Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Vitamin E = High Blood Preasure?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 08:30 AM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had been taking 1000 mg of vitamin E for about two years, when I happened to check my BP it was a little on the high side, I have never had a BP issue in my life. I seem to have recalled that taking large doses of E can cause high BP. Has anyone else ever read this? BTW, I stopped taking E in December and now it is back to 135/75, from 145\92.

Are there any vitamins that can help with BP?
Old 02-19-04, 10:17 AM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never heard anything about vitamin e having adverse effects on blood pressure. In fact a quick google search turned up stuff indicating that vitamin e is likely to have a positive effect on BP. My BP gets into questionable area at times but I think it's due to stress and I could stand to lose a few pounds as well.
Old 02-19-04, 11:27 AM
nhorscro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A quick search of the medical literature agrees with what MKRG found with Google. There are no reports of Vit E causing hypertension but it is known that antioxidants (Vit E is an antioxidant) help reduce some of the causes of hypertension. The variation that you saw in your BP could just be natural variation or due to some form of stress.
Old 02-19-04, 11:27 AM
RWTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My search also showed a potential positive effect for vitamin e on blood pressure.Recent studies however are showing supplemental E may not have the health benefits of dietary E and even some negative effects such as acting as an oxident.I think the conflict is in supplemental form it is usually just alpha tocopherol(and often the synthetic dl version much less readily available) not mixed tocopherols in particular the important gamma faction as found in whole food sources.Other supplements a search found potentially helpful for blood pressure were cal/mag ,vit.D,omega3 fatty acids and various antioxidents.
Old 02-19-04, 11:38 AM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A little off-topic relative to 'flylows question, but it seems like I recall often seeing warnings about taking/starting vitamin E if you have high blood pressure... check with a doctor first, etc. Don't know what that's about.
Old 02-19-04, 11:42 AM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear cycling is good for blood pressure. I also forgot to mention that I take 400 IU Vit E daily in a bid to keep my heart healthy. Not to try to hijack the thread but does anyone know if I should be concerned that my BP upon waking is usually around 113/64 and during the day my systolic tends to hang out in the 130s and sometimes in the 140s
Old 02-19-04, 12:09 PM
RWTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to a site that may offer a clue as to whether taking E is helpful or harmful for those with high blood pressure.They conclude gradually increasing the dosage is the best way to get the long term lowering effects without raising it in the process. https://www.doctoryourself.com/vitamin_e.html
Old 02-19-04, 03:01 PM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank's for that link. I am just going to keep an eye on the BP for a while and get a feeling for what it normally is running. Then I may try to creep a small amount back in. I'm doing Ca/Mg and K (Potassium) also. I find that 100 mg of K prevents me from having any kind of leg cramps while riding hard.
Old 02-19-04, 06:27 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Taking any Ibuprofen (Motrin)?

Significant relationship between Ibu and HBP for some people, recently discovered in the National Nurses Study of 80,000 nurses over many years.

I was on motrin for dental pain recently for a period of time, and my BP skyrocketed. Stopped the Ibu and it went way down!!

Also some evidence of relationship to Tylenol, but that is not so definite.

https://www.meridianhealth.com/index....odpressure.cfm
Old 02-20-04, 05:19 AM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't take any thing but supplements on a regular basis.
Old 02-20-04, 07:11 AM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's now believed that the higher number, your 135, is more important than the lower number. It's also the one that's most sensitive to stress (like job related) and to recent exercise. You need to have rested for 15 minutes before a BP measurement. Your 135 sounds a little high depending on your age. You're 145/92 is dangerous. If you have a stressful job, you should measure it in the morning (or on the weekend) vice the afternoon to see what your more normal value of the high number might be. Both numbers are sensitive to body weight and aerobic condition.

Some 40 years ago my lower number creeped up to 92 and my doctor wanted to put me on medication. Since I was only 26, I refused the medication and started jogging. That kept me to around 120/70-75 for about 38 years when it creeped up again to 115/90. Again the doctor wanted to put me on medication, but I lost 20 lbs instead and got it down to 115/80. I've since upped my cycling mileage to hopefully lower it some more. Blood pressure is sensitive to weight aerobic condition and to some degree diet as it's related to deposits on your artery walls; and not to some supplement no matter the claims. There's no silver bullet.

Al
Old 02-03-08, 12:23 PM
goosesaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vitamin e and high blood preasure

I'm glad I checked this out. I too take vitamin e and have been for several years. I also have high blood preasure because of an artery disease I have. However I started drinking green tea which is high in antioxidents and my blood preasure went up, even with the medication I am on, and I had to take more medication to get it back down. This happened to me once before when I started drinking Zango juice, which is also high in antioxidents, for my sister claimed it helped her with everything. My blood preasure went up then also. I believe it is too much antioxidents that make my blood preasure go up. Does anyone else have a similar problem.
Old 02-03-08, 11:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 1,998 Times in 1,419 Posts
I found this very quickly:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3998847.stm

and I've read before, but don't remember where, that dosages of 800 iu/day or more are definitely not recommended, and recommended max dosage is 400. So drop it to 400 and see what happens. Does not seem to be any benefit to dosages over 400.
Old 02-04-08, 02:15 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
From the New York Times:

November 10, 2004
Vitamin E Doesn't Protect Heart, Study Says
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

EW ORLEANS -- Vitamin E supplements -- taken by many Americans in hopes of warding off heart disease -- do not work, and may actually make the condition worse, researchers say.

``People take vitamin E because they think it's going to make them live longer. This doesn't support that at all,'' said Dr. Edgar Miller of Johns Hopkins University, who led the new analysis.

The study was reported Wednesday at an American Heart Association conference in New Orleans and was also published online by the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Many Americans continue to take vitamin E despite Heart Association guidelines saying it doesn't work and recent research suggesting it can interfere with statin drugs.

The study was an analysis of 19 previous studies involving a total of about 136,000 people who took vitamin E alone or in combination with other vitamins.

Those taking 400 international units per day or more -- the amount in most vitamin E supplements -- had 10 times the risk of dying as those taking 200 units or less.

Most multivitamins contain 35 to 40 units of vitamin E, which the study suggests might be slightly beneficial for health, Miller said.

``I spend all my time trying to tell patients why they should not take vitamin E,'' Dr. Raymond Gibbons, a Mayo Clinic cardiologist and chairman of the American Heart Association conference. ``Too often in terms of the supplements there's very scant science. In this area, we have the science. Vitamin E doesn't work.''

The idea that antioxidants such as vitamin E might ward off heart trouble was based in part on test tube studies that indicated they protect the heart's arteries by blocking the damaging effects of oxygen. Studies also show that healthy people who eat vitamin-rich food seem to have less heart disease.

However, experts say that perhaps antioxidants work when only in food, or that people who eat vitamin-rich food have a lower risk of heart disease because they take better care of themselves overall.

Dr. Robert Eckel, a cardiologist and metabolism expert from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, said he long has advised patients not to take vitamin E but that people cling to the belief it is beneficial. One woman he recently treated was taking 23 nutritional supplements but did not want to take ``medicines'' because she thought all supplements were good and all prescription drugs suspect.

``This is a real issue,'' he said.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-31-16, 03:52 PM
lofty spider
lofty spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lofty spider

Originally Posted by Roody
From the New York Times:
I am 82 years old and when I went to the doctors for my annual check up to see that I was still fit to drive, the doctor said I was the fittest youngest looking 82 year old he had ever seen.
Unfortunately my blood pressure was on the high side.
I don't know if taking 1500 iu's of vitamin E was anything to do with this, which I increased from 1000 iu's five years ago after I suffered suspected thrombosis in the leg, moving to the groin at that time. It cleared up within three days without medical help. So have been on that dosage up till this check up a month ago.
The doc put me on a pill and I dropped my vitamin E to 1000 iu's per day and my BP has dropped, but still not enough to satisfy the doctor, so he is now trying me on a different pill.
Until now I have never been on medication and I have been taking vitamin E among other supplements since I was 28 years old.
Can the forum experts explain this?
Incidentally, I discovered polyunsaturated oils and fats destroy vitamin E in the body, hence my thrombosis even as I am taking vitamin E.
Needles to say, all polyunsaturated's went into the bin and am back on full cream etc.
My cholesterol is 4 1/2.
Lofty spider
Old 03-31-16, 05:16 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Vit E is supposed to be a heart healthy vitamin, but as in all things, moderation is the key. Even too much water will hurt you by diluting your cells.
Old 04-01-16, 02:03 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This was a zombie thread when it was first revived ​eight years ago. What do you call a thread that has been exhumed twice?
Old 04-01-16, 04:32 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
This was a zombie thread when it was first revived ​eight years ago. What do you call a thread that has been exhumed twice?
Tutankhamun?
Old 04-01-16, 04:37 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,254 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by lofty spider
I am 82 years old and when I went to the doctors for my annual check up to see that I was still fit to drive, the doctor said I was the fittest youngest looking 82 year old he had ever seen.
Unfortunately my blood pressure was on the high side.
I don't know if taking 1500 iu's of vitamin E was anything to do with this, which I increased from 1000 iu's five years ago after I suffered suspected thrombosis in the leg, moving to the groin at that time. It cleared up within three days without medical help. So have been on that dosage up till this check up a month ago.
The doc put me on a pill and I dropped my vitamin E to 1000 iu's per day and my BP has dropped, but still not enough to satisfy the doctor, so he is now trying me on a different pill.
Until now I have never been on medication and I have been taking vitamin E among other supplements since I was 28 years old.
Can the forum experts explain this?
Incidentally, I discovered polyunsaturated oils and fats destroy vitamin E in the body, hence my thrombosis even as I am taking vitamin E.
Needles to say, all polyunsaturated's went into the bin and am back on full cream etc.
My cholesterol is 4 1/2.
Lofty spider
74 here and take 2000 mg of E eveyday