Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Scott CR1 and Kysrium SL wheels?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 07:57 PM
danrhiggins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My son as a Scott CR1 I bought for him about 4 months ago. It came with Shimano 105 11-22 rear and a compact front. I gave him a pair of '08 Kysrium SL wheels to put on it. At the same time he is upgrading to a 12-27 cassette. But when trying to put this all together his LBS could not get the spacing right. When in his large chain ring and 12 cog the chain was rubbing against the #13 cog. His LBS suggested it might be a problem with the Scott CR1 frame?

BTW, he put that cassette on the stock Mavic Aksyum (probably spelled that wrong) and it appears to work just fine.

Is there some sort of problem with Scott CR1 frames and Kysrium SL wheels?
Old 07-05-08, 08:04 PM
kycycler

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This setup should work. I wonder if the spacer under the cassette is missing?
Old 07-05-08, 08:33 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it sounds like they need to adjust the high limit screw and release a little cable tension on the rear derailleur to accommodate for the slightly wider hub/narrower drive side axle spacer of the Ksyrium SLs. the freehub bodies should be the same dimensions, the axle spacing is the same (130mm), but the flanges of the SLs are either farther apart, or just plain wider than the aksiums due to the wider zicral spokes of the SLs. they're also going to have to run the low limit screw in a bit to prevent the chain from jumping over the large cog and into the spokes.

and just to be sure, there should be a wider 2mm-ish ksyrium spacer, and a thinner 1mm-ish shimano 10-speed spacer behind the cassette (assuming this is a 10 speed setup, if it's not, then you just need the ksyrium spacer).
Old 07-06-08, 09:47 AM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. Not sure of the issue but the combination should fly.
Old 07-06-08, 03:59 PM
danrhiggins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the insights! Very helpful. We also decided to use a different LBS where I have far more confidence in their knowledge and work. They have not looked it all over yet but at first glance they were making some of the same suggestions around spacing and chain tension. Possibly needing to go to a longer chain due to the move from the 11-22 to the 12-27. I forwarded your comments.

Thanks again! I'll follow up one more time with how all of this is resolved. And we fully expect that my son will be able to start hammering those Colorado mountain passes next weekend!