or is it gonna fail??...It seems to be working fine at the moment. Bit annoyed about it, since I have other things to do before I can go look at it.
Old 09-23-03, 06:48 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is likely too short, and turning the bars causes the kinks to form. That is another reason I prefer the Campy setup- both brake and shifter cables are safely tucked under the bar tape. As for the WD-40, it is NOT a lubricant. It is a water dispersant (W D), and a solvent, but has no long lasting lubricating properties. A good teflon based chain lube would have been a better idea.
Old 09-23-03, 07:04 AM
Hot Pepper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My personal opinion on lubing cables is, use bearing grease, wiping off all excess. A shot of WD through the housing to dissolve any gunk and force it out. Let the WD evaporate, or blow it out with compressed air(lung power will work) so it does not loosen the little bit of grease you applied to the cables. All exposed cable should be wiped completely clean of grease, allowing for an invisible coating. This will keep dirt from adhering to the cable and working into the housing, while keeping it protected from corrosion.
Old 09-23-03, 08:24 PM
chainreka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I realised as I typed it that someone would chastise me for calling WD40 a lubricant....I've only recently learnt/accepted that it has NO real lubricating properties...I really don't know why I used it.

I'm pretty sure the cable is plenty long enough...maybe even too long causing a sharper turn before the headtube than optimal. I think I'll just leave it, or maybe I'll put some proper lube in there and trim it a little while I'm at it....*maybe*...going for a dip down the pool or eating some watermelon sounds like a better idea.