Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Attn: Lurkers. Join Us!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 11:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts

Currently Active Users
156 (72 members & 84 guests)

84 guests? I think this cycle commuting thing might be catching on. Whether it's $4 gasoline, or perhaps they shut down your normal freeway route to work, or you're looking to get in shape for the summer, or you want to stick it to the House of Faud: welcome to bike commuting.

So, tell us a little about yourselves.
Old 06-03-08, 11:17 AM
zoobaby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did A bit about me can be found here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=425448
Old 06-03-08, 11:19 AM
SegFault
BOFH

Bikes: Many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lurk, lurk...
Old 06-03-08, 11:36 AM
Flamadiddle

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll bite...I started biking to work last month for Bike to Work Month here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and like many others have become addicted! I love the increased exercise I'm getting, reduced stress on days that I ride, and overall "combatting global warming" good feeling. My name's Matt and I live in El Cerrito, CA (East Bay, just north of Berkeley) with my wife. My commute is only 6 miles one-way and I can't believe it's taken me this long (I've been living in El Cerrito for nearly 4 years) to start doing it!

I ride a yellow 2000 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS that I enjoy riding, but of course am now looking for ways to make it a bit lighter and comfortable for my commute, as I hardly ever take it off road (I haven't gotten into mountain biking like I thought I would when I first got it). I don't think I'll ever get rid of it (it is my first adult bike, after all), but I'm definitely getting the itch to get an additional road or commuter bike that will go faster one of these days when I get a healthy chunk of change. In the meantime, I plan on upgrading components when I need to (first step is to upgrade my stem for a more comfortable riding position) and keeping my Hardrock as a workhorse and the occasional fire trail ride. Needless to say, I've already found many helpful opinions on bikes, components, bike conversions, etc. on this very forum.

Also just upgraded to clipless pedals this weekend and love 'em! Haven't fallen yet after a ride into Berkeley on Saturday and this morning's commute...hopefully that trend will continue. ;-)
Old 06-03-08, 12:02 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamadiddle
....I ride a yellow 2000 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS that I enjoy riding, but of course am now looking for ways to make it a bit lighter and comfortable for my commute, as I hardly ever take it off road (I haven't gotten into mountain biking like I thought I would when I first got it). I don't think I'll ever get rid of it (it is my first adult bike, after all), but I'm definitely getting the itch to get an additional road or commuter bike that will go faster one of these days when I get a healthy chunk of change. In the meantime, I plan on upgrading components when I need to (first step is to upgrade my stem for a more comfortable riding position) and keeping my Hardrock as a workhorse and the occasional fire trail ride. Needless to say, I've already found many helpful opinions on bikes, components, bike conversions, etc. on this very forum.

Also just upgraded to clipless pedals this weekend and love 'em! Haven't fallen yet after a ride into Berkeley on Saturday and this morning's commute...hopefully that trend will continue. ;-)
Dude! That is the EXACT same bike I bought when I started back into riding years ago. I bought it for the same reasons you did and had the same experience--I never took it offroad. I used it for the first 2 years of my commuting here.

When I started commuting I already had a rack and clipless pedals, so those upgrades were taken care of. Thus my first upgrade for commuting was to get rid of those knobby tired and go to slicks. Since you almost never ride offroad anyway you won't miss 'em, and it's a pretty cheap upgrade you'll really appreciate. Added bonus: if you're pretty good at changing a tire--and if you're going to commute a lot, you should make sure you are--you can easily put the knobbies back on if you're going offroad with friends.

I no longer use that HR for commuting. Last summer I bought a Fuji Touring at Performance Bike. It's a cheap bike and it's a pretty good commuter. It's no lightweight either, but compared to the HR it doesn't weigh anything at all. The HR is now my recreational bike--I removed the rack and hooked up a hitch so I can take The Kid for rides in her trailer.

Have fun commuting out there!
Old 06-03-08, 12:32 PM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe they're skeert...
Old 06-03-08, 12:38 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
We also give out free relationship advice... just ask that one dude in the other thread and his law student g/f.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 06-03-08, 12:57 PM
Flamadiddle

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Itsjustb
Dude! That is the EXACT same bike I bought when I started back into riding years ago. I bought it for the same reasons you did and had the same experience--I never took it offroad. I used it for the first 2 years of my commuting here.

When I started commuting I already had a rack and clipless pedals, so those upgrades were taken care of. Thus my first upgrade for commuting was to get rid of those knobby tired and go to slicks. Since you almost never ride offroad anyway you won't miss 'em, and it's a pretty cheap upgrade you'll really appreciate. Added bonus: if you're pretty good at changing a tire--and if you're going to commute a lot, you should make sure you are--you can easily put the knobbies back on if you're going offroad with friends.

I no longer use that HR for commuting. Last summer I bought a Fuji Touring at Performance Bike. It's a cheap bike and it's a pretty good commuter. It's no lightweight either, but compared to the HR it doesn't weigh anything at all. The HR is now my recreational bike--I removed the rack and hooked up a hitch so I can take The Kid for rides in her trailer.

Have fun commuting out there!
Haha, what a coincidence! Yeah, I forgot to mention that I obtained some Continental Gorilla semi-slicks a few years ago for the pavement and they definitely make a difference compared to the default knobbies (Specialized All Condition, I believe). I've used them a LOT more than I have the knobbies. I'm actually considering buying a new set of rims from a co-worker to put the knobbies on so I can simply switch out the wheels if I ever want to do a trail ride. Up until now whenever I've wanted to switch tires I have to go through the whole "deinflate tube/get tire off rim/fit tire and tube on rim/reinflate tube" process, which becomes a PITA after a few times.
Old 06-03-08, 01:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
We also give out free relationship advice... just ask that one dude in the other thread and his law student g/f.
Yeah, that thread might be enough to scare the newbies off....
Old 06-03-08, 01:22 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by zoobaby
Just did A bit about me can be found here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=425448
Ooh, Portland. Nice! I was just wearing my River City Cycles shop jersey the other day. Love that town.
Old 06-03-08, 02:13 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamadiddle
I'll bite...I started biking to work last month for Bike to Work Month here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and like many others have become addicted!
That brings up a fun question - how many people started bike commuting because of bike to work week? I started commuting during last year's, and haven't stopped. Anybody else?
Old 06-03-08, 02:35 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, and don't forget the medical advice.
Old 06-03-08, 02:40 PM
JohnWitherspoon

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX; Rans Fusion; Whizwheels 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. I'll bite too. I have ridden bikes for some time but never commuted. I started commuting last week because it seemed like it would be fun and a way to get exercise without spending too much time away from my wife. So far, I love it.

My bike is a RANS Fusion crank forward bike. The "semi-recumbent" geometry makes puting my feet down at stops a snap. It also means no butt, wrist, or neck pain. Very relaxing and therapeutic.

I am the President of a small insurance company and am not trying to save the planet. I'm just trying to enjoy life a little more. My employees think I am nuts, but several are intrigued by my commuting by bicycle. At 59 years of age and carrying plenty of extra weight, I'm not out to impress anyone.

The commute is 15 miles round trip which takes me only about a 1/2 hour longer than driving, and leaves my evenings free with my wife.

This is a LOT of fun
Old 06-03-08, 02:43 PM
goheels681

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I just joined. I started thinking about commuting after I read about Bike to Work week. I've yet to start, since I haven't ridden for a few years. I'm 17, so I'd still be commuting to high school at 7:30am and back home often late around 8pm. I'm going to use the summer to get back into shape before I try the (gasp!) 4.5 mile commute, haha.

The only other downside I can think of is I play alto sax in band, and that might prove slightly difficult to transport back and forth...No I don't have money for an xtracycle, haha.

Also, I'd be riding a Mongoose Wired something or other department store bike I got around 13 or 14. This may not be so easy.
Old 06-03-08, 03:02 PM
maddraven

Bikes: jamis coda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I'll bite too. Usually lurk here.

Been biking to work since August 2004. Pretty much every day except hard rain in am, ice on trail, or travel for work. 17 miles round trip on capital crescent trail from Bethesda MD to downtown DC every day.

I like commuting -- fresh air, exercise, low stress, etc.

Only downside for me is that I've put on 60 pounds since I took up biking into work in 2004. I know the weight gain and the biking are unrelated as a matter of logic, math, and science but . . . if my rear rim cracks under the strain, I might take my time getting it fixed so that I can lose the weight.
Old 06-03-08, 03:10 PM
stiggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i joined i joined

haha 3rd post
Old 06-03-08, 03:12 PM
GoldIngot

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm a lurker too.

I've been bike riding for about 8 years but never really commuted until recently. I have a 40 mile round trip so I try to bike commute 2 full times each week. One day I ride to and from but then I'll drive the next day and ride home so I can ride back in the morning then drive home. I'm trying to incorporate biking more in my daily routines as well since most of the places I drive to from home are <5 miles away. The biggest hurdle has been to keep the bike handy and not stowed away. The fact that Memphis is ranked as one of the least bike-friendly cities doesn't help either.
Old 06-03-08, 03:16 PM
KZBrian

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Kris Holm/Nimbus 29, Nimbus Eclipse

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I just joined yesterday. I am a daily commuter and avid recreational biker. I ride a 1987 Cannondale road bike that still works great.
I'm commuting because I like to.

Brian
Old 06-03-08, 03:17 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by KZBrian
I just joined yesterday. I am a daily commuter and avid recreational biker. I ride a 1987 Cannondale road bike that still works great.
I'm commuting because I like to.

Brian
Best reason ever.
Old 06-03-08, 03:28 PM
HAL 8000
mmm new bike smell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings all!
Actually, I quit lurking last week, I just hadn't posted yet (work has been insane lately, haven't had much 'net time the past few weeks). Been lurking since last fall, started commuting a bit back then, been commuting regularly since 3rd week of march. Gotta' go, many more posts to follow. Eventually. TTFN
Old 06-03-08, 04:02 PM
Scubachisteve
Super Senior Member

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Roubaix, 1988 Peugeot Monaco; 1985 Peugeot PH501

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YEP, AND WE'LL EVEN USE CAPS TO ENFORCE OUR POINT.
Old 06-03-08, 04:08 PM
Bike4More
Fixed Commuter

Bikes: Roads Moutains Fixed Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started Jan 7th have not stopped since. Average 4 days per week. Sadly my job requires some driving. I am figuring out how to get out of it daily. Not the job just the driving.

10 mile round trip commute. Fixed gear, rear rack, trunk bag, smile on face.
My bike commuting blog www.bike4more.com
Old 06-03-08, 05:08 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I started bicycling for exercise about 2 1/2 years ago, and didn't realize I'd started commuting when I started bicycling over to the gf's for the weekend about 1 1/2 years ago. I just liked the exercise, the freedom, and being able to get somewhere without the cage. I rode to work the last 3 Thursdays, and am trying to figure out how to make more trips this way - especially when the weather turns hot during the summer. This forum has helped me get this far, I'm sure the answers out there somewhere.

Last edited by no motor?; 06-03-08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 05:51 PM
aidanpryde18
Full of Love and Meatloaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I have been a member for a while, just never really felt like I had a good enough reason to post.

I am trying to get into commuting. I thought about it last summer, but a wedding and a move got in the way. Now I am trying to start again.

The trouble that I am having is finding a decent commuter bike for $300. Currently I am looking at a Diamondback Wildwood, or a nicer X-mart bike, if that is possible. I have found a Schwinn 700c with Shimano quick-fire shifters, and what looks to be nice components and a solid frame for $200. I have tried searching Craigslist, but most of the bikes in my area, Louisville, KY, are either cheap bmx/MTN bikes, or $600+ used road bikes.

The other problem that I have is that I am 6'0" and I measured my standover height in the shoes that I would ride in and it came to about 27.5". I am having trouble finding a bike that is short enough to keep me from racking myself when I stand over it, but long enough for it to be comfortable to ride.

I will probably spend this summer doing smaller rides to get back into shape, as I am a 260 lb. smoker. If all goes well, I will try to commute a little bit this fall and start regularly next year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-08, 06:10 PM
gmule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly lurk because everything that needs to be said is usually said.
A little bit about myself. I am into my 3rd year commuting. I do 30 miles a day round trip. I started so that I could get into better shape. Now I reap the bennefits of not buying gas and getting in shape at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.