Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Freeway Bicycling

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Freeway Bicycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 10:00 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Freeway Bicycling

This is a great video of some cyclists riding their bikes on a couple of the gridlocked freeways here in Los Angeles. If you thought the IPOD debates got people going, this one should be great entertainment. Also, in full disclosure, I have nothing to do with this group, but I support what they're doing 100%. I left my critical mass days behind in Seattle and my commute isn't half bad by Los Angeles standards.
It definitely says something about our transportation system when you can bike along a freeway faster than auto traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NLmiuyLa98

Let the games begin.
Old 05-08-08, 10:20 PM
solbrothers
Banned.

Bikes: Cinelli Mash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jeez!! that's crazy! props to him for being that brave lol

this is scary too!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MYw...eature=related
Old 05-08-08, 10:31 PM
Angus37
Master of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome. Those guys are tough.
Old 05-08-08, 10:46 PM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wusses. This kicks their butt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsB71xGRA0

Last edited by StrangeWill; 05-10-08 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-09-08, 09:51 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I don't see anything brave, crazy or tough in that video. It doesn't take any of those to filter thru near stopped traffic.

Al
Old 05-09-08, 10:58 AM
Geonz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have to agree that it doesn't take physical bravery to weave 'round congested traffic, but it takes mental ones to go against habit. I think people don't think enough about just how congested their lives are, and seeing things like this can shake up their models of the universe a bit... next thing to do is to have an HOV-only lane on the left, and a "bicycle only" lane ... hmmm... where Of course it would only be open to bicycles during rush hour, just like the HOV stuff only applies then.
Old 05-09-08, 12:21 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
next thing to do is to have an HOV-only lane on the left, and a "bicycle only" lane ... hmmm... where

Some guy tried it yesterday here in Seattle.

https://www.komotv.com/news/local/18779919.html
Old 05-09-08, 09:51 PM
buzzman
----

Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NLmiuyLa98

_______________________the fine line between genius and madness________________________________

https://www.komotv.com/news/local/18779919.html
Old 05-09-08, 10:15 PM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ugh, I've ridden on some freeways when doing some prep rides for some upcoming long tours - and this one group - and I'll be doing it again next month for 125 miles - and by the time we get up to the city - it's OF COURSE, as always Friday afternoon and rush hour traffic. Oh how I hate it.

However, we all ride single file and safe and then at one certain point the leader of the group shouts and points left - oh, OK - so we now have to cross 4 lanes of traffic to take a left handed exit. Wow, what a nice device. Oh and THANKS GARY!! (our leader for that ride).

BUT we do it as safe as possible. Freeways can be really daunting! Especially if the shoulder is about a foot of "pavement" that rots off to a 3 plus inch drop off to loose pebble or worse...

What the rider in the video was doing was unsafe and unwise - and just reinforced drivers why "bicyclists" do not adhere to any rules of the road no matter how hard some of us try and speak it.
Old 05-09-08, 10:23 PM
grrlyrida
pretty n pink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have brass ones

Originally Posted by Geonz
I'd have to agree that it doesn't take physical bravery to weave 'round congested traffic, but it takes mental ones to go against habit. I think people don't think enough about just how congested their lives are, and seeing things like this can shake up their models of the universe a bit... next thing to do is to have an HOV-only lane on the left, and a "bicycle only" lane ... hmmm... where Of course it would only be open to bicycles during rush hour, just like the HOV stuff only applies then.
+1,000,000 Just that they went on the freeway with Angelenos constantly changing lanes to move to a lane that's moving "faster" is simply amazing. I've never seen a bike on the freeways around here. I would have to pick up my jaw if I saw that while stuck in traffic. If only they had a bike hov lane...
Old 05-09-08, 10:27 PM
grrlyrida
pretty n pink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very illegal

What the rider in the video was doing was unsafe and unwise - and just reinforced drivers why "bicyclists" do not adhere to any rules of the road no matter how hard some of us try and speak it. [/QUOTE]

and very illegal. We can't ride on any freeways in CA.
Old 05-09-08, 10:31 PM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grrlyrida
What the rider in the video was doing was unsafe and unwise - and just reinforced drivers why "bicyclists" do not adhere to any rules of the road no matter how hard some of us try and speak it.

and very illegal. We can't ride on any freeways in CA.
+1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-08, 06:02 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We did that a few times last summer at rush hour on Fridays, called it the 'parking lot ride'. We do the 'hellway' every sunday night on zoobomb. I've been on CM freeway rides before too. most of the interstate system in Oregon is open to bikes, except in PDX city limits and a short stretch in Medford.

you go guys!

Old 05-10-08, 07:20 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and very illegal. We can't ride on any freeways in CA.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true.

I can't be bothered to look up the actual cite, but law is written such that if there is no other reasonable route, to get where you're going, then cyclists can utilize the freeway (riding on the shoulder).

I've done it a few times, on a short stretch of the 15 Freeway, north of Devore. Once you get to the end of Old Rt. 66, at Cleghorn, there is no way other than the 15 to get to the 138 turn-off to Wrightwood. It's perfectly legal for bicycles to ride that stretch of freeway.

Of course that doesn't make what these riders were doing legal...
Old 05-10-08, 07:50 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and very illegal. We can't ride on any freeways in CA.[/QUOTE]

It's true bikes can't ride on freeways in LA, but motorcycles split lanes on gridlocked freeways all the time. The difference between a bicycle and a motorcycle in this situation isn't much.
Old 05-10-08, 08:22 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Treespeed
This is a great video of some cyclists riding their bikes on a couple of the gridlocked freeways here in Los Angeles.

Here in Hotlanta, you could walk faster than freeway traffic when it gets locked up.

(a no-brainer why I'd rather bike it than drive my wife's commute southbound through Spaghetti Junction at 4:15)
Old 05-14-08, 02:18 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Here's a blog article about the aforementioned ride, with pics.