Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Woo Hoo, a new Miyata Seven Ten

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 09:26 PM
Hasek

Bikes: 1997 or 6 Giant Rincon, 2015 Surly LHT, 1999 Schwinn Peloton.

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Hi everyone. This is my first post after lurking and researching vintage bikes for the last 2 weeks or so.

I have a late 90's Giant Rincon, and did some minor upgrades to make it more streetable. I love my Rincon, but it just wasn't a road bike. For the last few weeks I've been looking at new and used road bikes. I wasn't willing to spend the dough for a new road bike, man was I surprised to see the prices on those. I am sure they are nice, but I am not Ricky Racer, and certainly not Warren Buffet .

My search had me heavily leaning towards Fuji, Nishiki, or Miyata. I've seen quite a few of these at the bicycle co-op near me, and this style and price range was what I decided to find. It was a shame they all were not in the size of 56/57 cm's I needed

After a few missed Craigslist opportunities, deciding not to pursue a Miyata 310 on that auction web site, I came across a Miyata Seven Ten. The ad title "Myata Seventeen $95": The ad "Excellent condition bike low use." I shot him an e-mail, went over the dude's house, and I knew as I walked up to the Seven Ten that barring anything serious wrong, I found what I was looking for.

I checked the bike over, and the only thing I found mechanically that needs attention is the bottom bracket needs tightened a bit. Of course I'll take it all apart and clean and grease the innerds. I'm gonna do that on Friday. I took the Miyata Seven ten for a spin and I am in love... and no, I am not a freak, it'll be a celibate love relationship

I offered him $75, mistakenly thinking after the many ads, auctions and such I had looked at that he was asking $85. He said he was asking $95 and would take $85. SOLD!!!!!!

I brought the Miyata Seven Ten home and spent about an hour and a half cleaning the dust, little bit of grime, and light surface rust off the things like the quick release, derailers, etc. There are a couple of very small nicks in the paint and the only thing I am kinda bummed about is that one of the toe clips chrome is flaked and rusted beyond cleaning up. The Miyata labeled leather toe strap is broken on the same side .

Even though I am bummed about the toe clip/strap, I do believe that is a very negligible issue for a bike that is in 95%+ condition. I love the charcoal grey color... although that yellow head tube makes me laff when I look at it.

Tmar, I'd appreciate if you can help me with the year. It is a Seven Ten, rather than a 710.

- Triple butted Cro-Mo frame
- Dia-Compe brakes
- Sugino GLP crank
- Suntour Cyclone front and rear derailer
- Ukai rims
- The fork has a decal that is silver and black with a blue stripe and a red stripe at the bottom. It also has "Miyata" and a gear logo on the decal.
- Serial # NU45768

I am psyched to have something to post here and look forward to hanging out here!!!

Last edited by Hasek; 07-21-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 09:35 PM
sirpoopalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the bum bars add a really nice touch. A+
Old 07-21-08, 10:32 PM
leecycle

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like a 1986 model. Have a look at these pages from the Miyata catalog of that year:
https://bp3.blogger.com/_whtVpXkKwlQ/...0-h/img103.jpg
https://bp1.blogger.com/_whtVpXkKwlQ/...0-h/img119.jpg
Old 07-21-08, 11:01 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahh, that color is gorgeous
Old 07-22-08, 12:26 AM
twentyflights

Bikes: Late 80s Japanese Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah she's a beaut...dig the yellow head tube a lot.

*sigh* everyone's luckier than me in finding deals...
Old 07-22-08, 02:03 AM
TBART

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good looking bike & a good price, you did everything right!
Old 07-22-08, 02:31 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
What size toe clips?
Old 07-22-08, 06:24 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Liked 646 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasek
I love the charcoal grey color... although that yellow head tube makes me laff when I look at it.

My '87 512 has the same paint.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-22-08, 07:14 AM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
[QUOTE=Hasek;7107356] The ad title "Myata Seventeen $95": The ad "Excellent condition bike low use." I shot him an e-mail, went over the dude's house, and I knew as I walked up to the Seven Ten that barring anything serious wrong, I found what I was looking for.

I offered him $75, mistakenly thinking after the many ads, auctions and such I had looked at that he was asking $85. He said he was asking $95 and would take $85. SOLD!!!!!!
/QUOTE]

Nice catch. You are in North East Ohio. I saw that ad on CL and thought, well maybe I have shot at it cause the guy didn't read the name correctly and maybe this will pass under other peoples radar.
Old 07-22-08, 08:08 AM
due ruote 

Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
Super nice catch! You can pick up MKS toeclips for $15 although in my experience they seem more prone to rust than old Cristophe clips.
Old 07-22-08, 08:47 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somethings you just have to upgrade. Fretting about every bit of original equipment being in tact is not critical. Better to have dependable stuff.

Lose the foam handle bar stuff and wrap some color-groovy tape on it. Get some new rubber (those tires look like they will be dried out soon)... and of course.... a BLACK Brooks B-17 to top it all off. Sweet!
Old 07-22-08, 07:59 PM
Hasek

Bikes: 1997 or 6 Giant Rincon, 2015 Surly LHT, 1999 Schwinn Peloton.

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Yep Sirpoopalot, the bum bars, I had to contain my giggling when I saw those and the guy walked out of his house at the same time... but hey, if it floated the guys boat, good for him!

Thanks Leecircle. I guess it's not charcoal grey, but a blue. I did look at those catalog pdf's before I posted here. I was looking for "Seven Ten" in scanning the pages, rather than "710".

Twentyflights, yeah, you groove on that head tube? LOL, it crossed my mind that the paint designer musta thought "hey we need another color on this bike... let's slap some yellow right here" LOL. I don't mind it, it just seems a bit weird.

USA Zorro, I am not sure. My size 10 New Balance leather cross trainers fit in the top clips. Will they have the size stamped on them somewhere?

Nice looking ride top506!

Sonatageek, yeah, I was feeling that way as well. I just got lucky in checking the list at the right time. WRUW is awesome. Is College Pop Starts With XTC your show?

Thanks for the tip on the toe clips jbonimic.

Siggurd50, yeah I am not freaked out about the toe clips and straps. I just kind of liked the "Miyata" printed on the strap. I already got some bar tape. The posted pic is pretty compressed from the original pic. The tires are not as bad as they look, but do need to be replaced.

I've picked up pads, bar tape, and I'll pick up some tires, tubes, and stainless cables by Friday. Saturday I am gonna ride!!!