Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New rider - Didn't take long for this to happen

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 07:45 PM
Sommy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I picked up my first road bike on Saturday and logged a quick 7 miles. It was a lot of fun. Sunday I get out and just plan on maybe 5-6 miles. As soon as I start off and hit a main road (not a lot of traffic, it goes between two neighborhoods) some jackass rolls the window down and yells "get on the sidewalk" as he drives off. I was pissed, only the second day into road biking, so I flipped him off. He kept driving.

I was a little surprised, because I live in Texas and see road bikers all over the place, I figured most people accepted the fact they should share the road.

So I know this has probably happened to everyone on here, but is this something I should expect like everytime I ride, or is it somewhat rare. i would hope most people are civil on sunday afternoon but I guess not.
Old 08-17-08, 07:50 PM
grafsk8er

Bikes: raleigh sport (thank god i got rid of it), current: cannondale systemsix w/ultegra 10, 2009 cannondale scalpel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome to the club. i got called a jackass by a guy in a truck too, except he was telling me that i shoulda stopped. but i was crossing over train tracks and there was no stop sign. i have no idea wtf he was talking about. a week or two after that i had a beer can thrown at me while riding down the road. makes the rides interesting
frankum
Slow down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In busier areas, I'd say every other ride. Where I am, country roads, it's like twice a week. But yeah, don't let it get to you. They need to share the road. They're jealous of our sexy bodies in tight pants that they can't fit into
do-well

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sommy
I picked up my first road bike on Saturday and logged a quick 7 miles. It was a lot of fun. Sunday I get out and just plan on maybe 5-6 miles. As soon as I start off and hit a main road (not a lot of traffic, it goes between two neighborhoods) some jackass rolls the window down and yells "get on the sidewalk" as he drives off. I was pissed, only the second day into road biking, so I flipped him off. He kept driving.

I was a little surprised, because I live in Texas and see road bikers all over the place, I figured most people accepted the fact they should share the road.

So I know this has probably happened to everyone on here, but is this something I should expect like everytime I ride, or is it somewhat rare. i would hope most people are civil on sunday afternoon but I guess not.

I can't really tell you how much you are going to experience road rage. Depends on the area of the country(and area of your city for that matter), and the occurrence of it is going to ebb and flow. Might have three experiences in one week, and then not another one for a number of weeks or months.

I used to flip people off a bunch. I even approached a driver or two. Not anymore. It's not my job to police society. It's not my job to react to these people. My job is to ride my bike and to stay safe.

If you want to react to people, go for it. If it makes you feel better, great. Just realize that any reactions can lead to consequences, including death.

I just try to enjoy my ride and let that other crap just float right on by. FWIW, such people are never going to change.
MadCowMoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don`t worry about it , more than likely he`s just having a bad day.
Old 08-17-08, 07:52 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Sommy

Not every day. Sometimes i go weeks with no problems. then sometimes it is 2-3 times a day. Grow a thick skin and dont worry about it. Just try not to get run over.
Old 08-17-08, 07:54 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doesn't happen often, more out in the sticks than in the city.

Don't flip the bird, it's not worth it, just smile and wave like he told you "nice ass" or chuckle at how dumb people can be.
Old 08-17-08, 07:56 PM
droptop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my friend was being yelled at by a guy in an SUV that told him to "get off his bike and come over here". the guy in the SUV was still driving. how, why would someone get off a bike when the person yelling is in a 3500 lb vehicle? my friend kept riding. just get used to people doing stupid stuff. even my now ex-roomate hates bikers, and my weight loss from cycling just made her hate cyclists more (yet she wouldn't even touch a bike- she said that sweating wasn't her thing.
Old 08-17-08, 07:57 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
You can't have a 'Thin Skin' with this hobby.
Old 08-17-08, 07:59 PM
artifice
superArti

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've observed primarily two things related to this in my short time as a cyclist.
1) its usually a truck driver.
2) the more it happens, the less you care.

Keep doing what you're doing!
Old 08-17-08, 08:14 PM
Gagonthis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the last abuse I got was from a fat guy and his b**ch on a Harley. Of all the people that you meet on the road, Youd think a motorcycle would be one to understand... but no, he gave me an enthusiatic (double pump) bird. and he was comming the other way.....go figure.

Last edited by Gagonthis; 08-17-08 at 08:15 PM. Reason: alter word
Old 08-17-08, 08:57 PM
Sommy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the insight, and some good stories to go along as well.

I suppose I'm just going to have to live with it as long as nobody tries to run me into a tree or something. I'm considering carrying a little "protection" with me just in case. Nothing leathel, just something for a little more security. Do you all carry anything with you?
Old 08-17-08, 09:11 PM
J.Lockdown
Cat 4

Bikes: Blue RC6AL - Rival Build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just something that comes along with us as bikers riding. I actually laugh when ever people say things like that, cause it shows they have a lack of common sense and logical thinking. Around were I live their are some places that by law if you are on a bike you can not uses the side walk. Its more assuming and funny when it happens.

Just the other day a guy yelled at me when I was riding on on the local road outside my house. At the next light he had to stop cause the red, and I got off my bike and walked over to his driver side door. I knocked on the glass and he rolled down the window and said WHAT. This was a kid that I had seen before and was no older then 17. I informed him of the laws and their was no need to be a jerk in a very polite way. Well I get home and I figured out he lived a couple houses down and I knew his parents. I walked down to his house, had a talk with his parents and now the kid does not have a car for 3 months.

But anyway just watch out, cause they have a moving object that does a little more damage then we can do ha.
Old 08-17-08, 09:16 PM
dmb2786

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
read the gun thread. take action.
Old 08-17-08, 09:19 PM
Chromavita

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On one of my first rides on a busy road (highway 50 for those that live in orlando) I was riding with a more experienced cyclist. A car drove buy shouted "F**K YOU!" and threw a water bottle out the window. My friend just flipped off the driver and shouted it back. It was really strange to see the routineness of it all. Since then I've become accustomed to it. It's just something that happens on most of my rides.
Old 08-17-08, 09:21 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have now been inducted as a roadie. Make yourself comfortable; the smoothie machine's to your right.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 08-17-08, 09:32 PM
seb1041

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listen to your Ipod...you'll see the flying bottles but at least you'll miss the monologue.
Old 08-17-08, 09:48 PM
Nd2PdlFstr
Rouleur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry confetti in a jersey pocket. Every time someone yells, toss a handful into the air in celebration. At least one of you will get a kick out of it.
Old 08-17-08, 10:03 PM
furiousferret

Liked 471 Times in 251 Posts
I used to flip people off, then the car came back and tossed a beer bottle at me, I don't flip off cars anymore. Cyclists pretty much have to concede to motorists. I have a pretty big ego, but also understand there's nothing I can do to defend myself against a pissed off driver.
Old 08-17-08, 10:24 PM
Wested
post-ironic

Bikes: CAAD 12, Lemond Maillot Jaune

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I used to flip people off, then the car came back and tossed a beer bottle at me, I don't flip off cars anymore. Cyclists pretty much have to concede to motorists. I have a pretty big ego, but also understand there's nothing I can do to defend myself against a pissed off driver.
+1. The last time I flipped off a driver I regretted it.
Old 08-17-08, 10:25 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 74 Times in 19 Posts
You're going to carry "a liitle protection"? What, you're gonna wear a comdom? Just bring common sense.
Old 08-17-08, 10:26 PM
naujcdl
que deporte!

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi C2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As evil as this may sound, just don't let these people on the road stop you from doing it, if you see the same car(truck), as you keep on riding, at an accident or at the local fast food restaurant just smile and say hi...

oh, the feeling is good... i call it the "wtf is he smiling at me about?"...little do they know...
Old 08-17-08, 10:51 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
You shouldn't expect it on every ride.

Riding in LA, there are parts of town where cyclists and motorists have worked themselves into an antagonistic frenzy, and the unsuspecting cyclists passing through might unwittingly fall prey to the battle of wills.

But through most of the city, I find that motorists generally give cyclists sufficient room to ride, and that they treat us with courtesy. There is the occasional un-alert driver who is just not paying attention, and consequently puts a biker in danger (right hooks, etc.). But the majority of the drivers seem to see me as part of the general traffic. I ride through some very busy parts of the city, and rarely have a significant problem. The biggest problems I have are those occasions where I find myself on a MUP dodging stroller brigades.
Old 08-17-08, 10:55 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Liked 88 Times in 58 Posts
In my three years of riding the roads in and around Austin, I've been yelled at once by a guy in a mini-truck. I waved.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 08-17-08, 11:12 PM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where in Texas? I'd imagine there is a huge diff between Austin and some other "less educated" counties.

Then were u in the middle of the road and impeding traffic? Fess up now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.