Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Ultimate 5 and mapcase

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 01:04 AM
RaDiOalarm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I'm planning to buy Ortlieb's Ultimate 5 plus L-sized handlebar bag. Because I have no possibility to examine it physically, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. The width in specifications (9.3 in.) is with side pockets or without?

2. Are those pockets large enough to fit PMR radio or something like that (large cellphone etc.)?

3. The optional mapcase - is it any good? I've tried a few products, and only serious cases (~40-50$) could withstand rain, all other stuff, especially with velcro locking, is for kids Also, what are the internal dimensions of this case?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-08, 05:43 AM
BikingTom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

From my own experience: If Ortlieb says it's waterproof, then it is waterproof, also the mapcase with velcro locking ;-)

Tom
Old 04-02-08, 07:07 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've got the Ultimate 4 bar bag and the map case is waterproof - I wouldn't be worried about getting my maps wet at all. I'm not 100% it is the same map case on the Ultimate 5, but as Biking Tom states above one thing Ortlieb does really well is make things waterproof.

I'd talk to Wayne @ www.thetouringstore.com he will answer your questions honestly and is very knowledgeable about Ortlieb products.
Old 04-02-08, 10:09 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RaDiOalarm
Hi. I'm planning to buy Ortlieb's Ultimate 5 plus L-sized handlebar bag. Because I have no possibility to examine it physically, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. The width in specifications (9.3 in.) is with side pockets or without?
The pockets are just mesh, they have no width when empty.

2. Are those pockets large enough to fit PMR radio or something like that (large cellphone etc.)?
I don't think I'd trust my cell phone in one, but my digicam I would (it's a little canon, I think a little larger than a business card in area, maybe half an inch thick). (camera cost more than phone but is smaller)

3. The optional mapcase - is it any good? I've tried a few products, and only serious cases (~40-50$) could withstand rain, all other stuff, especially with velcro locking, is for kids Also, what are the internal dimensions of this case?
I didn't get the mapcase but ortlieb knows waterproof.
Old 04-03-08, 03:43 PM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive got the ultimate 5 large to carry my slr camera... It works very well along with lowe pro nova 2 aw case which fits inside. The side bags arent very large and mesh so no waterproof there, I use them to store my extra aa batteries for the gps, two packs of 4 aa batteries barely fit in one bag.

Ive got both the gps and map cases, they're totally waterproof and although the plastic is thin it feels indestructible.

My only gripe with the case is the attachment system, the plastic that covers the steel cable that wraps around the stem of the bike breaks from the screw securing points and then the excess plastic gets stuck and makes taking the thing apart very difficult.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-06-08, 12:43 PM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
^^^^^ I have one and also think that the attachment system which uses two steel wires wrapped around the bars is poor. In order to tension the wires they use screws embedded in plastic sockets and they don't look at all durable. The original system was much superior in my opinion.
Old 04-06-08, 03:44 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I guess I have the "old" bag (bought on 2006). The "old" bag has one cable that does a figure eight type wrap around the handle bar. The mounting system works fine as long as you but the bag on and leave it on. The mount is solid. The problem is taking it off and putting it back on again. The cable becomes frayed after a couple of times, making it difficult to thread again.

The other complaint on the "old" bag is that it has a cheesy plastic insert on the inside of the lid. This insert is supposed to keep the lid ridged and prevent pooling of water on the lid. My plastic piece has long ago popped loose and no longer functions as intended.

The bag itself keeps things super dry.

The map case is good and will keep the maps dry but you have to close it properly. This can sometimes be a little cumbersome.
Old 04-13-08, 09:15 PM
daveIT
F*** Corporate Beer

Bikes: On-OneIROOlympiaYetiLeMondZanella

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely consider buying from Wayne at thetouringstore.com. He helped me out quite a bit and just helped me with some warranty issues (torn inner pocket on a Bike Packer Plus pannier).

I have the Ultimate 5 and the map case and haven't had anything get yet so far.
Old 12-21-09, 11:22 AM
sehsuan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just used my ultimate 5 classic (large) for a short bike trip and there was a a need for me to disassemble my bike (as well as my gf's) by taking off all panniers and handlebar bags, as well as both wheels for each bike before we could load it up onto the bus (the only one for the day!)

after i got off the bus about 200+km later, i encountered some moist soil mud that seemed to have flown towards the key slot for the mount - and now my key is both hard to insert and to draw out of. a pity that ortlieb doesn't have a system like abus' u-lock (mine's a granit x-plus 54) where there is a spring loaded dust shutter.
Old 12-21-09, 11:24 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gallon size zip lock bag it inside of the map case if your worries.