Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nobilette frames

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nobilette frames

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 12:14 AM
Psycle chic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobilette frames

Does anybody here have one? I hear to have a frame of his is coveted. Can anyone tell me why?

https://nobilettecycles.com/
Old 02-03-08, 07:19 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't ring a bell but looks like nice stuff. As a matter of fact, if a builders been around (ie. hasn't gone out of business yet) for 15 years, they're going to have some sort of following.
Old 02-03-08, 08:21 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Mark used to sponsor Ann Arbor Velo back in the day.
His old stuff was as good as you could get.
I can't imagine his newer stuff is any less than great. Unless he farmed it off shore.
Old 02-03-08, 11:23 PM
Psycle chic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the lack of replies I'm guessing nobody here has one.

I guess I'll have to do more homework. Thanks to those that have replied.
Old 09-09-13, 08:48 PM
ZiggyDawg

Bikes: Nobilette, Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked for Mark at the Cycle Cellar in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the 80's. He started making a "stock" frame by making simple geometry bikes 5 at a time. I raced one for 3 years and loved it! My wife owns a custom frame with a red/white cycelArt paint job. She is only 5' tall and the frame is a 49cm with a one piece custom head tube that incorporates the top tube and down tube into one lug connection. It's beautiful and has all the touring braze-ons for long rides. I have no idea what it would be worth in today's market but I bet it wouldn't be cheap. Mark was a no nonsense detail guy that was at his best when left to his own creative juices. He had some big money clients that would spend thousands to fly in and have Mark design a bike to fit their needs. Ours was a Campy and Shimano 600 equipped bike that should have cost us $3000 at the time.
Old 09-09-13, 09:01 PM
GP

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think he made frames for Rivendell in the early 2000s.
Old 09-09-13, 10:03 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZiggyDawg
I worked for Mark at the Cycle Cellar in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the 80's. He started making a "stock" frame by making simple geometry bikes 5 at a time. I raced one for 3 years and loved it! My wife owns a custom frame with a red/white cycelArt paint job. She is only 5' tall and the frame is a 49cm with a one piece custom head tube that incorporates the top tube and down tube into one lug connection. It's beautiful and has all the touring braze-ons for long rides. I have no idea what it would be worth in today's market but I bet it wouldn't be cheap. Mark was a no nonsense detail guy that was at his best when left to his own creative juices. He had some big money clients that would spend thousands to fly in and have Mark design a bike to fit their needs. Ours was a Campy and Shimano 600 equipped bike that should have cost us $3000 at the time.
i remember cycle cellar vividly as a kid growing up in ann arbor. i bought a pair of white leather christophe toe clips for my first road bike there, a 1985 fuji absolute. that place was very awe inspiring to a 12 year old kid. wanted one of that dudes frames ever since...
Old 09-10-13, 07:07 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Looks like in the five years since the original post that the economy did him in as well. Domain for sale.
Old 09-11-13, 11:33 AM
septacycles

Bikes: Too many to count alway changing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just got a Nobillete frame in on consignment at our shop. I was doing some research and I think Mark re-located to longmont co... they have a facebook page but it not very active. I'm trying to get a hold of him to learn more about the frame our customer wants to sell.
Old 09-11-13, 12:28 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe he just retired. hes got to be at least 70 by now.