Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Visiting 2008 Tour??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 05:30 PM
Russ Richmond
Russ

Bikes: Merlin road bike, Specialized mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Visiting 2008 Tour??

My wife and I are seriously considering going to the south of France during the '08 Tour and staying in a small town there. During our stay is the famous ride up L' Alpe d'Huez. Has anyone done the Tour and tell me what the access to the mountain is during the day of the race so I can figure out how to get there and be ready before the stage begins?

Thanks.

Russ
Old 01-27-08, 01:13 PM
Rénald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!
I'm french...I come from South of France,from Provence exactly.
I post some news on Road cycling.

I've seen your message and I'm ready to help you to come here during Tour de France 2008.
I'll give you more informations this week.

Bye!
Old 01-27-08, 05:12 PM
bikeoutfit

Bikes: Santana Arriva S&S, Calfee Tetra S&S, Cooper, Ritchey, Trek T2000, Trek Carbon ATB to name a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
L'Alpe d'Huez on Race Day

I have been at L'Alpe on race day a number of times. The only time it was a problem was the year of the Time Trial (which Lance won of course). 2004. That particular year I had 72 clients plus 4 of us, 2 vans and 2 busses (no helicopters, we are the low price alternative).

The things to know for 2008 is that bikes will be allowed up and down until about 3 hours before the race gets there. That means you can ride up until about 2:30PM - normally. It is an awesome experience, with so many cyclists . . . a true Cyclist Pilgrimmage. Cars are usually stopped the night before about 10PM - midnight.

Most tour companies tell their clients to be off the climb by about 2PM. We tell our clients to stay on the climb or at the finish aboe turn 5. At Turn 5 (of the 21 switchbacks) there is an exit road to the west which is awesome for bikes (cars too, but hairy). There is also an exit to the east which leads towards Deux Alpes and Briancon.

All the hotels are fully booked for official TdF teams ect the night of the race. We stay on L'Alpe the 2 nights before so we can ride the climb a couple times and do an informal TT. On race day we wake up to the setting up of the finish area near our hotel, get out of our rooms because one of the race teams is checking in, move our van off the mountain via the west exit. Our clients watch the race where ever they want then join us after the race at the bottom to the west and we van to our next hotel. Really a fun day.

I suggest using this type of format when you are there. The other possibility is to go to the L'Alpe web site and book an apartment. The Teams and official TdF folks do not do this for the most part. It is a huge ski resort at the top with many hotels and condo/apartments and lots of places to eat and many shops.

Enjoy your self! Write me off list if you like at: bikeoutfit@aol.com or on list is fine.

Dick Powell, www.OutfitterTours.com
Founder & Fromer Owner of The Bicycle Outfitter of Los Altos, CA
Old 01-28-08, 01:55 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Alternative Plan: Ride L'Alpe de Huez the day before the stage ends there. Day of the L'Alpe de Huez stage, ride to the top of the Col de Galibier, and watch the race there. Then after the race comes through, you can easily get down the Galibier to the top of the Col du Lauteret, and watch the stage finish on TV at a the bar at the hotel there.

This way you get to do both climbs on the stage, and avoid the hours long slugfest off of L'Alpe de Huez and out of Borg d'Aisan
Old 01-29-08, 08:17 AM
Rénald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Russ!

If you decide to come in France for the Tour de France 2008 , I've some informations for you.
My neighbour rent a "maison d'hote" next to my house and it's available during Tour.
To help you I could fetch you to Marseille's airport.Afterthat I could advertise you to spend good time in France.
For more informations contact me...

See you later!
Old 01-29-08, 12:19 PM
Russ Richmond
Russ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fabulous

Thanks so much.
Old 01-29-08, 12:21 PM
Russ Richmond
Russ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Info

Thanks. Sounds like a plan. I wonder if I am capable of riding up that monster :-))

Russ
Old 02-17-08, 02:58 PM
JungleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may be in France for the first two weeks of the tour and would like to catch one of the stages or the TT (sucks that I'll miss l'Alpe tho!). Here's my very tentative agenda so far:

June 27-July 4, in London
July 4-July 11, in Paris
July 11-July 18, in southern France (maybe Nice)

My preference is to catch the TT via a simple day trip to/from Paris. How difficult would that be? Alternatively, while I'm transferring to southern France, I could catch the Super Besse or Aurillac stages.

PS - Russ, let me know your agenda, maybe we can catch a brew somewhere.
Old 03-18-08, 05:27 AM
marmotte

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
L'Alpe d'Huez is much too crowded and in my opinion a little bit freaky (have you seen these guys in TV?). I will prefer the climb up to Croix de Fer (and stay in St Jean for a couple of days), so I can ride Croix-de-Fer, Madeleine, Glandon, Télégraphe, Galibier and Montvernier during my "séjour".
marmotte
Old 03-18-08, 11:29 AM
tn_roadie

Bikes: Rivendell Ram, Surly LHT, Trek E-bike

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Lourdes Hotels?

I'm told there are a lot of hotels in Lourdes. This is close to several of the stages in the Pyrenees. Is this a good place to stay for several days to see the mountain stages? Any advice on how and where to find a good spot to watch the pelton come by?
Old 03-19-08, 02:53 PM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Normally, I'd recommend Lannemezan over Lourdes, since its smaller and easier to get out for rides in the countryside, but this year, the tour actually starts a stage there, so I imagine it will be impossible to find a room, which is too bad since we found it to be close enough to all the big climbs in the pyrenees, but just out of the way enough to escape the crazyness.

You won't have a problem finding a place in Lourdes, plenty of hotels have been built there to house the Catholic hordes.
Old 03-24-08, 11:18 AM
bikeoutfit

Bikes: Santana Arriva S&S, Calfee Tetra S&S, Cooper, Ritchey, Trek T2000, Trek Carbon ATB to name a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tn_roadie
I'm told there are a lot of hotels in Lourdes. This is close to several of the stages in the Pyrenees. Is this a good place to stay for several days to see the mountain stages? Any advice on how and where to find a good spot to watch the pelton come by?
I have 3 favorite towns which give easy access to the major Cols of the Pyrenees. Luz-St-Sauveur, Arreau and St-Girons. Luz has Luz Ardiden, Hautacam, Tourmalet and Aubisque all as out and back rides. Outstanding and a lovely village. Arreau has Pla-d'Adet and Peyresourde and Aspin as out and backs. St-Girons has the lower but very steep Mente, Portlet-d'Aspet, Col de la Core, La trape and Col de Port and more as out and backs.

I have just put together a group of Self Guided Cycle Climbing Adventures which include the Pyrenees, Alpes, Dolomites and Mont Ventoux. If interested in ideas check out:
www.outfittertours.com Scan down to Cycling Adventures.

Dick Powell
Old 03-25-08, 09:20 AM
nsotor2

Bikes: cervello P2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a recent college graduate who is going to be spending some time this summer traveling through Europe. I have been a fan of the Tour for a long time now and it has always been a dream of my own and my father's to see the Tour. Since I am going to be in Europe this summer I have been planning on trying to see a few of the beginning stages this year from July 6-10. I am an avid biker (triathlete really) but because of the nature of my trip I will be unable to bring my bike with me or probably afford to rent one.
Does anyone know how I could catch a few stages for relatively cheap, and what town I would want to stay in during this time?

Any help would be appriciated,
Nick Sotor
Old 03-25-08, 04:00 PM
lorenzo-IT
ciclista ligure ;=)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nsotor2
I am a recent college graduate who is going to be spending some time this summer traveling through Europe. I have been a fan of the Tour for a long time now and it has always been a dream of my own and my father's to see the Tour. Since I am going to be in Europe this summer I have been planning on trying to see a few of the beginning stages this year from July 6-10. I am an avid biker (triathlete really) but because of the nature of my trip I will be unable to bring my bike with me or probably afford to rent one.
Does anyone know how I could catch a few stages for relatively cheap, and what town I would want to stay in during this time?

Any help would be appriciated,
Nick Sotor

Two stages in Italy :
stage 15 , Sunday 20 July , Digne-les-Bains-Prato Nevoso
rest day Monday 21 July in Cuneo
stage 16 , Tuesday 22 July , Cuneo - Jausier

Prato Nevoso is an hard climb
Stage 16 its something expecial crossing the Col de la Lombarde and the Col de la Bonnette (the highest pass in Europe at over 2800 meters altitude)

Cuneo is very cheap !