Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

X-mart MTB singlespeed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

X-mart MTB singlespeed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 11:48 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
X-mart MTB singlespeed?

So a couple years ago, I got a wally world 18 speed Roadmaster MTB. I know. Anyway, within the first 20 miles, I totaled the rear wheel, and threw on a rather nice wheel that I got from a biking-friend (used it on my past 4 MTB's, along with the front...). Not too sure of the make anymore of that particular wheel. Regardless, it's got a Shimano 6 speed freewheel (with a quickrelease axle), and I can't even use 1st gear, because it's too steep (the derailleur cogs hit the gear in 1st). So, I was thinking, would it be a decent bike to make into a single speed? I've already upgraded the brakes, the shifting mechanism is garbage, and it's pretty solid, for what it is...

Also, what would be the easiest way to do this - DIY spacers, or buying one of those kits online?

BTw, it would probably get the gears of a BMX bike, if I went the DIY route...
Old 09-09-08, 12:14 PM
jimisnowhere

Bikes: 60's lowrider, 80's Cavaletto Centurion, 94 Specialized Rockhopper sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That hub will be a freewheel hub. Buy a new 1 spd freewheel have 'em remove the old one. Then gut the shifters, levers etc.

would it be a decent bike to make into a single speed?

No.
Old 09-09-08, 12:14 PM
imoscardotcom
jawesome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
department store bikes are toys. everything on the bike will fail soon. they are made to break. not worth your time at all
Old 09-09-08, 12:33 PM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Bikes: Some Schwinns, a Gary Fisher, some vintage lt wts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a Huffy off the curb(trash). It was pretty easy to convert. The extra chain rings came off by drilling the rivits that held them on this left me with just the middle chain ring. When reassembling the crank I removed the extra spacers, moving the chain line in. The rear wheel is the original cheap steel. I did not redish it because I am just using as a beater bike/loaner. I used a bottom bracket lock ring as a spacer to move the BMX freewheel out to meet the cranks chain line. It barely lined up, but it works.
Old 09-09-08, 01:05 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by imoscardotcom
department store bikes are toys. everything on the bike will fail soon. they are made to break. not worth your time at all

I'm well aware of that, but at this point, it's the only bike I've got. I figure that it'd be a decent project - if it breaks, it doesn't matter much, and I can then use the rear wheel on a decent MTB frame.

I've ridden dept. store bikes thousands of miles over the years, and haven't had a serious failure. I know that it's nothing big and fancy, but I'm a new teacher with thousands of debt on a new teacher's budget...
Old 09-09-08, 04:50 PM
shecky

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most bikes in the US are considered toys. Some are simply more expensive than others.

Turning a Roadmaster into a SS is probably the best thing that can be done to it.
Old 09-09-08, 06:35 PM
imoscardotcom
jawesome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
I'm well aware of that, but at this point, it's the only bike I've got. I figure that it'd be a decent project - if it breaks, it doesn't matter much, and I can then use the rear wheel on a decent MTB frame.

I've ridden dept. store bikes thousands of miles over the years, and haven't had a serious failure. I know that it's nothing big and fancy, but I'm a new teacher with thousands of debt on a new teacher's budget...
check out yard sales, co-ops, craigslist, etc. for an old road frame. i'm just saying in the long run, you are not going to pleased at all with a converted roadmaster.
Old 09-09-08, 11:22 PM
shecky

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imoscardotcom
check out yard sales, co-ops, craigslist, etc. for an old road frame. i'm just saying in the long run, you are not going to pleased at all with a converted roadmaster.
Why not? It's essentially going to be made into something that's functionally identical to a beach cruiser.

All you prissy folks would crap your pants if you say my fixie. A Huffy with one piece cranks.
Old 09-10-08, 12:20 AM
cbtumedic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shecky
Why not? It's essentially going to be made into something that's functionally identical to a beach cruiser.

All you prissy folks would crap your pants if you say my fixie. A Huffy with one piece cranks.
+1, my fixie is a murray with 1 piece cranks that I picked up at the pawn shop for 20 bucks, total investment 60 bucks. I love it, great intro into riding fixed. I say go for it, have fun, and forget all the naysayers. You can always put everything on a better frame if this one gets trashed, that's what I plan on doing if mine starts falling apart. I got a lot of compliments on my conversion right here on BF and it's nothing special, but at least it got me riding.
Old 09-10-08, 12:40 AM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shecky

Definitely go ahead and do it if you have parts lying around and tools already. I regret tossing my old Wal-Mart steel frame that would have made a great fixie. I was getting into road cycling and I guess I figured I would never need it - ok, fine I knew I would need it, but I guess the stereotypical snobbiness of roadies got to me.....

Now I am kicking myself since I pretty much have everything but a frame and a rear hub/wheel. Picked up a nice square taper Stronglight mtb 110 BCD 5 bolt crankset for it from a co-op recently, which makes me more pissed I tossed it.

Granted, I would love to have a nicer Schwinn or Nishiki or even a Specialized Langster or a Trek T1, but still, you can never have too many bikes. Unless they lead to a divorce.. that would be too many.
Old 09-10-08, 05:13 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks guys.

Actually, most would probably crap if they saw half of the crap I've been biking around on since I was 5...

Honestly, right now I'm in the middle of putting drop handlebars with brown leather tape, a brown Brooks saddle and a set of cage pedals on a 3 speed (shimano hub) Free Spirit. I know, right? Anyway, my grandfather bought it new, it had 300 miles on it when he croaked, and I've either replaced or rebuilt pretty much everything but the frame at this point with better parts. It won't be fast, but it's definitely a commuter. I just can't deal with the standard granny handlebars that came with it...

Most of the stuff on that bike has been salvaged - the front wheel, chainring (crank is original) and brakes all came from a road bike that somehow split its frame at the seatpost (it was an older Peugeot).

Guess it's time to go dumpster diving for an old BMX...
Old 09-10-08, 06:37 AM
imoscardotcom
jawesome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wasn't trying to be a dick. sorry if it seemed that way