Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building a Wheel around Shimano Hubs or Something Pre-Built by Mavic?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 06:56 PM
fast_track

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Schwinn Paramount 1988, Cannondale CAAD9 5, Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The last wheel set I purchased was for my track bike (for street use) Phil Wood HF track hubs (32 hole) were laced 3 cross to Mavic CXP33 Rims with DT Swiss Comp spokes. They are the nicest wheels I personally have ridden before. I am looking to get a replacement wheel set for my road bike after damaging my front wheel this weekend in a small fender bender. I can always keep my original rear wheel as a back up/winter wheel. My original wheels are Shimano WH-R550 which i think retail around $275-300ish?

In the street fixie/track world most people choose to have wheels built around high quality hubs and rims with DT Swiss spokes (Assuming you want a wheel set around $800 or less) Very few quality pre-built track wheel sets exist in the sub-$1000 price range. A lot of low end pre-built choices and then you jump to high end wheels intended for true track use that run well over $1000 and would just be stupid to ride on the street.

In the road world these days it seams a different thing is happening. It feels like everyone is riding, more modern production wheels and not having wheels built around more traditional hubs. I feel like I haven't seen a 3x, 32/36 hole road wheel in ages on a modern bike (well maybe for touring)! Do people not build road wheels anymore?

I was thinking that I was going to have wheels built with Ultegra Hubs and Open Pros or CXP33's but everyone I have spoken to keeps suggesting to choose something I can afford in the Mavic Ksyrium family....

I am looking to spend around $800 max for the set. Can someone offer me their thoughts on the subject? If you think a pre-built wheel is the way to go, why is everyone so obsessed with Mavic in the price range I mentioned? What about Easton or Bontrager?

Intended use is commuting around NYC streets and longer weekend rides. I am 200lbs+ so durability is an issue. I am not a gram counter (I build wheels with Phil hubs if you know what I mean!)

Sorry, I think this is the longest post I have ever written! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 08-26-08, 07:49 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fast_track
The last wheel set I purchased was for my track bike (for street use) Phil Wood HF track hubs (32 hole) were laced 3 cross to Mavic CXP33 Rims with DT Swiss Comp spokes. They are the nicest wheels I personally have ridden before. I am looking to get a replacement wheel set for my road bike after damaging my front wheel this weekend in a small fender bender. I can always keep my original rear wheel as a back up/winter wheel. My original wheels are Shimano WH-R550 which i think retail around $275-300ish?

In the street fixie/track world most people choose to have wheels built around high quality hubs and rims with DT Swiss spokes (Assuming you want a wheel set around $800 or less) Very few quality pre-built track wheel sets exist in the sub-$1000 price range. A lot of low end pre-built choices and then you jump to high end wheels intended for true track use that run well over $1000 and would just be stupid to ride on the street.

In the road world these days it seams a different thing is happening. It feels like everyone is riding, more modern production wheels and not having wheels built around more traditional hubs. I feel like I haven't seen a 3x, 32/36 hole road wheel in ages on a modern bike (well maybe for touring)! Do people not build road wheels anymore?

I was thinking that I was going to have wheels built with Ultegra Hubs and Open Pros or CXP33's but everyone I have spoken to keeps suggesting to choose something I can afford in the Mavic Ksyrium family....

I am looking to spend around $800 max for the set. Can someone offer me their thoughts on the subject? If you think a pre-built wheel is the way to go, why is everyone so obsessed with Mavic in the price range I mentioned? What about Easton or Bontrager?

Intended use is commuting around NYC streets and longer weekend rides. I am 200lbs+ so durability is an issue. I am not a gram counter (I build wheels with Phil hubs if you know what I mean!)

Sorry, I think this is the longest post I have ever written! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I build my own wheels from parts selected for their weight, strength and aerodynamics. The result is a set of wheels that is lighter, more aero, stronger and more repairable than the usual Mavic jobber.

Refer to my previous post on Mavic as a company for reference. It's also a little bit longer than your post.

The second wheel build in my signature can be had for less than $600. I would look into having a set built for yourself.
Old 08-26-08, 08:07 PM
AgentRedlum

Bikes: Jet 9 RDO, Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
I build my own wheels from parts selected for their weight, strength and aerodynamics. The result is a set of wheels that is lighter, more aero, stronger and more repairable than the usual Mavic jobber.

Refer to my previous post on Mavic as a company for reference. It's also a little bit longer than your post.

The second wheel build in my signature can be had for less than $600. I would look into having a set built for yourself.
Hey, BT, based on posts in the recent "revolution vs. aerolite vs. something else" thread, would you change your recommendation of the revolutions? seems that a few BF members thought that the revs were a bit flexy. since aerolites are so expensive, would you suggest the c-xrays?
Old 08-26-08, 08:08 PM
AgentRedlum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ why the h e l l is there an ad in my post?
Old 08-26-08, 08:11 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AgentRedlum
^ why the h e l l is there a circuit city ad in my post?
A Red Star will set you free.

As for spokes: CX-Ray's would bump the budget for my do all wheels up from $550-$600 to $650. And there is nothing wrong with Revolutions as long as the wheels are built properly. For someone needing a beefier wheel for a crap load of training, I would recommend using DT Competition 14/15 Ga. spokes on the driveside of the rear wheel in place of the Revolutions.
Old 08-26-08, 08:15 PM
AgentRedlum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about revolutions for someone weighing 185-190?
Old 08-26-08, 08:17 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AgentRedlum
what about revolutions for someone weighing 185-190?
Competitions all around for low budget concerns. CX-Ray's would also work well for those who have the cash.

The spoke count would have to be upped in both cases. At least 24 spoke, radial front/28 spoke, 2x rear, but 2x front with 3x DS and 2x NDS rear lacing would be optimal.
Old 08-26-08, 08:18 PM
AgentRedlum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the advice
Old 08-26-08, 10:08 PM
Bicycle dad

Bikes: Specialized AllezPro,Cervelo P2C,Schwinn Paramount PDG series, Surly LHT, Klien Attitude Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Mavic CXP33 laced to Ultegra hubs and have road them at a weight at one time over 250 lbs. They are bomb proof. The only way to go coming from someone that actually has them.

They were built before 10 spd came out and they have never even been trued since built by my local bike shop.

They also for what it is worth out stop any other wheel that I use. Something about the surface on them is great in braking power.
Old 08-27-08, 07:27 AM
simplyred
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$800 gets you gold...

Pick 28/32/36h rims - as that format will never die in this industry.
Pick easily serviceable hubs. What's considered "serviceable" is up to you.
Spokes - DT/Sapim double butted all the way...
Brass nipples for extra bomb-proofing...
2X or even 3X the spokes for even more bomb-proofness...

The above wheelset should last a dog's lifetime barring any crashes. And when you do crash - think about how much it'll cost you to fix... $100 for new spokes, $200 for new rims - I've never seen a hub get f'ed.