Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

(un)roll your own bar wrap?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 08:39 PM
sherief

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

So I've been looking around at various leather bar tapes and wraps and it strikes me... Would it be that outlandish and/or insane to just get a suitably sized long strip of leather and wrap it around my bars? Perhaps shellacking or something on the top to keep it looking nice, or some sort of glue on the bottom to hold it in place? Has anyone tried this? Would it be totally unreasonable? Or perhaps just stupid and cheap?
Old 04-15-08, 08:52 PM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by sherief
So I've been looking around at various leather bar tapes and wraps and it strikes me... Would it be that outlandish and/or insane to just get a suitably sized long strip of leather and wrap it around my bars? Perhaps shellacking or something on the top to keep it looking nice, or some sort of glue on the bottom to hold it in place? Has anyone tried this? Would it be totally unreasonable? Or perhaps just stupid and cheap?
No.
Old 04-15-08, 08:58 PM
special_k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a viable option.
I have thought about doing something like that. Using leather wraps for tennis racquets. but found that those aren't cheap either.
but I've read from somewhere that people have cut up thrift store leather jacket into strips and wrap their bars with them.
Old 04-15-08, 09:01 PM
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs

Bikes: 1989 Trek 330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an entire gray automotive grade cowhide that I've been wondering the same thing about. If I remember I might actually try it out this weekend.
Old 04-15-08, 09:07 PM
Otony
Kid Cassock

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Redline Counquest lashed up to an ExtraCycle, Trek 6700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now is spring clean up time in Sunnyvale (CA). I have been seeing a multitude of sorry @ssed couches waiting on the curb for pick up. Typically the back sides are in excellent shape, it is the front and cushions that are shot.

A sharp pocket knife or razor blade would fetch you enough leather to wrap a couple of bikes. Just be aware that some leather couches have vinyl backs, but it wouldn't be but a moments work to find out.

Just a hint from a guy who has wondered what he could do with that leather!
Old 04-15-08, 09:15 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,040 Times in 2,693 Posts
I cut up an old leather backpack into strips to make grips on my St. Etienne. I then coated the leather with a few layers of shellac. The result is a bit rustic, but it fits the bike, I think.

Neal

Old 04-15-08, 09:17 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
When the Inuits need a long continuous thong for this kind of thing, they skin the whole walrus around in a spiral starting at one end and working towards the other rather than taking the skin the usual way in a big round piece and then cutting the spiral out of that working from the perimeter to the center. It gives you a nice straight piece rather than a curved piece.
I've considered using one of those steering wheel covers from an auto parts store.
Old 04-16-08, 09:08 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Liked 1,134 Times in 838 Posts
I have the very stuff which was supplied by a CR list member (Tom, I forget his last name) who periodically commissions a family of Amish harness makers to cut the leather to his order. He usually gets it in 3 colors to match the Brooks saddle colors. It's very nice stuff and well finished with skived edges (those harness makers know their craft) and is very long...longer than most of what you'll ever be able to cut from leather cushions or jackets, and it's not the thin stretchy leather typical of garments and furniture. I wouldn't shellac leather, that seems like it defeats the purpose.
Old 04-16-08, 09:12 AM
amillhench
TXHC

Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
I stopped by a leather shop and picked up scrap pieces to recover a saddle. Depending on the leather it was around 5 or 6 bucks a half pound. You could do many, many bars with just that piece.
Old 04-16-08, 09:30 AM
nlerner

Liked 7,040 Times in 2,693 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I have the very stuff which was supplied by a CR list member (Tom, I forget his last name) who periodically commissions a family of Amish harness makers to cut the leather to his order. He usually gets it in 3 colors to match the Brooks saddle colors. It's very nice stuff and well finished with skived edges (those harness makers know their craft) and is very long...longer than most of what you'll ever be able to cut from leather cushions or jackets, and it's not the thin stretchy leather typical of garments and furniture. I wouldn't shellac leather, that seems like it defeats the purpose.
I shellaced the pieces I used for grips because the edges weren't skived. The shellac nicely covered that up.

Neal
Old 04-16-08, 11:22 AM
501breeze
Hello Portland

Bikes: 76 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 86 Pro Miyata, 80s Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend Tom did the thrift store leather jacket thing. It looked OK, except the seams kept the wrap from being as smooth as it could have. Some shellac would probably make it look alot better.
Old 04-16-08, 12:26 PM
sherief

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm want to at least try this. Will post fotos of results assuming I actually get the motivation to do anything.
Old 04-16-08, 12:29 PM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Sanders.