Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Best place to live/train/race in Europe?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 07:58 PM
DanielS

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Hillbrick Pista, Avanti Sprint, Commencal Combi Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, so this is sort of a hypothetical question, but its something I'm considering doing for 2-3 months next year.

I have this crazy plan to go rent a cheap place in Europe somewhere, ride heaps, climb big mountains and do some racing. I have a friend or two that I might be able to convince to come with me.

So the question is - where would be the best spot for this?

I'm thinking France/Spain near the pyrenees, or Italy near the alps.

Girona in Spain seems to come up a lot as a place where a lot of pros go to train. But aside from that I have no idea...

Thoughts?
Old 09-03-08, 08:39 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Liked 1,005 Times in 678 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielS
I'm thinking France/Spain near the pyrenees, or Italy near the alps.
I have zero experience with them, but whenever I looked at the topo maps, Italy, near the French border/Mediterranean coastline, looked like it had the best roads to ride.
Old 09-03-08, 08:45 PM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Live? Probably Switzerland.
Train? Probably Spain.
Race? Belgium. No probably from what I understand.
Old 09-03-08, 08:47 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think they are separate questions. I have spent the summer in Nice for the past five years. Great training. No racing to speak of. The italian alps are beautiful, though it can be quite hot in the summer months at the base of the mountains. The pyrenees are again beautiful for training and I think a lot of the pros who used to move to Nice and the French Riviera have now moved to the Spanish coast instead for easy access to all types of training. Racing? Not sure what is to be had in those areas. However, listening to Botto and others, it seems that Belgium would be the place to get the most racing in.

So more training? or more racing?
Old 09-03-08, 09:31 PM
DanielS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, I think I'd be more interested in the training, and just riding those big mountain passes Racing would be a secondary concern, although it would certainly be nice to do some.

In my mind I see a large town/small city with massive mountains in the background, awesome roads, and friendly people.

Belgium/Holland do sound fantastic for racing. I have actually been to both of those countries, loved the villages etc. But I want to ride 2000m climbs!
Old 09-03-08, 09:58 PM
LT Intolerant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the good fortune to train/race in the Veneto region of Italy last summer. It was an incredible experience as the racing was for the most part local (typically within an hours drive or less) and fast with constant attacking on killer circuits.

While I only spent 3 weeks in Italy others that I met spent much of the summer and believe me I was envious. I went through Velo Veneto, an Italian-based team run by an American, and that made things much easier. They provided food, lodging, transport to/from races, and handled getting me licensed and into various Masters events. The camp is based in small town and you are in the foothills of the Dolomites, an hours drive or so from some of the killer climbs in the Dolomites. The small town Italians are nice enough, but fairly quiet, reserved people. There isn't much of a nightlife to speak of so you're experience pretty much centers around training and racing.

Although I've ridden many times in France I haven't raced there so its hard for me to compare Italy and France from a racing perspective, but I would go back to Italy in a heartbeat given the opportunity. If you are interested here is the link...

https://www.veloveneto.com
Old 09-03-08, 10:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
You want to rent a cheap place in Europe.

Let me know if you find such a thing!!

And personally I'm partial to France, having gone there and cycled their twice. I'd find it very easy to live there.
Old 09-04-08, 06:09 AM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not settle in a cheap hotel/hostel/apt in Flanders for the racing and then make a couple side trips for a few days each to different mountain ranges down south.
I did that the first my first year in Belgium and got to climb a bunch of hors-categorie mountains in the French Alps.
You won't be able to race as easily in those countries where the mountains lie, but anyone can race the kermesse scene in Belgie.
Old 09-04-08, 07:02 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielS
For me, I think I'd be more interested in the training, and just riding those big mountain passes Racing would be a secondary concern, although it would certainly be nice to do some.

In my mind I see a large town/small city with massive mountains in the background, awesome roads, and friendly people.

Belgium/Holland do sound fantastic for racing. I have actually been to both of those countries, loved the villages etc. But I want to ride 2000m climbs!
If you're willing to substitute the cyclesportifs for races, anywhere between Trento, Italy and Grenoble, France should work fine. Side trips up to Belgium if you want a true race.
Old 09-04-08, 08:33 AM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA
Why not settle in a cheap hotel/hostel/apt in Flanders for the racing and then make a couple side trips for a few days each to different mountain ranges down south.
I did that the first my first year in Belgium and got to climb a bunch of hors-categorie mountains in the French Alps.
You won't be able to race as easily in those countries where the mountains lie, but anyone can race the kermesse scene in Belgie.
good advice.

Originally Posted by Pedaleur
If you're willing to substitute the cyclesportifs for races, anywhere between Trento, Italy and Grenoble, France should work fine. Side trips up to Belgium if you want a true race.
also an idea.
Old 09-04-08, 09:30 AM
MarkSch

Bikes: Daniel Girard, Specialized Stumpjumper M2, Basso TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the late 80s early 90s my parents lived in Geneva and I spent much of the summer there (college / med school time off) and the riding was GREAT.....inexpensive.....not so much.

Less expensive options nearby in France however....Annemasse, Annecy....though with the exchange rate as it is, might not be ANYWHERE that is inexpensive.

At the time I was doing triathlons, and had no trouble finding races in that region....less sure about cycling races.
Old 09-04-08, 09:38 AM
botto 

^

yep, switzerland is definitely not the place to go if your budget is limited.
Old 09-04-08, 09:45 AM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be in Belgium this December racing cross (more of a vacation). I'll be staying with family friends (less money)... I'll post my experience when I get back.

I don't get my @ss kicked enough racing As in the states. I need an international experience/beating.
Old 09-04-08, 11:59 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
Not sure of your overall goal.

Is the trip an ends to a mean? In other words do you want to be faster, stronger? Belgium, race, and be a god when you come back. If you consider anything shorter than 2k "not a hill" then consider all of Belgium to be flat (and Holland). But some of those relatively short climbs are very hard (think Flanders). And flat windy (wind windy, not turns/corners windy) roads should not be underestimated. When you return you'll be gobs stronger. The scenery may not be as romantic (cow pastures, manure on road, electric fences, ditches with cow pasture run off, etc) but you don't see that except when you train. Racing you'll only see a tire, cassette, if you're strong.

Or is the trip the end itself? You want to climb a lot, train a lot, get more fit, enjoy the scenery, but not necessarily leave with anything except unavoidable/inevitable gains in fitness? The mountains seem like they'd work, this is what I do every Feb in CA for the last few years. I even do a couple group rides but nothing like racing (except Swamis, but I can't hang with them so I don't count it as a group ride). But when I come back to racing, it's a totally different world. My hours of training simply prepare me for getting back into racing.

Repost but this was my experience in Belgium -
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...kermesses.html

cdr
Old 09-04-08, 01:53 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just go to some Rocky Mountain state and save a crap load if money.
Old 09-04-08, 02:15 PM
LT Intolerant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Repost but this was my experience in Belgium -
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...kermesses.html
cdr
Great story! Incredibly well written, as good as anything I've read in Velo News or other rags. Although I only raced in Masters races in Italy I had a first hand look at the "open" races, and while fast, on roughly 10k technical circuits, the speeds were similar to Pro 1/2 races in the US and the fields were in the 75 person range. Belgium sounds insane compared to what I witnessed/experienced in Italy!
Old 09-04-08, 02:17 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaRow
I would just go to some Rocky Mountain state and save a crap load if money.

And deal with all the disrespectful fatties behind the wheel of their fattie cars, whilst eating their fattie McFattie meals. No way. I'm a serious patriot, but my country is lacking in some serious manners.

Go to Europe. Relax on busy roads filled with little cars and respectful driving.
Old 09-04-08, 03:00 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well in that case I would just tour Europe. Both for the huge variety of rides you'll find and the equally huge variety of really attractive European women.
Old 09-04-08, 06:52 PM
botto 

Well in that case I would just tour Europe. Both for the huge variety of rides you'll find and the equally huge variety of really attractive European women.
spend some time in downtown NY if that's all you want.
Old 09-04-08, 08:34 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
spend some time in downtown NY if that's all you want.
If I follow your advice I'll get a bunch of weird rashes and boils. Not into that.
Old 09-04-08, 08:58 PM
botto 

If I follow your advice I'll get a bunch of weird rashes and boils. Not into that.
charmless and ignorant. impressive.
Old 09-04-08, 09:25 PM
DanielS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, all.

carpediemracing - The trip would be more of an ends to itself. I race regularly, but its not the sole focus of my riding. I've read your story of the kermesses before, its an awe inspiring read!

I'll do some pondering.

Cheers.
Old 09-05-08, 05:40 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
I'd do a hostel/credit-card tour. Bring enough stuff (clothing etc) in panniers/backpack, use a Europass (or whatever that month-at-a-time train pass is called), stay in hostels (a week or two at a time is acceptable), use the panniers/backpack to buy your food at local places, and train to your heart's content. Hostels immerse you in the local area, force you to meet people, and are relatively secure.

I've never been in too many places around Europe specifically for cycling but the passes in Italy/Switzerland are crazy high/narrow and have spectacular views. If you train in a "kit" then Italy will treat you pretty well, ditto Belgium/Holland, not sure of other places. When I say "kit", think of Cancellara on a ride, not just wearing a jersey and using an enormous seat bag.

Not sure of your language abilities but I'd check that too. English is not universal in the "outback" areas.

cdr

ps LT Intolerant thanks re: writing
Old 09-05-08, 06:08 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'd do a hostel/credit-card tour. Bring enough stuff (clothing etc) in panniers/backpack, use a Europass (or whatever that month-at-a-time train pass is called), stay in hostels (a week or two at a time is acceptable), use the panniers/backpack to buy your food at local places, and train to your heart's content. Hostels immerse you in the local area, force you to meet people, and are relatively secure.

I've never been in too many places around Europe specifically for cycling but the passes in Italy/Switzerland are crazy high/narrow and have spectacular views. If you train in a "kit" then Italy will treat you pretty well, ditto Belgium/Holland, not sure of other places. When I say "kit", think of Cancellara on a ride, not just wearing a jersey and using an enormous seat bag.

Not sure of your language abilities but I'd check that too.
English is not universal in the "outback" areas.

cdr

ps LT Intolerant thanks re: writing
not universal, but as close as it gets.
Old 09-05-08, 06:16 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfcrossrider
I'll be in Belgium this December racing cross (more of a vacation). I'll be staying with family friends (less money)... I'll post my experience when I get back.

I don't get my @ss kicked enough racing As in the states. I need an international experience/beating.
Holy crap dude I am jealous! I would love to try racing cross out there but I am not even at your level yet so it would be a nightmare for me right now. Maybe next year. You should keep a live blog going while you are out there so I can live through it

Im still debating wether I want to make a trip out there to watch the spring classics or cross races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.