Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wrinkled Clothing?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Wrinkled Clothing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 02:29 AM
tpitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrinkled Clothing?

I have a problem with my spare clothing getting wrinkled in my back pack, is there any way to solve this? i've tried folding the clothes many different way but to no avail.
Old 07-08-08, 02:50 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess it depends where you work and what you are expected to wear. Me I fold mine up and then put in a plastic bag in case of rain, but then I'm allowed to wear what I want really. Some commuters I heard of who have to wear suits and shirts etc go in once a week to work and drop of a weeks worth of clothing.

It also depends on the type of commute you do so throw put some more details and I'm sure someone here will have the answer.
Old 07-08-08, 03:02 AM
tpitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a waiter so i wear all black. usually dickies and a button up shirt. theres no place to really drop off clothes.
Old 07-08-08, 03:36 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tpitz
I have a problem with my spare clothing getting wrinkled in my back pack, is there any way to solve this? i've tried folding the clothes many different way but to no avail.
Try rolling them up instead of folding them.
Old 07-08-08, 04:22 AM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on rolling clothes. Don't use 100% cotton - usually wrinkles too much. If possible, get 100% polyester microfiber. Then roll 'em. For shirts, button at the neck and 1/2 way down to keep front together, then fold length wise in 3rds (like they are packed when you buy them). Then from the collar down roll using about a 2 to 3" "core". Don't roll too tightly. Pants, you have to prep too: remove the belt, take everything out of the pockets, and lay flat (using creases as guide). The front opening, and the back of the waist band, should be pushed inward to make the top of the pants roughly the same width as the legs, like you were making a flattened figure 8. Then roll down, with about 2 or 3" core again. Roll the underclothes or fold them, doesn't matter if they wrinkle.

You will have 3 rolls ready to put in the backpack or pannier. They should be put in so that they don't curve like a croissant when you are riding (most likely parallel to the top - bottom axis of the back pack).

Upon arrival, remove the clothes and hang them for 20 to 30 min if possible. If that's not feasible just shake them and wear. Should be pretty wrinkle free when you arrive.

For ties, roll them (I start in the middle, with both index fingers and reel the tie into a roll). I apply plastic wrap to help them keep their shape, and they are totally wrinkle free when I arrive. Remember not to roll things tightly or too loose. You'll get the hang of it with more experience.
Old 07-08-08, 04:25 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use an Eagle Creek folder. It's not perfect, but my clothes stay 90% wrinkle-free.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 07-08-08, 07:46 AM
hobbsc
backwoods bicycle militia

Bikes: 2019 FIT PRK, 2019 WTP Avenger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
I use an Eagle Creek folder. It's not perfect, but my clothes stay 90% wrinkle-free.
+1

I first heard about these wonders of commuting here on the forums and I've been using them for a couple of years now. I carry a pair of slacks and a nice pressed shirt in them to work without a problem. It's great!

Alternatively, you could try rolling your clothes. Fold your shirt sleeves back on themselves to make kind of a rectangle out of your shirt, then fold it in half, and start rolling from the bottom toward the collar until you have a tight roll without any wrinkles on it (take care to roll without leaving any wrinkles).

For pants, line up the seams of the legs and flatten out the upper portion on the pants. Fold them in half at the knee and start rolling from the fold to the top of the pants, again, taking care to keep from rolling any wrinkles into the clothing. You'll be pretty wrinkle-free when you get to work.

This stuff kind of helps, too. That is, if you have time to apply it when you get to your destination:

https://www.downy.com/en_US/products/wrinklereleaser.jsp

A travel size bottle of that works wonders when I'm vacationing or traveling for work. I'm sure it would do the same for a commute. It smells pretty good, too.
Old 07-08-08, 10:06 AM
sdastroguy

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I roll mine and don't have any problems for the most part. As previously mentioned, 100% cotton does not work very well and will wrinkle easily. One change is that I wrap my clothes around a 1" hollow cardboard tube so I can put the clothes in my pannier vertically instead of horizontally without the bottom of the rolls getting wrinkled.
Old 07-08-08, 10:26 AM
michaelalanjone

Bikes: Giant OCR-1, Schwinn Rocket Pro, Dahon Jack, a few others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roll 'em up like swiss cake rolls. Take pressed clothes, and lay them flat as you can, then gently roll them, not too tight.

Plus, I just keep several socks, and some black + burgundy dress shoes + matching belts at work. So really, I only need to carry a shirt + pants with me.
Old 07-08-08, 11:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm one of those who drops clothes off for the week on Sunday evening.
Old 07-08-08, 12:56 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roll, roll, roll. I use 100% cotton, some of my shirts are, but I fold/roll those so the wrinkes come out where they would be throughout the day. My rule: no linen. no linen blends. Linen is your enemy.
Old 07-09-08, 06:55 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Iron.

(hey, that's what we use )
Old 07-09-08, 08:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Try rolling them up instead of folding them.
+1

That's how I pack my clothing when I travel too.
Old 07-09-08, 10:57 PM
mijohnst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll tell you what works for me... Where I work I just have to wear a decent collared shirt. So when I get to work I put my shirt on a hanger and put it on the other side of the gym shower and let the steam from the shower press my cloths. Works great for me!
Old 07-10-08, 04:42 AM
guitarguy
Ride because you want to

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for rolling here. I was surprised on how well it works.
Old 07-10-08, 06:58 AM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
I thought this was a great idea too, but I find that they just press wrinkles into my clothes where I fold them. Am I securing it too tight?
Old 07-10-08, 07:00 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That's the other 10%.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 07-10-08, 08:16 AM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as said, earlier, rolling!

My dad learned it in the Marines and has been using it since the early 60s whenever he travels... I use it to ...

I get to the school I teach at and unroll and I am wrinkle free... all of my colleagues who cycle, 3 from the same place as me, actually do it in their street clothes,...

if you commute is not too far... just wear the dickies and shirt on the bike... trust me, if you are not going far, it is not an issue...

robi
Old 07-10-08, 08:26 AM
Shiggs

Bikes: 1985 Schwinn Traveler / 2009 Dawes SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This saved my life. It is an extremely cheap solution and works even better than the store stuff.

https://lifehacker.com/361731/make-yo...abric-softener

+1 on rolling
Old 07-10-08, 08:30 AM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neat, too bad I have not used fabric softner, or a dryer for that matter for for 15 years or so... we just hang out stuff otu to dry..

We shake it/snap it, which gets the wrinkles out, hang it on the line and that is that... OK for dress shirts, blouses we have to iron, but nothing else needs it..

then roll and pack, when time to take a trip.

robi
Old 07-10-08, 09:20 AM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My job is a t-shirt and jeans kind of thing... so no help for you there. Ask the boss if he could install some lockers.
Old 07-10-08, 09:40 AM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, I forgot to add... there are occasions when I have to where shirt/tie, or even a suit.. exam periods, etc lasting up to a week or two.. I cycle in on the first day, extra early, suit in panniers, I roll it up and make sure it is not crowded in the panniers.. get to work, hang it on a coat rack and it is usually ok...

I leave it there for the enitre week and just wear the one suit at work.. I bring new shirts every day or ever other day, but the shoes, tie, pants and jacket stay there..... never had a problem with this...

robi
Old 10-08-08, 12:58 PM
unicedmeman

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For all you cats using the Eagle Creek Folder, where do you keep it? Even the smallest one seems like it may be too large to fit in a trunk bag or panniers.
Old 10-08-08, 01:23 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both the 18" and 15" Folders; either will fit in my Arkel Utility Basket (I have the older buckle-top version, not the newer zip top) with the 18' sticking up a bit beyond (but the top flapping over to hold it in). The 15" will also fit into my Carradice SQR Slim just fine or my laptop bag-when only a couple items are in it due to thickness issues with my laptop bag. It should fit just fine into most messenger bags too.

One of the tricks to using the folder is to interfold your clothes...don't fold and stack as this creates hard folds and wrinkles that get set, but instead use the articles of clothes together to create soft folds, put socks into the folds, or some kind of "core object" to let you wrap around...here's a good article on the concept
Old 10-08-08, 01:42 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I bought and iron and board for under $20. Leave it in the locker room and use it almost every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.