Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Helmet mirrors

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Helmet mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 06:26 PM
KidTruth

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, 2007 Trek 7.3 FX, 2005 generic Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet mirrors

Why all the hate? I'm bound to prescription glasses and I use a glasses mirror. Sometimes on the lonely farm roads I like to play around on the road (drift side to side, etc) and this lets me know when I don't have to worry about cars. Also, I can start speeding up the second I see that cyclist spec in my mirror.

So why all the hatred? They seem to be the most commonly identified as "Freddish".. but you'll shave your legs and wear magenta spandex shorts and not be worried at all.
Old 02-01-08, 06:34 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have their uses, but on the open road? Swivel your neck.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 02-01-08, 07:04 PM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
They have their uses, but on the open road? Swivel your neck.
I'm not as flexible as I used to be and a mirror helps a lot. I'm too old to worry about looking Fredly.
Old 02-01-08, 07:06 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KidTruth
Why all the hate? I'm bound to prescription glasses and I use a glasses mirror. Sometimes on the lonely farm roads I like to play around on the road (drift side to side, etc) and this lets me know when I don't have to worry about cars. Also, I can start speeding up the second I see that cyclist spec in my mirror.

So why all the hatred? They seem to be the most commonly identified as "Freddish".. but you'll shave your legs and wear magenta spandex shorts and not be worried at all.
Old 02-01-08, 08:14 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,308 Times in 561 Posts
Rotate that thing that's just above your shoulder....or would doing that cause you to swerve into oncoming traffic.

Squirrel?

Old 02-01-08, 08:16 PM
GeraldChan
road curmudgeon, FG rider

Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
KidTruth: I also use a mirror and am old enough and slow enough to not care about being "Fredish".

I doubt that many here on this forum earn a living pedalling a bike lay off the hatin'.
Old 02-01-08, 08:18 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
You know, I used one actually back in the middle 70s. They were sort of novel back then. I think that the best were made by a company called Ed's. Ed's Mirrors. Some others attached with a roach clip alligator clip and between that and the little mirror, you were set for riding and partying. I really do think that they are a good idea and rode with one up until a few years ago when I moved to a sparsely populated region in the west where there wasn't much traffic and you could easily hear what was coming. I know that the racer wanna' bes' all think that you look like some touring cyclist nerd when you use one but you know what? It's all about what works for you. Hell, there was a time when if you wore black socks while riding, every one would sort of move away from you, then Lance would only ride with black socks and now you are cool if you do too. I still think that they are a good idea.
Old 02-01-08, 08:19 PM
downtown

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0, 1998 Trek ZX7000, 1994 Trek 1400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Years ago I thought those mirrors were the gayest thing around. A friend of mine started using one and I tried it one day.......I've had one ever since. The main thing is for knowing what is coming up behind you and you can ride two abreast and not have to turn around all the time. I use the Take a Look, it has a real glass mirror, I mounted mine on my helmet, not the glasses. As far as looking Fredly, I don't care what people think!

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...p?p=TLEGM&tn=0
Old 02-01-08, 08:48 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use these and i love them!

Old 02-01-08, 09:50 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Liked 462 Times in 271 Posts
I use one of these on the bar below the left brifter. It does not stand out. Works great when on the hoods but a little cumbersome shifting from the drops. I tried it o the top tube like the left picture but my knee kept hitting it.

Old 02-01-08, 11:24 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fred is as Fred does
Old 02-01-08, 11:34 PM
markyore
markyore

Bikes: Specailized s-works E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=KidTruth;6092809]. Also, I can start speeding up the second I see that cyclist spec in my mirror.
QUOTE]

Thing is, most people *think* they are THAT cyclist!
Old 02-01-08, 11:51 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A person without a mirror can see neither in front of them or behind for a portion of the time during a head check.

A person without a mirror cannot always tell if a driver is migrating onto the shoulder.

A person without a mirror cannot consistently monitor dynamic changes in driver speed and positioning changes that would indicate recognition and adjustment for the presence of a cyclist and therefore cannot compare these dynamic changes to what is usual in the region.

A person without a mirror will hug a white line or shoulder and hope a texting teenager isn't drifting at an otherwise obvious constant speed and direction toward them.

A person without a mirror gives more of the responsibility of their safety to overtaking vehicles than those with mirrors.

A person who is so distracted by a mirror that they cannot pay sufficient attention to what is ahead should seriously reconsider cycling, or being anywhere near a street.

A person without a mirror will be surprised by Al Gore cars.

A person without a mirror looks cool like Lance.

There is no valid argument for not using a mirror except for some sense of warped vanity or machismo or some cognitive inability to use mirrors.

I guess those are valid, but less safe.
Old 02-01-08, 11:52 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've got one that's mounted underneath the left end of the visor. I can "de-Fred" by pivoting it underneath & across. It stays protected that way after I take the helmet off, too.
Old 02-02-08, 12:06 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I bet you guys don't turn you head and look when changing lanes or backing up in your cars either....you just the mirrors

Old 02-02-08, 12:08 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by sam83
A person without a mirror can see neither in front of them or behind for a portion of the time during a head check.

A person without a mirror cannot always tell if a driver is migrating onto the shoulder.

A person without a mirror cannot consistently monitor dynamic changes in driver speed and positioning changes that would indicate recognition and adjustment for the presence of a cyclist and therefore cannot compare these dynamic changes to what is usual in the region.

A person without a mirror will hug a white line or shoulder and hope a texting teenager isn't drifting at an otherwise obvious constant speed and direction toward them.

A person without a mirror gives more of the responsibility of their safety to overtaking vehicles than those with mirrors.

A person who is so distracted by a mirror that they cannot pay sufficient attention to what is ahead should seriously reconsider cycling, or being anywhere near a street.

A person without a mirror looks cool like Lance.

There is no valid argument for not using a mirror except for some sense of warped vanity or machismo or some cognitive inability to use mirrors.

I guess those are valid, but less safe.
Hmmm...sounds like you'd be more comfortable here...

...or here...

...or here.

Old 02-02-08, 12:14 AM
akaio

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik (2007) & Bridgestone RB-2 (1994).

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^-- Haha

Mirrors would be nice for touring, but for a brisk day out on the bike I can handle myself fine without.
Old 02-02-08, 12:19 AM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a mirror that i will put on the end of my left bar for when im riding with my MP3 player. ive noticed that when riding without it i will instinctively look at where it would be before turning my head. i like it being there when im on the roads but i do most of my riding on a MUP.
Old 02-02-08, 12:24 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Especially if such a car is following the loud dump truck that just passed you.
Old 02-02-08, 12:29 AM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I bet you guys don't turn you head and look when changing lanes or backing up in your cars either....you just the mirrors
Absolutely not. Just because you have a mirror doesn't mean that's all you use. Headchecks are a must in many situations and a mirror does not preclude its' use.

You can't really believe you have less situational awareness with a mirror.

You can't really believe you are safer with less situational awareness unless your argument is that your brain can't process all that info.

So why don't you use one?

A) You prefer less situational awareness.
B) It's not cool.
C) I've got a 6th sense that works better.
Old 02-02-08, 12:39 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Absolutely not. Just because you have a mirror doesn't mean that's all you use. Headchecks are a must in many situations and a mirror does not preclude its' use.

You can't really believe you have less situational awareness with a mirror.

You can't really believe you are safer with less situational awareness unless your argument is that your brain can't process all that info.

So why don't you use one?

A) You prefer less situational awareness.
B) It's not cool.
C) I've got a 6th sense that works better.
OOooooo.....clicky, clicky.

Old 02-02-08, 12:42 AM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dudes.. you got me thinking.. why not just use these kind of sunglasses instead of those god awful mirrors..

Last edited by WxGuesser; 02-02-08 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 05:15 AM
downtown

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0, 1998 Trek ZX7000, 1994 Trek 1400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=sam83;6094616]Absolutely not. Just because you have a mirror doesn't mean that's all you use. Headchecks are a must in many situations and a mirror does not preclude its' use.QUOTE]

Exactly......When turning across the road I always look and not just rely on my mirror, but for just knowing what is going on around me, it's the best safety device I have.....Sam83, I see you are from middle TN, same here, so you know how people drive around here, you need to have some sort of warning. People can call me a Fred or whatever all day long, who cares, I just want to do my thing safely so I can go home and hug my kids, not get tagged by some fool texting while doing 55 around the curve.
Old 02-02-08, 05:42 AM
look565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
what he said
Old 02-02-08, 06:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
So why all the hatred?
Why do you even ask? This is road cycling and making fun of other road cyclists is what we do. I think that's because our mother's bottle fed us as babies so now we're doomed to live a lifetime of emotional insecurity. There is no detail of your bike, clothing, performance or behavior that's beyond scrutiny. No matter what you do we will find something to scoff about. That's just the way it is.

Practice this mantra: "You do what you think's best for you and I'll do what I think is best for me." If they get too abusive sometimes it helps to add an alternate word for "anus" on the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.