Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

anyone ride after drinking alcohol?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 09:57 AM
bikevic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's not illegal to ride after drinking i reckon.

but it's quite dangerous.
Anyone doing that?
Old 06-07-08, 10:06 AM
hxzero
Needs to Ride More

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure you can get a BUI in some places.

I've heard of people getting them around here, going to a party and then wobbling down the street crashing into things on their bike.
Old 06-07-08, 10:15 AM
deadforkinglast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a bad idea, but I end up doing it a little too often. Been trying to make an effort to drink much less when I know I'll be riding home.
Old 06-07-08, 10:30 AM
Pennywize
Street Pharmacist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive done it a few times.. yeah it's illegal.. but its more incognito than drinking and driving a car.. so chances are you wont get a ticket for it (but you never know!!). It's fun but stupid wear a helmet!
Old 06-07-08, 10:31 AM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In Oregon, at least, there's no distinction between a DUII (driving under the influence of intoxicants) with a car vs. a bike. They lead to the same penalties, etc.

That said, I'll never drive a car after drinking, not even a sip (been there, done arrested), but I'll get on my bike after a drink or two max. (Edit: by the way, my attitudes toward drinking and driving has very little to do with the legal ramifications any more.)
Old 06-07-08, 10:32 AM
bape
the manbearpig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can lose your driver's licence in germany when you're riding drunk.but i do it nonetheless.
Old 06-07-08, 10:36 AM
SuperMario5459

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A kid at my college got a DUI for riding a unicycle drunk so I imagine the same goes for bikes.
Old 06-07-08, 10:36 AM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i always ride to and from the bar, granted i'm not one to get tanked though. i know it can be dangerous to me, but i'm okay with that, as long as i'm not endangering anyone else.

i'm usually going out farther than i want to walk, i'm not going to pay a cab to pollute my @ss home, and, frankly, **** you if you ever drive home after a night of drinking.

oh, and public trans in baltimore sucks, though it's a good way to get home if the infrastructure is good in your city.
Old 06-07-08, 10:48 AM
dzinehaus
uberNEWB

Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
illegal. period. its a DUI. Check your vehicle laws / drivers handbooks which most likely recognize a bike as a road vehicle... Therefore...no matter the vehicle as long as its considered a road vehicle you can get a DUI for it.
Old 06-07-08, 11:04 AM
concord k
Tasty!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been hit before after having a few drinks. Sobered the **** up... fast.
Old 06-07-08, 11:04 AM
ebawho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bape
you can lose your driver's licence in germany when you're riding drunk.but i do it nonetheless.
i dont think you lose it on your first offence, you just get points on your licence, but im not so sure because i dont have a licence...

and whenever im out somewhere drinking i ride home drunk, there is no other way to get home. sure its kind of risky, but ive never had a problem, i take deserted bike lanes the whole way, and anytime im even near a street theres pretty much no one there because my town is pretty small and no one is out and a bout at 3-5am.
Old 06-07-08, 12:20 PM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did it once - made me feel like ****: headache and can't breathe properly.
Old 06-07-08, 12:32 PM
gharding
Señor Member

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Sirrus, KHS Solo SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. Pretty regularly, I guess. Very rarely in Manhattan, though. Brooklyn is an entirely different story. I'm usually drunk when I have to haul ass through Bed Stuy.

However, I got pulled over on my bike in Central Park while drunk. At 1:30am. I got a summons for trespassing and disobeying a sign. Didn't even notice my lack of sobriety.
Old 06-07-08, 12:32 PM
kjohnnytarr
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride drunk better than I walk drunk.

So yeah, all the time.
Old 06-07-08, 12:39 PM
dmckean44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride drunk but I might have a few beers and then go out for ride.
Old 06-07-08, 01:00 PM
dee-vee
vegan powered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try not to ride when I am drunk. I ride all the time while baked though. Ah well.
Old 06-07-08, 01:10 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjohnnytarr
I ride drunk better than I walk drunk.

So yeah, all the time.
Co-signed. I can ride in a straight line long after I can't walk in a straight one!

I love me some drunk riding. However, it is very dangerous and irresponsible, not to mention illegal in some states. It's fun as hell though... no pain in my legs for the win. But lights are mandatory for this kind of thing..
Old 06-07-08, 01:32 PM
Whatsisname

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all the time

sometimes I do the tour de franzia: down a 3 or 5 liter box of wine then haul ass around.
Old 06-07-08, 01:35 PM
Whatsisname

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depends on the country/state

In minnesota it's not illegal because DUI's have to be with 'motor vehicles'. You can't get a DUI on a bike, you can on a horse though.

Originally Posted by dzinehaus
illegal. period. its a DUI. Check your vehicle laws / drivers handbooks which most likely recognize a bike as a road vehicle... Therefore...no matter the vehicle as long as its considered a road vehicle you can get a DUI for it.
Old 06-07-08, 01:52 PM
rduenas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It helps to ride home at like 3-4 when everything has closed by 2 and no one's really around.

I love climbing or sprinting while drunk, you don't feel it at all.
Old 06-07-08, 01:53 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i feel like you have a much higher rate of success talking yourself out of a dui while on a bike by saying "i didn't want to risk drinking and driving, so i biked" than you'd ever have vice versa. but really when i drink i don't go anywhere for an hour, and i'm pretty sure that i never drink more than would put me over a bac of .08 if measured an hour after i've drunk. if i'm having more than a few i don't leave where i'm doing it. i'd at least wait it out to sober up before i went riding, though i have rode with a light buzz before and it's fun as hell.
Old 06-07-08, 02:00 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
you know, the answer to this question is probably going to make some people righteous and other people pissed off.

riding drunk isn't that much different than riding when very tired. of course this depends on what you're like when you're drunk, and when you're tired.

or, for that matter, when you're on adrenaline.l

everybody should know how their body reacts to different stimuli, and ride safely, accordingly.
Old 06-07-08, 02:10 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Many places riding a bike under the influence is the same as if driving a car. yes, we sometimes have one beer with a burrito at our group lunch stop. one beer, no problem. Cuts the pain a little, and offers plenty of carbs.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 06-07-08, 02:10 PM
cizzlak

Bikes: 1994 Trek 1200, 1984 Raleigh Prestige, 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, custom 531 track, and a bunch of tinker bikes of all type

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a friend thought it would be tight to try and skid down a giant hill while he was wasted once. we had done it millions of times before while _not_ wasted (not necessarily sober, though). anyway, he overzealously pulled up on his leading foot, popped out of his strap and proceeded to ride his bike elbows and knee first like a toboggan down the hill at least 20 yards. of course he didn't feel it until the next day, when the hangover and the pain both kicked in simultaneously. he doesn't do that anymore. i think that was the time he broke his carbon fork on the jamis, but maybe that was another time...

and yes, it was hard not to laugh.
Old 06-07-08, 02:14 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
you know, the answer to this question is probably going to make some people righteous and other people pissed off.

riding drunk isn't that much different than riding when very tired. of course this depends on what you're like when you're drunk, and when you're tired.

or, for that matter, when you're on adrenaline.l

everybody should know how their body reacts to different stimuli, and ride safely, accordingly.
Doesn't piss me off at all... on the mornings when I just woke up and am on the bike literally 5 minutes after getting out of bed because I have to go to class, I feel like a liability to myself and others big time, yet I'm completely obeying the law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.