Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

bike locks in philadelphia

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 09:14 AM
hankwk

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional, 2007 Trek FX 7.3, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK so when I am going places, I usually try to keep my bike on me at all times. I don't usually lock the bike up, unless I absolutely have to (for fear that it might be grabbed up the second I am not there). The bike usually stays parked inside in a friend's apartment or something similar. If I am running errands, I take other means of transportation to get there just b/c I don't want to risk locking it up.

Lately over here in philly, there has been an astronomical increase in bike thefts. U locks or two U locks do not stop thefts at all. So what I am wondering is if there is ANY lock, deterrent system that is more theft proof... any comments??
Old 08-31-08, 09:55 AM
icelemmings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to go nuts run a Kryptonite NYC Fahgettabout-it U-Lock / Chain combo. Aside from weighing a good 10+ lbs, it seems excessive.
Old 08-31-08, 10:19 AM
jimisnowhere

Bikes: 60's lowrider, 80's Cavaletto Centurion, 94 Specialized Rockhopper sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the bike look like? A blingy tarck bike will draw more attention than a bike boom conversion. I use a big u on my rear and cable the front wheel on my commuter. But its locked up at the same pace everyday, for the same time. The city work bike (Dawes SST) gets a U on the rear, but its moved with messenger frequency. Not locking it up is just stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 08-31-08, 10:34 AM
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, it's not that bad here. as long as you're not locking your bike up overnight, the chances of it being stolen-- provided you lock it up right-- are slim.
a good lock (kryptonite evo or fahgettaboudit) on your back wheel and frame (or the sheldon method) and a security skewer or nut in the front is going to be plenty. lock up where there's foot traffic and you'll be fine. doing things like going to the movies or grocery shopping isn't an issue as long as you lock up smart. two locks is overkill.
Old 08-31-08, 10:46 AM
lattanzio
bike bike bike

Bikes: eai bareknuckle, cayne uno beater, raleigh sprite 27 conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sp00ki
dude, it's not that bad here. as long as you're not locking your bike up overnight, the chances of it being stolen-- provided you lock it up right-- are slim.
a good lock (kryptonite evo or fahgettaboudit) on your back wheel and frame (or the sheldon method) and a security skewer or nut in the front is going to be plenty. lock up where there's foot traffic and you'll be fine. doing things like going to the movies or grocery shopping isn't an issue as long as you lock up smart. two locks is overkill.
exactly. lock it up right, and youll be fine. overnight, or locking it to the same place everyday at the same time can be risky, but just day to day activities should be fine.

and i, personally, am as paranoid as anyone. i use 2 locks, and sometimes a rope through my seat-rails. its overkill but gives me piece of mind, and why not? kryptonite nylock through the backwheel/frame, evo mini front wheel to frame.
Old 08-31-08, 12:00 PM
bmxdan

Bikes: windsor hour, fly bikes pantera, custom lowrider, hoffman ep flatland bike, eastern hercules.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i usually just use a krypto mini for the back wheel/ frame if i am at the grocery store or running errands and if i am going to be inside somewhere for more than a few hours i take a cable lock for the front wheel and frame. I would never leave my bike out side for more than an hour past 10 pm. If i am going to a bar or out to dinner somewhere I will skateboard and leave my bike at home (inside). I don't trust anyone after sundown, no matter what kind of lock/ lock method I use.
Old 09-02-08, 08:14 AM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what they said.
i usually just use a krypto evo, and lock to a signpost or something (making sure it's anchored into the ground securely) through the frame & front wheel (i have a qr hub).
never lock outside overnight.