Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have a great ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 05:25 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Took the day off and used a chunk of it to take a nice relaxing ride. Rode from New Glarus, WI to Albany, WI and then back on the Sugar River Trail. Total distance of 31 miles, a modest distance but the longest I've done in 2008. Just haven't gone out to do the 40 milers that I was doing last year.

I rode on my recumbent and from the outset decided it was going to be a relaxing ride, at a slow pace. Fastest speed that I maintained for any distance was between 12.5 to 13.0 mph. That eased down as the day went on, dropping to 11.5 then 11.0 then down to 10 over last 5 miles. Not because I was fatigued but because I was just enjoying the ride and taking in the sights.

Weather was beautiful - low 80's, low humidity, mostly sunny.

Mid-ride I stopped at the M&M Cafe in Monticello, home of the famous "I biked to the M&M for pie" button that Stapfam & I both have. Had another slice of their delicious Amish Creme pie.

The summer wildflowers were out in full bloom today. I tried to keep track of how many different flowers I saw, I think it was 17. All of them were yellow, purple, or white. Also saw a lot of butterflies, birds (including a red tailed hawk), dragonflies, and thousands of grasshoppers. Saw a lot of biting flies and mosquitoes in the damper, low-lying areas, but wasn't bitten. At times I was riding past thick patches of a half-dozen different types of flowers, my favorites were the tall yellow coneflowers and wild sunflowers.

Unlike other recent rides, where I saw no other riders on the trails, I had a streak going of having ridden 62 miles on Wisconsin's rail trails without having seen another rider, today there were a fair number of people. Probably saw around 25-30 other riders, but no walkers and no dogs. Most of them were 50+'ers. I saw 3 tandems, including a tandem tadpole trike. No road bikes though. Everyone was quite friendly, exchanging greetings as we passed.

Played around with the position of my seat. Recumbents can be difficult to find the right seat position. I switched my crankset out for one with 155mm cranks earlier this year and have been trying to find the perfect seat position every since. After riding 15 miles, I tried sliding it another 1/4" further from the crank and that seemed to work fine, until my right foot starting going numb about 3 miles later. Shook it off and the same thing happened after another 3 miles. So I moved it back to where it had been and was fine for the rest of the ride. Don't understand why my foot went numb, it felt comfortable enough and I was able to maintain a steady cadence.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 08-08-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 05:36 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
I guess you could say, I was a little worn down with the heat and took a day off.
It sounds like you had a pretty nice day though and that's good.
Old 08-08-08, 05:37 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nice ride and report

I have had several neat rides this week, including riding with a buddy on MOnday, and with a group of 8 65+'rs on Tuesday.

Today, I swam one hour, lifted weights a bit, then did a 16 mile ride - had a McD's sundae in the middle of the ride.

Glad you were able to "smell the roses!"

wife and I are off to Baltimore early tomorrow am for my conference presentation on Monday and Tuesday am. Back Tues evening.

That leaves me with only 98 miles this week - no Saturday ride! 3,100 yards of swimming, though.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-08-08 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 05:42 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Sounds like you had a nice day for riding . A front came through here this morning and kicked up a nice breeze and felt a little cooler than it has been . I took off this afternoon on my Fugi MTB to do a little recovery ride after my longest ride yet yesterday . Just took my time and rode for about an hour . Felt pretty good not worrying about mileage and all. kirby
Old 08-08-08, 05:44 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It was a beautiful day for a ride but I had planned a rest day today. I couldn't resist though and headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for my usual late afternoon ride when I just want to get out on the bike. The ride starts at 4600' and I turn around at the summit at 6050'. There are a few downhills along the way so the total climb is about 1800' in the 18 mile round trip. It was about 60 degrees at the top and just a perfect day for a ride. Ride time about 1:15

Old 08-08-08, 06:02 PM
dave_gt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Kirby...

You ridin' around Peachtree City this weekend?

dave
Old 08-08-08, 06:19 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride reports! Had a day off today, and got back on the bike after last week's crash, along with cold / sore throat / cough as icing. Felt great, though struggled a bit. 50mi., in mid 80's, scattered clouds, and enough of a wind to be both challenging and refreshing. Being able to get back on the bike with no permanent damage would have made it a great ride for that reason alone.
Tomorrow promises similar weather.
Old 08-08-08, 06:23 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the reports...Since you asked, my ride(s) today:
10.3 miles to work
10.3 miles home

70 degrees, no rain, no wind, lots of other bikes out on the road...saw a beautiful vintage Colnago on my way in today.
Old 08-08-08, 06:58 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did the usual Friday morning ride for lunch in a nearby town. It was actually cool enough for arm warmers this morning. That's hard to believe for the month of August.

It was a short 35 mile ride and the weather was absolutely perfect. We did have a slight headwind on the way out but the return ride we had tailwinds all the way. The corn and soy beans are at their peak, everything was green from recent rains and the smell of recently baled hay was a welcome change from some of the other farm smells we sometimes encounter.

Even the old farm dogs seemed to be enjoying the day. Not a one of them was out to bite us. All they wanted to do was bark and run along beside us

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-08-08, 07:49 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We also did the usual Friday ride. I think there were 11 of us. My legs felt a bit heavy starting out (I had done a 50 and a 65 miler the two days before), but after our Deli break, I felt better (Coca Cola does wonders). The ride back from the Deli is more downhill than up. We were riding in a group when Fred (his name, not his look) took off in a "breakaway". I wasn't about to let that happen. I shadowed him for the 5 or so miles of slight downhill, sprinters' hills and flats. It was fun. When we arrived at the usual regrouping spot, most of the others pulled in close behind. They had gotten caught up in the "go fast" attitude, too, and were all chattering about "fun" and "whew" and stuff like that. From there, we have a nice downhill, which was ridden free-for-all, followed by a very smooth flat that is great for drafting, which we did. Even the weaker riders enjoyed that. Only 35 miles, but mostly smiles. Here's a picture of one stretch.

'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-08-08, 08:24 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a great ride today. It was close to the same distance as Tom’s ride. I believe the ride was a success because things are starting to fall into place. It also helps that I am learning my riding area better. But what made the ride better than most was my confidence and my comfort. I joined our LBS club ride and it was on a route I had been on before. I broke down and got some Bibs, even though I wear them under my cargo shorts and a Tee shirt. So all in all I was ready for this ride. It lived up to my expectations.
Old 08-08-08, 08:27 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I was on my recumbent and thus not in need of any additional padding, I wore my Levi denim cargo shorts. Very comfy.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-08-08, 09:10 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The weather was beautiful here too and I even made it out of the office early and got in the first half of a great ride.

Cell phones, alas, are tools of the devil.
Old 08-08-08, 09:40 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by dave_gt
Hey, Kirby...

You ridin' around Peachtree City this weekend?

dave
Don't know yet , My daughter is visiting tomorrow and if things work out I'll be riding my MTB on dirt roads in Jasper county Sunday. kirby
Old 08-08-08, 09:46 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
61 miles, 6 riders, temp to 97*, had one flat.

Old 08-08-08, 09:47 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Our weather is unusually cool; I rode to practice for a TT I'm doing on Sunday. I'm glad some of you posted pics and reported how much fun you had; I was too focused on my intervals to enjoy the views.

However, I did smell freshly-cut hay, recently-harvested tomatoes, newly-watered walnut orchards, horses in the sun, and a couple fields of late-blooming sunflowers. My eyes were focused on the road buy my nose caught the details. That added an element I wasn't expecting.
Old 08-08-08, 09:52 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only got to the apple store today.
Old 08-08-08, 09:52 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The rear tire split open (but did not burst) last night on the Portland. My LBS is the promoter of the Rochester Omnium, and is closed for the three-day race weekend, so no new tire until Monday. Rather than screw around with spare tires from the basement, I rode Yellow Bike to work today.

Yellow Bike, as you may recall, is a fast and frisky ride that always manages to pull a few extra watts out of its tired old motor, just because it's so fun.

32.8 in a 30 this morning, on the flat and level, modest tailwind less than 10, and I wasn't even drafting anything.

Of course, I could only sustain the extralegal speeds for a couple of tenths, but even after that I stayed in the upper 20s.

Maybe I still have some of those extra red blood cells floating around from the week of riding the Rockies...
Old 08-08-08, 09:55 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
61 miles …
Dang. Just 6,000 feet short of a metric!
Old 08-08-08, 11:08 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Dang. Just 6,000 feet short of a metric!
The 97* Temp in The Hot Sun should count for something.

One Flat: The valve nut jambed inside the rim hole.
Stats: Rim 30,000 miles, Tire 8,000 miles w 3 boots, Tube 5 patches, Roy 72 y/o.

My bike thermometer got up to 100* during this flat stop.

Old 08-09-08, 05:31 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I actually haven't ridden in about three weeks. No problems, I just have
not been in the mood. I will be again soon as my moods are strong but
somewhat cyclical. I think I burnt myself out riding too many miles in
July while trying to be a Father, Husband and employee all at the same
time. I have however thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your ride reports
and am becoming anxious to return to the saddle. Threads like this one
tend to rekindle the spark and motivate these tired, lazy old bones back
into action.

Great thread Tom, thanks for the spark.
Old 08-09-08, 05:47 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No riding on Friday - early morning at work. Went to my daughters play (kids drama camp - as if they need training). Had a good day. Last night I went up to the Adirondaks. Today - up in the daks maybe a small ride to stretch out the legs but probably a little hiking. Tomorrow is an 85 mile ride in the mountains so I am saving myself.
Old 08-09-08, 08:24 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 856 Posts
I missed out on my club ride this morning, because I discovered that one of the car tires was leaking. (It could have been much worse -- we are leaving tomorrow (Sunday) for a 400 mile each-way trip, and I could have discovered the problem then, instead.) I drove to the tire store with my bike in the car, rode back home, then returned on the bike two hours later to retrieve the car. This was a strictly utilitarian ride, but enjoyable, and it is always somehow very satisfying to take off on the bike after leaving the car for any sort of repairs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-09-08, 08:42 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
An absolutely great ride today with two personal bests. I rode with our club. I've been trying to move up from a "C" level rider (14-16 MPH to a "B" rider (18 MPH). Twice I've been able to ride with the B group for a third or half of the ride, then fall back to the C group. Today I completed a 64 mile ride, for the first time with the B group, average speed 17.7MPH. That's the longest ride I've ever completed and for rides over 30 miles, that's by far the fastest time. Also, my first metric century. I wonder if anyone noticed the huge grin on my face as we pulled into the parking lot.
Old 08-09-08, 09:34 PM
OldCruiser

My daughter (25) came to visit my wife and I , today . She's about to start her second year of law school at UGA . She went for a short ride with me on a Trek 800 ,I'd picked up from a yardsale . She's never really ridden a bike a lot and is a little afraid , especially of any speed . So we took our time and rode about 6 miles just before dark. She really likes the bike and is getting better at her riding . This was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had. kirby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.