Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do I improve my endurance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 03:37 PM
soma5
Hanging On

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A little history. I used to race a long time ago. I started riding last July after 12 years off the bike. After some 1500 miles, I find that I've recovered some of my speed and climbing ability. I ride with a group of relatively fast non-racers. At the beginning of a ride, I have no difficulty riding at well over 20 mph and pushing the pace higher. I'm not especially breathing hard. I can climb hills a lot better than I thought I'd be able to, but my w/kg is favorable only because i don't have very many kg (57). After about 30 miles into the ride, I seem to lose it. I'm not only not pushing the pace, I'm barely hanging on.

Here's my question. What is the best generally-accepted method of increasing my endurance? Is it intervals or more LSD? I'm just coming off nursing a sore knee, so it appears that I pushed a little too hard for the number of miles I have in my legs. Should I just get some more base miles before trying to train?

Thanks.

-soma5
Old 02-10-08, 03:46 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by soma5
A little history. I used to race a long time ago. I started riding last July after 12 years off the bike. After some 1500 miles, I find that I've recovered some of my speed and climbing ability. I ride with a group of relatively fast non-racers. At the beginning of a ride, I have no difficulty riding at well over 20 mph and pushing the pace higher. I'm not especially breathing hard. I can climb hills a lot better than I thought I'd be able to, but my w/kg is favorable only because i don't have very many kg (57). After about 30 miles into the ride, I seem to lose it. I'm not only not pushing the pace, I'm barely hanging on.

Here's my question. What is the best generally-accepted method of increasing my endurance? Is it intervals or more LSD? I'm just coming off nursing a sore knee, so it appears that I pushed a little too hard for the number of miles I have in my legs. Should I just get some more base miles before trying to train?

Thanks.

-soma5
Do you eat while you ride?
Old 02-10-08, 03:54 PM
soma5
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Do you eat while you ride?
Yes. Perhaps I should start earlier in the ride, like right away? I usually wait an hour or so.

-soma5
Old 02-10-08, 03:54 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did the same, starting back up in my early 40s.

It sounds like you need more base and more long endurance paced rides. 1500 miles isn't much especially if you're middle aged or older. Remember, if you have been off the bike for years, you're building back up from zero, not from what you were before. The older you are (and the less fit you let yourself get), the longer it takes, and the more rest you need. Your previous race experience means nothing for fitness, it only gives you some self-knowledge about how hard you can train, and means that you don't need to learn how to ride.
Old 02-10-08, 03:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Lots of long steady distance. Go ride some centuries or an early season brevet or two.
Old 02-10-08, 04:00 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the opposite of what you've been doing to train.

If you've been doing lots of intervals and tempo rides, do some long steady distance and vice versa.
Old 02-10-08, 04:01 PM
agilis
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Felt FC Custom.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Ride lots." - E. Merckx
Old 02-10-08, 05:17 PM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ride teh bike. Lots!
Old 02-10-08, 05:20 PM
elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Bikes: '07 Scott Speedster S30

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SushiJoe
Ride teh bike. Lots!
Yep.

You might be surprised by the results as well. I've just come off 3 months of pure endurance training, and I've gotten considerably faster. I would never have predicted that I would improve my top end speed just from endurance training, but there you go.
Old 02-10-08, 05:29 PM
soma5
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elgalad
Yep.

You might be surprised by the results as well. I've just come off 3 months of pure endurance training, and I've gotten considerably faster. I would never have predicted that I would improve my top end speed just from endurance training, but there you go.
What constitues "pure endurance training?" Is that what we used to call LSD or is it more intense than that? Does it include long intervals?

-soma5
Old 02-10-08, 05:31 PM
elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What constitues "pure endurance training?" Is that what we used to call LSD or is it more intense than that? Does it include long intervals?

-soma5
About 14-16 hours a week of LSD, but with 2-3 hours of tempo thrown in for good measure
Old 02-10-08, 05:39 PM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sorry, LSD? [I suck at acronyms.]
Old 02-10-08, 05:42 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
LSD - Long Steady Distances. Basicly if you want to increase your endurance you need to do more long rides.
Old 02-10-08, 05:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by elgalad
About 14-16 hours a week of LSD, but with 2-3 hours of tempo thrown in for good measure
Yes, like a ride of 7 or 8 hours on a Saturday, and another ride of 7 or 8 hours on a Sunday. Or if that's too much for you at this point, maybe a 5-6 hour ride on a Saturday, a 4-5 hour ride on a Sunday, and a 3-4 hour ride on a Wednesday.

You've got to be able to go the distance comfortably before you can go the distance fast.

Who is your local Randonneuring club? Hook up with them to ride some permanents and brevets. Lots of triathletes ride the permanents and brevets to build up their distance because we usually hold them starting ... well, now in some places, until about the middle of June. Road racers sometimes use the really early season randonneuring events to work on their endurance too.

Here's the club in Austin: https://www.hillcountryrandonneurs.com/

Last edited by Machka; 02-10-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-10-08, 05:49 PM
Brian6751

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0 (my first road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride hard. Throw up. Repeat.

Seriously though, work on your nutrition/ hydration including post ride. Sounds like your bonking.

I'm not a big fan of "base training". I get better results from shorter, more intense training. Hill repeats, very fast groups etc. New research backs up my findings.
Old 02-10-08, 06:32 PM
elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes, like a ride of 7 or 8 hours on a Saturday, and another ride of 7 or 8 hours on a Sunday. Or if that's too much for you at this point, maybe a 5-6 hour ride on a Saturday, a 4-5 hour ride on a Sunday, and a 3-4 hour ride on a Wednesday.
Actually, I don't do any rides longer than about 3 hours, because that's longer than any of the races I'll be doing during the season. However, it all depends on what your goals are - whether you want to race, or are more interested in centuries, etc.
Old 02-10-08, 06:54 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm suprised no one said it:

HTFU

Seriously... Maybe not try and go 20+ mph in the beginning on your rides.
Old 02-10-08, 07:37 PM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
LSD - Long Steady Distances. Basicly if you want to increase your endurance you need to do more long rides.
Then I need some LSD training, some short, hard interval training and everything in between!
Old 02-10-08, 07:38 PM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dumb question #2 - What is Randonneuring?
Old 02-10-08, 08:11 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I too have just returned to cycling (in September) after being away for about 12 years, and I raced as well. Not very scientific, but, it has been working for me: I just keep riding (almost every day now), listening to my body and making my way. For me, I'm good with just breakfast for a 30-35 mile Sunday morning ride. But, on a 50 mile ride like today (and we averaged around 18+ overall and probably 20+ for much of the second half of the ride), I also have a couple of snack bars along the way so I don't bonk/run out of juice.

I agree with Bontrager's sage advice: maybe take it down a bit early on -- unless, of course, you are going to get dropped. Even if you keep doing what you are doing, I would bet that you would hang on better each week.

I say ride, ride and ride.

You might find the Sunday morning pace of the Austin Flyers ride more to your liking at the moment; c'mon over and give it a try.
Old 02-10-08, 08:21 PM
roy harley
Fat Chance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-soma5

I call it Acid
Old 02-10-08, 08:23 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
What is the best generally-accepted method of increasing my endurance? Is it intervals or more LSD?
Actually it's a combination of the two. The general principle is: one hard day a week (i.e. ride at LT, or do intervals), several days at pace, including longer rides (below LT), and 1-2 rest days.

Long steady rides will build your slow-twitch muscles, but will do nothing for fast-twitch, which are used while climbing. One day of hard work per week will build cardio and general endurance much, much faster than just LSD. A study indicated that the difference between the two methods is noticeable in just 2 weeks.

Based on what you're saying, my guess is that either you aren't eating and drinking properly, and/or you're spending a lot of time riding anaerobically. You can't tell whether that's the case subjectively, you need an HRM. If you don't notice an improvement in a few weeks, I highly recommend you pick up an HRM and see if you're riding below, near, at or above LT.
Old 02-10-08, 08:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by SushiJoe
Dumb question #2 - What is Randonneuring?
Randonneuring is ... https://www.machka.net/rand.htm

And also:
https://www.machka.net/links.htm
https://www.rusa.org/
https://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/links/links.html
https://www.audax.org.au/index.asp
https://www.audax.uk.net/index2.htm
Old 02-10-08, 09:27 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God I can't wait for spring ..
Old 02-11-08, 06:55 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Actually it's a combination of the two. The general principle is: one hard day a week (i.e. ride at LT, or do intervals), several days at pace, including longer rides (below LT), and 1-2 rest days.

Long steady rides will build your slow-twitch muscles, but will do nothing for fast-twitch, which are used while climbing. One day of hard work per week will build cardio and general endurance much, much faster than just LSD. A study indicated that the difference between the two methods is noticeable in just 2 weeks.

Based on what you're saying, my guess is that either you aren't eating and drinking properly, and/or you're spending a lot of time riding anaerobically. You can't tell whether that's the case subjectively, you need an HRM. If you don't notice an improvement in a few weeks, I highly recommend you pick up an HRM and see if you're riding below, near, at or above LT.
Good stuff. I used to train with a HRM long ago and I worked with a coach who set up weekly training schedules for me. It was so long ago that I no longer have any of the materials he gave me and my old HRM is dead and corroded. I don't think I can ride anaerobically for up to an hour and a half. I think that maybe you're right in that I go anaerobic at some point before I hit the wall at about 30 miles. I will continue to do my hill repeats once a week, maybe work a little harder on those days, and ramp down the intensity and ramp up the length of my other rides for a while as others have suggested and see how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

-soma5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.