Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

here's a rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 09:52 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's a rant

and this is its place too.
The road bike forum seems to have many threads that basically say "you are a ******bag because you ride with a triple crankset, I am a beast because I ride with a double"
If I had stopped growing in the 6th grade and weighed 150lbs like them I might be OK with a double, but I can't charge the steep hills of florida like them with their lightweight compact crankset with its 48-34, 12-28 gearing.
whiz on it! I'm glad I go in phases that keep me off of this forum for months at a time unless I have a technical question.
Old 05-06-08, 09:59 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well I don't know but all the 10,000 -12,000 ft centuries I've done have been on a standard double 39/25!

I don't think it matters though! I've had my *** kicked by guys on triples. I chuckle everytime this subject comes up. I once rode with a guy that bought a multimillion dollar fancy litewieght bike. We rode up thru a canyon and I waited at the top for him for quite sometime. He was so shocked that I was on a triple! I usually use my double for climing rides though only cause it's a Cannondale ans superstiff on the climbs!
Old 05-06-08, 10:01 PM
Jtgyk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz
The road bike forum seems to have many threads that basically say "you are a ******bag because you ride with a triple crankset, I am a beast because I ride with a double"
If I had stopped growing in the 6th grade and weighed 150lbs like them I might be OK with a double, but I can't charge the steep hills of florida like them with their lightweight compact crankset with its 48-34, 12-28 gearing.
whiz on it! I'm glad I go in phases that keep me off of this forum for months at a time unless I have a technical question.
Well...I guess I'm a ******bag too!
Me like the granny ring. I've only had to use it twice...but it REALLY came in handy!
3 is...of course...a Prime number.
Holy Trinity of Cranking!
Third Ring is Charm.
Three rings to make a Circus.
**** 'em if they cant take a joke!...........(3 times of course!)

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 05-06-08, 10:03 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Where on Earth do you get the idea we hate triples here in Clyde's? I ride bikes with triples by choice, for the lain reason I like having tractor gears for climbing. I'm not a Sports Car, I'm a truck!

We actually recommend triples here.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-06-08, 10:35 PM
zirger726
commuter

Bikes: Trek 520, Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned on my first tour not to make fun of any one else gear because if you do they will probably kick your butt on the road. My rule of thumb now is if its safe and isn't going to break down on you and you like to ride it it's a great bike. I ride a heavy trek 520 with a triple.
Old 05-06-08, 11:13 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,048 Posts
I ride a compact, but I am 2 ft above sea level and my 53/34 is all I need to handle the leg killing 110 ft bridge I ride. . Now if I was riding anywhere else, it would have been a triple.

Old 05-06-08, 11:30 PM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The road bike forum seems to have many threads that basically say "you are a ******bag because you ride with a triple crankset <<SNIP>>
I don't know why we seem to forget those insightful words of wisdom we all learned in grade-school: "It takes one to know one."

I agree with everyone else--if it rolls, gets you moving and you enjoy riding it then it's a great bike.
Old 05-06-08, 11:54 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I definitely like the triples, so I'm with ya there.

But, did you just say steep hills and Florida in the same sentence?
Old 05-07-08, 01:12 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only use 2 gears.
Old 05-07-08, 05:16 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by b_young

That's called sarcasm.

Old 05-07-08, 05:22 AM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait... why is a triple crankset considered bad?
Old 05-07-08, 05:26 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by ShadowGray
Wait... why is a triple crankset considered bad?
The same reason riding with mountain bike shoes on a road bike is considered bad, and riding with a visor on your helmet is considered bad. Roadies, AKA 'real cyclists', don't use them.

Old 05-07-08, 06:56 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's because they are hungry. People with that mind set would do well with a sandwich and a kick in the lycra. Like mama always said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your damn mouth shut".

So if you don't mind me asking, why is the clyde section the place for your rant? Nobody likes to made fun of but if someone on the internet of all places gets to you maybe you aught to grow some thicker skin.
Old 05-07-08, 06:57 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Roadies, AKA 'real cyclists', don't use them.
Good thing I'm content with being a fake cyclist .
Old 05-07-08, 07:01 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by bautieri
Me too!

Old 05-07-08, 07:47 AM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b_young

Try Mt. Dora in central Florida!
Old 05-07-08, 10:28 AM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...I hate to admit it, but I just don't like triples. Not because I'm one of those elite roadie types, but because I chew up chains and have to dink around with the derailures too often with a triple. Hell, I barely use the smaller ring on my 52/42 vintage road bike, except for on hills over 8% grade. But that is not because I go fast, either. I just have my technique down so that I pedal below 60 rpm's with no problem (move a lot - sit, stand, forward, back, etc.).

My commuter has a triple, it is also a vintage mountain bike (1994 Cannondale M300). It is fine for commuting, but the gears drive me nuts whenever take it out on longer rides. No matter how much I adjust them, there is rubbing and grinding when the chain gets on one extreme end of the rear cassette.

It is not that I don't like the easy gears on a triple, though. The bike that I have on lay-away has a compact double, with gearing that is very comparable with most triple-cranks. But the gears are easier to adjust, work faster and cleaner, etc. That said...I almost got a triple, but got a good deal on the compact. It could have gone either way.

Old 05-07-08, 12:00 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Okay, so who's the biggest d-bag?

I ride with a triple, mountain SPDs, polypro running shirt, an eyeglass mirror, and a CamelBak. Who can top that?
Old 05-07-08, 01:58 PM
shog

Bikes: Jamis XLT 3.0, Trek 1500, Gary Fisher X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just smile - look them up and down and drop them . Seriously worry less ride more. If I worried what other people thought about me I probably wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Shog
Old 05-07-08, 02:37 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zpl
Okay, so who's the biggest d-bag?

I ride with a triple, mountain SPDs, polypro running shirt, an eyeglass mirror, and a CamelBak. Who can top that?
Compact double(34/48) to a mountain (11-32) cassette, mountain SPD shoes, helmet with a visor AND a mirror on it, and a rack mounted handlebar bag.
Old 05-07-08, 02:40 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Threads dissing other forums are verging on crap-agitating, if you ask me. Every forum anywhere on the world wide web, this one included, has its in group and its out group, its prevailing customs and ways of getting along, so, y'know...look in the mirror, this forum isn't perfect either. People gravitate to this or that forum because of their interests and because they want to hang with like-minded people. Don't get your gel-padded bike shorts in a bunch because people on some other forum don't have minds like yours.
Old 05-07-08, 02:53 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a compact double here in Colorado. 50/34x12/27. Nothing wrong with triples at all! In fact, many many times I wish I had one! But the cost of changing over to a triple prohibits is. Much less buying a new bike...

When riding with my girlfriend, she is always telling me I need to spin instead of mash. I tell her that if I had a triple, like hers, I would! I run out of gears way to fast...LOL
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 05-07-08, 04:22 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
The same reason riding with mountain bike shoes on a road bike is considered bad, and riding with a visor on your helmet is considered bad. Roadies, AKA 'real cyclists', don't use them.
That's not true! I did a ride with a group of guys, one was RAELLY fast. He climbed the 4,000 ft climb like a goat. When I got to the top, he complimented my ride (I was in shape back then). I said I did ok for a rec rider knowing he was a top notch racer. I pointed out that I rode in mtb shoes, that's how serious I wasn't!

He pointed down and sure enough, he was wearing MTB shoes too!...AND I gaurantee this guy would rip a new none on 99.9% of the riders in the Road forum!
Old 05-07-08, 05:23 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
A group of 76 clydes (almost all of us with triples) did manage to ride on average over 1319 miles last year for a total of 100288.2 miles (from spinner Saturday) under all kinds of conditions, with an average weight of over 200lbs, on bikes ranging from 35 year old heavy steel road bikes to heavy aluminum MTB's.

So I want to ask the guys who ride their plastic wonder bikes 20 miles a year after driving them around on back of the SUV, just who is the "real" cyclist again?
Old 05-07-08, 05:59 PM
Erik B

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just gotta say I think some of you take things spouted on the Algore tubez a little to seriously.

Just ride your bike, if you need or want a triple use it. If not that's fine as well. We'll all get where we are going in the end so at least have some fun doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.