Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you use camping stools or chairs on tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 12:00 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi ,just woundering how many of you take lightweight camping stools or chairs with you on tour ,i was looking for one that folds up small weighs nothing and is super strong .is there such a stool out there please let me know .i find it very hard to sit down with my legs tucked under me for any amount of time .
Old 09-09-08, 12:33 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I don't take anything to sit on when bike touring, but we do take a couple of the stools above when we are car camping along with some bigger camp chairs. They work okay and aren't huge.
Old 09-09-08, 12:35 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't even bring a seat of any kind. i was always able to find a log, rock, or mound of dirt that was just perfect. Plus, I had my hammock But I would recommend one of those foam buckle up chairs that can be rolled up as apposed to anything with a frame. It just makes it easier to pack in the long run.
Old 09-09-08, 01:06 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Liked 97 Times in 55 Posts
I used to rely on the picnic tables at campgrounds for sitting. But, no back support after a long day in the saddle made me get the thermarest chair:

I makes a huge difference. You can also sit inside your tent and then unwrap it and go to sleep.

I don't tour without it, anymore.

Ray
Old 09-09-08, 01:11 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exactly what i was talking about. These are perfect because they double as your sleeping pad. I still wake up hugging roots whenever sleeping outdoors anyways, but they at least help you get to sleep.
Old 09-09-08, 01:54 PM
julk

Bikes: Thorn Rohloff eXp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take an exped downmat and seat kit for use in the tent, but I also take a couple of things cycle camping to sit on outside the tent which I haven't seen mentioned yet.

A garden foam kneeling pad makes a comfy seat and insulates you from the cold wet ground whilst cooking outside the tent. Cost is very low, weight is very low and it makes a good pad to put between your tent and bike rack to prevent any damage to the tent whilst cycling.

A lightweight folding outdoor chair (3 legged stool) by Haglofs. This is one of my luxuries, but it is a good height to sit on whilst cooking and the base is designed not to sink into sandy, muddy or snowy camp sites. Mine was borrowed by a neighbour who went charity trecking in the Sahara and came back with a glowing report of how the stool enabled her to sit in comfort on soft sand and be able to stand up again. Sitting on the sandy ground was no good to her as she could not stand up again on her own after having a knee replacement earlier in the year.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-09-08, 01:57 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
You can sit on an oyster bucket pannier:

https://www.cobbworks.com/index.htm
Old 09-09-08, 02:40 PM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
I never really wish for a chair enough to carry one. Most places I have camped I can find adequate places to sit.

For lunch stops I have once in a while sat on a stuffed sleeping bag or pad and leaned against a sign post or guard rail, but more often, if in a place with no more formal seating, I just sit on a rock, the ground, a guard rail, or a log.
Old 09-09-08, 02:53 PM
xcapekey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bring a stool! A little folding Ikea folding tripod chair ($6) and it is worth it for me. Nothing sucks more than having to sit in the dirt on a hot day to eat or change a flat. For ME, it's worth the weight. I've been to sites with no picnic table or suitable rocks, so the chair was invaluable then when I was dog tired.

In the photo, it is that orange thing sticking out.

Old 09-09-08, 03:11 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow some great replys thanks ,i'll pass on the finding a soft rock thank you very much i rather be sure so having my own stool or chair makes sense.think i'll check out that thermerest looks good but might be out of my price range the akiea looks good enough well it's cheap ,julk great stool but a again to expensive ,
Old 09-09-08, 06:44 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've toured with a Crazy Creek 'Cradle Lounger' that is a spitting copy of the venerable Slinglight- most comfortable camp chair you will ever sit in.... on sale on for 25 bucks on line at crazy creek. I used a slinglight extensively in the 80's and 90's, just bought this new version from Crazy Creek last year, and two more on sale....

I schlepped one over the North Cascades on a wet and chilly tour last fall, really came in handy in the cold autumn evenings to have a cozy & comfy chair.
these chairs rock:

https://crazycreek.com/product/specials/66/

leave the headrest at home and it still is the most comfortable chair... about 18 ounces, strap it on top of the panniers in back.

Last edited by Bekologist; 09-09-08 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 08:10 PM
Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take a bit of aluminused bubble wrap to have something dry. I get jealous of those with thermarest chairs, they're quite comfortable, but I have the ultralight thermarest and worry too much about punctures or getting it wet.
Old 09-09-08, 09:27 PM
jwa
moron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by julk
A garden foam kneeling pad makes a comfy seat and insulates you from the cold wet ground whilst cooking outside the tent. Cost is very low, weight is very low and it makes a good pad to put between your tent and bike rack to prevent any damage to the tent whilst cycling.
Similarly, I use an 18" x 18" piece of closed cell foam - cut from the cheap kind of sleeping pad. Weighs next to nothing, wraps around stuff sack carrying your sleeping bag, makes most ground feel like soft rocks, keeps you butt dry on dew-damp mornings.
Old 09-09-08, 09:39 PM
wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're the one hauling it.

A couple of tours got my reality check. no couch..
now I don't even bring a stove. I still have my oatmeal n sugar n raisins in the morning and ramon noodles for dinner.
Old 09-09-08, 11:11 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
GCI Outdoor Trail-sling Ultralight.

https://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...0&CS_010=64550
Old 09-10-08, 05:33 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by jwa
Similarly, I use an 18" x 18" piece of closed cell foam - cut from the cheap kind of sleeping pad. Weighs next to nothing, wraps around stuff sack carrying your sleeping bag, makes most ground feel like soft rocks, keeps you butt dry on dew-damp mornings.
The best idea I have heard is combining that with a 3/4 length sleeping pad. At night it serves as the other 1/4 of your sleeping pad. That way you are carrying nothing extra. I have never done that though, but I would if I had a 3/4 length pad. Probably won't run out and buy one either since mine are still fairly new.

I have carried a 18X18 piece of 10 mil polyethylene sheet to sit on when backpacking. It worked out well. It would fit fine in a jersey pocket and always be handy. If touring somewhere that it was likely to be damp a lot of the time I might do this on tour, but I haven't yet.
Old 09-10-08, 01:34 PM
mijome07

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I thought about buying a few of these.
Old 09-10-08, 05:46 PM
jwa
moron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And of course, energetic yet weight-conscious tourists might just make their own.

Well, you could....
Old 09-11-08, 10:59 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jwa your jocking wright ,as the man said ,if i could i would but i cant so i wont.no i'll just buy one thank you very much but a good try anyway.
Old 09-11-08, 11:10 AM
Sealord3
Ride On Ride Safe

Bikes: Cannondale Touring, Rans V-Rex recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tour with a light weight foldable chair. After hours on the saddle a picnic bench does not do the job. Let me tell you a story that will emphasise my point.

Five or so years ago I self toured the Bike Centenial 10 day loop from Kalaspel to Waterton, Pitcher Creek and Fernie and back with three other riders one of whom was my wife. My three friends all carried the foldable canvas plastic chairs that set directly on the ground. At first I was the subject of good natured kidding-"the old man who needed a chair." After three days I noticed a change, when I arose and left my chair someone else placed their butt in it almost immediatly. A few days later folks were indignant when I asked them to get our of my chair. My wife outright refused to move! Did anyone offer to haul the chair------nope.

I still carry a chair--and if we meet don't ask.

TomT
Old 09-11-08, 11:19 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great story tomt, and of course your correct people will always tell you ,nah you dont need that then you find there the first to use it, and as you said try getting it back without starting world war three.
Old 09-11-08, 12:38 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Sealord3
I tour with a light weight foldable chair. After hours on the saddle a picnic bench does not do the job. Let me tell you a story that will emphasise my point.

Five or so years ago I self toured the Bike Centenial 10 day loop from Kalaspel to Waterton, Pitcher Creek and Fernie and back with three other riders one of whom was my wife. My three friends all carried the foldable canvas plastic chairs that set directly on the ground. At first I was the subject of good natured kidding-"the old man who needed a chair." After three days I noticed a change, when I arose and left my chair someone else placed their butt in it almost immediatly. A few days later folks were indignant when I asked them to get our of my chair. My wife outright refused to move! Did anyone offer to haul the chair------nope.

I still carry a chair--and if we meet don't ask.

TomT
I think that the fact that they probably still don't carry a chair must make some kind of point. I am not knocking anyone for carrying one, but I wouldn't myself unless they got the weight down to a few ounces. The lack of one for a whole summer was no hardship at all.

That someone would poach off of yours does not mean that they would consider it worth carrying one them self. That you can't get them out of it says that you are a pushover. If I carried one over a few mountain passes and someone wouldn't get out of it I would dump their ass onto the ground.
Old 09-11-08, 03:13 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah but it would be his wife's ass he would have to dump on the ground emmm dont think i would chance that one .
Old 09-11-08, 03:56 PM
patclem

Bikes: Surly LHT, Burley Paso Doble, Orbea Spirit Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gardening Kneeling Pad

I second the gardening pad. They're closed cell foam, cheap, super light and really make a picnic bench feel good. In cold weather, it keeps the cold ground (or whatever you're sitting on) from soaking the heat out of your butt. You can cut them down slightly to fit in a pannier if you have to. Great for backpacking too. You can hang them on the outside of your pack, along with your Crocs.
Old 10-23-08, 07:46 PM
mijome07

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Finally ordered a couple of camping stools from Cabela's. They are sturdy, comfortable and super cheap. Only $8 kind-of-cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.