Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Too much slack in timing chain?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!
View Poll Results: Too much slack in timing chain?
Yes
97.06%
No
2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 08:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts

Is there too much slack in this timing chain?
And if so, does it need adjustment or replacement?
It's a couple years old and never adjusted, but always well cared for.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-22-08, 08:13 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It probably just needs to be adjusted via the eccentric. A close up of the timing ring teeth to the right of the crank arm (power stroke) would make it easier to tell just how worn the chain may be.

However, you can check chain wear the same way you would on your drive chain by using a ruler or chain checker. If the pin-to-pin distance over 12 links is more than 1/8" of inch past the 12" mark or beyond 75% worn on the chain checker, the chain should be replaced... unless you've decided to run the chain and chain rings until they're toast (10k or more), and then replace the whole shebang.
Old 04-22-08, 09:00 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Originally Posted by TandemGeek
It probably just needs to be adjusted via the eccentric. A close up of the timing ring teeth to the right of the crank arm (power stroke) would make it easier to tell just how worn the chain may be.
However, you can check chain wear the same way you would on your drive chain by using a ruler or chain checker. If the pin-to-pin distance over 12 links is more than 1/8" of inch past the 12" mark or beyond 75% worn on the chain checker, the chain should be replaced... unless you've decided to run the chain and chain rings until they're toast (10k or more), and then replace the whole shebang.
My camera is not too good at close up shots.

Old 04-23-08, 05:52 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The portions of the timing rings you've photographed don't look bad at all. However, I'd still go ahead and check the sync chain for wear with a ruler or chain checker. While you're at it, and based on what I'm seeing on your chain rings in the background, you might want to check the wear on your drive-side chain too.
Old 04-23-08, 10:43 AM
Possum Roadkill

Bikes: Giant TCR, Santana Team Scandium, Co-Motion Equator, Giant NRS Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed some of the chain checkers seem to not be so accurate. Usually it's the one's with moving parts. I've seen many that would say a chain was half worn out when it was new. The ones that are just a plate of metal that slide in between the links (one piece) seem to be more accurate to me. I prefer using either one of these or the ruler method.
Old 04-23-08, 05:03 PM
lopsided
Two at a time is more fun

Bikes: 2006 Burley Tosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced the timing chain on our tandem recently and found that about half of it had exceeded the wear indicator and the other half hadn't. I determined that it was beneficial to check the chain in numerous points along its' length.
Old 04-24-08, 03:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Thanks for the responses.
And I notice that 24 of you think there is too much slack in the timing chain and only ONE of you thinks there is NOT too much slack. Let's here from our loan ranger!

Old 04-25-08, 06:40 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Let's here from our loan ranger!
One can only hope he or she was being the contrarian or that they are out adjusting their sync chain tension.
Old 04-25-08, 11:03 AM
Baldy88

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird Carbon, 2014 Felt Edict 9, 2008 Cannondale Road Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One can only hope he or she was being the contrarian or that they are out adjusting their sync chain tension.
I was being a wise guy! I'm glad to see that no one else followed suit on my vote. I ride a single speed MTB and am a frequent chain tension checker.
Old 04-25-08, 02:38 PM
transam

Bikes: Cannondale RT1000; Santana Ti 700; Co-Motion Speedster, Co-Motion Cappuccino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think a timing chain as loose os yours would be in danger of jumping off, especially when riding at a higher cadence or hitting a bump. Has anyone had this happen?
Old 04-25-08, 05:04 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
D-r-o-o-p-y chain. Agree on adjusting eccentric a bit.
Looks loose enough to jump off in case of hitting a big bump or loading/unloading inside a vehicle.
Old 04-27-08, 01:50 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Once you find out how to adjust the Timing chain- You may find that you have a slack point and a tight spot in the chain. This can be adjusted out by setting the Timing chainrings to take it out- but providing no bent Bottom bracket crank or anything else bent- The easy cure is to change the chainrings to some better quality ones that run true and in a perfect circle. When I got the Tandem- I had the tight/slack in the chain and it took a lot of time to correct. Then on changing the timing chain- I replaced the rings with Middleburn rings and perfect from the time of fitting them. I Cannot visibly see or feel any variation in the chain tautness- even three years after putting the quality chain rings on.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-27-08, 03:06 PM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
I replaced the rings with Middleburn rings and perfect from the time of fitting them. I Cannot visibly see or feel any variation in the chain tautness- even three years after putting the quality chain rings on.
Never heard of them. Any links or pictures?
Old 04-27-08, 03:10 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.middleburn.co.uk/

MTBTandems.com just up the road from us is one of two US distributors. Having fondled the hardware extensively, I can confirm the quality, fit, and finish is top flight. Last time I checked they were still more dialed in to the off-road crowd, more so than the road bike community. Definitely one of better choices for an off-road tandem that needs a cross-over crankset.
Old 04-28-08, 09:03 AM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.middleburn.co.uk/

MTBTandems.com just up the road from us is one of two US distributors. Having fondled the hardware extensively, I can confirm the quality, fit, and finish is top flight. Last time I checked they were still more dialed in to the off-road crowd, more so than the road bike community. Definitely one of better choices for an off-road tandem that needs a cross-over crankset.
What specs I COULD find don't show any 130bcd rings.
Old 04-28-08, 09:37 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dvs cycles
What specs I COULD find don't show any 130bcd rings.
Send an email to alex@mtbtandems.com

He can give you the latest on what they're offering that might work for road tandems. Again, they're primarily an off-road component supplier.