Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

use FSA or get new cranks

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 10:24 AM
threeoneseven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i just bought a new frame to build up a race rig, and am beginning to gather parts. i was wondering your thoughts on using a set of fsa gossamer cranks i have in my parts bin (~100 miles on it), replacing the rings and possibly b.b. vs. buying a new ultegra sl set.

the weights are similar - taken off weight weenies:
ultegra sl with sl b.b. - 811g
gossamer with ceramic b.b. and super rings - ~860g

i could save around $150 with the fsa with the prices i can get. but i have read nothing but negatives about fsa b.b. and their longevity.

i have never used gossamers but i thought i remember hearing they are pretty stiff and were used by csc's Fabian Cancellara last year? thanks for any insight.
Old 02-02-08, 10:28 AM
JBS103
James

Bikes: 2005 S-Works Roubaix Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion, the gossamer cranks are probably FSA's most durable crank, and for the price you can get them, a pretty good buy. I was running a compact gossamer with an FSA bottom bracket and had no problems at all. I've since replaced it as I went for a standard double set up.

Although with FSA, experiences vary moreso than any other company.
Old 02-02-08, 11:34 AM
agilis
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Felt FC Custom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with a SRAM Force compact crankset to go with my dura-ace groupo. So far I love it. shifts great... and now that RED is out... you can usually find one pretty cheap on eBay with BB.
Old 02-02-08, 11:48 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The gossamer is a nice cheap crank, but not cheap on quality. My gossamer cross crank (46/36 rings 110bcd) weighed in less than a Shimano 105 crank. Though it might not be a fair comparison since the 105 is a standard 53/39.

Just always keep an eye on the torque on the crank arm pinch bolts. I've had my crank arm almost fall off while riding before.
Old 02-02-08, 11:51 AM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
i prefer shimano. ymmv.