Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Talk about HTFU

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Talk about HTFU

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 06:38 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk about HTFU

Wow.

Today I marshaled the NYC Century.

About 70 miles into the ride, a guy took a nasty spill. His wrist immediately swelled where it looked like he had a ball on the outside of his wrist, I'm certain he broke something either in his hand or wrist.

He asked me about his options and I told him we could call an ambulance, he could hop on a train back to the start, or he could wait for the next rest stop which was just a few miles away.

He rode to the rest area and had it looked at by the ambulance staff at the rest area, who confirmed it was broken and recommended transporting him to the hospital. He looks at me and says "you know, I really want to finish this ride".

The ambulance crew put an ice pack on his wrist, wrapped it up, and off he went, on his way to complete the full 100 miles with his broken wrist.

Damn, now that's how you HTFU!!!!
Old 09-07-08, 06:40 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
That's how you add 3 months to your recovery time. It's not like he's getting paid to finish, live to ride another day.
Old 09-07-08, 06:43 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a guy like that would happily take the extra 3 months R&R, and rise up to the challenge, than fail and loathe himself during the recovery.
Old 09-07-08, 06:45 PM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
That's how you add 3 months to your recovery time. It's not like he's getting paid to finish, live to ride another day.
Maybe he rode one handed, eh? HTFU Flatty.
Old 09-07-08, 06:49 PM
<3 2 Ride 
Found my way

Bikes: Salsa Campeon, Specialized Crux, Bottechia Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not like he's getting paid to finish, live to ride another day.
Sometimes it's about pride and how much time/effort you have put into training for the ride. I pulled my hamstring halfway through the second day of riding a 150 mile tour. Got some ice, BioFreeze and ibuprofen & kept riding. Had to take several weeks off the bike afterwards, but it was worth it to say I had finished it.
Old 09-07-08, 07:40 PM
Nick29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcbikeguy
Maybe he rode one handed, eh? HTFU Flatty.
I passed a guy today who was riding with his left arm in a sling. . .
Old 09-07-08, 07:54 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extra 3 months? Its almost winter anyway!
Old 09-07-08, 07:56 PM
ilvwhtgrls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkauffman
time to bring out the arm warmers.
Old 09-07-08, 07:59 PM
CharlieWoo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy actually had an EMT look at it? What a p***y.

Last edited by CharlieWoo; 09-07-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-07-08, 08:02 PM
Meghdoot

Bikes: Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieWoo
Th guy actually had an EMT look at it? What a p***y.
+1

Doesn't make sense to risk 3 months long recovery for a annual century ride. If not this year, he can do next.

Now he will miss all the fun of commuting/racing/biking/skiing.....
Old 09-07-08, 08:05 PM
Szczuldo
What is this demonry?!

Bikes: KHS Aero Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkauffman
nothing like riding on a trainer with a broken wrist knowing that you won't get much of a good ride outside anyway. That is pretty epic though, I wouldn't mind breaking an arm, but breaking a leg i'd be pissed.
Old 09-07-08, 08:08 PM
JPradun
Pokes On Spokes

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick29
I passed a guy today who was riding with his left arm in a sling. . .
I broke my collarbone and tore the tendon that controls my rotator cuff 3 weeks ago and I was back on my bike 2 days later, one handed. I didn't wear a sling because, if emergency called, I'd rather be in a lot of pain with both hands on the bars than be on the ground again because one arm was stuck in a sling.

Not as bad as a friend who cut off his cast only 5 days after cleanly breaking his left wrist...so he could do a 105mi ride with us. Jebus...
Old 09-07-08, 08:26 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,324 Times in 569 Posts
It's just a f'n century.

Broken hand/wrist = bad
Century = No big deal

I saw a d-bag take a horrible fall lapping wheels today on a century. I almost wish something would have swelled up on him. Total idiot.

Old 09-07-08, 08:28 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I didn't already know cyclists were dumb...
Old 09-07-08, 11:52 PM
furiousferret

Liked 471 Times in 251 Posts
It's also what defines true character.
Old 09-08-08, 05:12 AM
jim6b

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Bontrager, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
It's also what defines true character.
A truism.

But it is a question of "what character is it that is being defined."
Old 09-08-08, 06:16 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Meghdoot
+1

Doesn't make sense to risk 3 months long recovery for a annual century ride. If not this year, he can do next.

Now he will miss all the fun of commuting/racing/biking/skiing.....
Not when your primary goal was to finish the 100 mile ride. It's either he hurts for a little longer, but says that he finished the ride...or he recovers faster, but has to wait until next year (since he'll be recovering for a few weeks, that knocks out most of the centuries) to finish his goal.

If I were in his shoes (and I sort of was when I did the Montauk Century), I would have kept going.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-08-08, 07:04 AM
silver bullet
WAARRGH!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim6b
A truism.

But it is a question of "what character is it that is being defined."
Indeed.

Riding a 100 miles with a broken wrist to save a child from a burning house = heroic character.
Riding a 100 miles with a broken wrist just to complete a 100 miles = stupid character.
Old 09-08-08, 07:16 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I LOVE THIS PLACE.

HTFU is our slogan, but when someone actually does it, we call him out for it.

The guy was in the medical field and started riding this year. For one reason or another, this ride meant a lot to him so he finished it. I also know that he wanted to get to the hospital he worked at which was close to the finish line, so maybe that was part of the equation. All I know is the dude has some serious pain control.

Smart? Maybe not, but that wasn't the point. I know I could not have done it.
Old 09-08-08, 07:24 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
--
Old 09-08-08, 07:49 AM
furiousferret

Liked 471 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by silver bullet
Indeed.

Riding a 100 miles with a broken wrist to save a child from a burning house = heroic character.
Riding a 100 miles with a broken wrist just to complete a 100 miles = stupid character.
I've been around sports and served in the military most of my life. There is a signifigant difference between people who set themselves to achieve goals and ones who don't. Most goal oriented people dont let anything get in the way, and focus only on the goal. Its something you have or dont, and you will not understand if you dont have it. Obviously this was a major goal for him and he was going to let nothing get in the way. Others who do not set goals begin to look for reasons to quit, and everytime you quit, quitting becomes that much easier the next time.
Old 09-08-08, 08:25 AM
grudgemonkey
26r

Bikes: road, hardtail, fs, streetbeater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been around sports and served in the military most of my life. There is a signifigant difference between people who set themselves to achieve goals and ones who don't. Most goal oriented people dont let anything get in the way, and focus only on the goal. Its something you have or dont, and you will not understand if you dont have it. Obviously this was a major goal for him and he was going to let nothing get in the way. Others who do not set goals begin to look for reasons to quit, and everytime you quit, quitting becomes that much easier the next time.
ain't it the truth.
Old 09-08-08, 08:29 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People that don't have it can develop it, as it's really important to have. Pez Cycling has some really good write-ups on improving this facet of mental fitness. Made me start an initiative to improve my own.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-08-08, 08:42 AM
silver bullet
WAARRGH!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. Are you telling me I don't "have it" and therefore I don't "understand it"?

Riding a century is not a special enough goal to risk complicating a wrist fracture. At least to me.
Old 09-08-08, 08:48 AM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
here's something to help you reach your next goal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.