Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cement truck pulls out in front me, doesn't care.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 12:33 PM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm tooling around a residential area not far from home and at a cross street to my left a cement truck stops then proceeds to pull out in front me - I have no stop and thus the right of way. I yield (he's slightly bigger than me) then at the next block up at the stop I inform him he pulled out right in front of me and ask him if he saw me. He said yes, that he had stopped and that I had slowed down is why he pulled out. He seemed very casual about it and acted like no big deal, then proceeds to light up a cigarette and motors to the job site a few blocks away. Meanwhile, I call the number on the side of the truck and I'm put in touch with the guy in charge of safety for the company and give him the truck number and the details. The guy was very receptive and agreed that the driver was wrong. He asked if the driver was polite or not and I told him he was just indifferent and didn't seem to really care. He said he will ask the driver about the situation and will discipline him, and asked for my number in case the driver gives a different version of the story.

I tell my wife the story and she thinks I'm crazy for confronting the guy "what if he had a gun - you never know - there are a lot of crazy drivers/people around here". So I won't be telling the wife about things like this anymore.

I felt compelled to report it because if it had been a kid not paying attention they could have been hit.

Last edited by billwatson58; 09-17-08 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 01:16 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The single most important thing you did was contacting the driver's superior. Good job on that.
Old 09-17-08, 01:22 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Nothing worse than a cement truck driver with a gun. 8>(
Wives worry too much sometimes, don't they?
Old 09-17-08, 01:31 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Let us know if the guy gets back to you about the story being different. Most buses and trucks here have 'hows my driving' numbers on the back. Now that I think of it, it'd be good idea to call the numbers to report both good and/or bad behavior toward cyclists.

roughstuff
Old 09-17-08, 05:32 PM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In hindsight, I was just awestruck that the guy thought that it was ok to pull out in front of me because I was on a bike.

And about Obama - there's no apostrophe in his name - though I think I saw one in his name at the St. Patrick's Day Parade on a sign in Chicago this year.

And BTW, Palin is a joke.
Old 09-17-08, 06:02 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by billwatson58
In hindsight, I was just awestruck that the guy thought that it was ok to pull out in front of me because I was on a bike.
Or maybe because you were slowing down like you were planning on yielding to him. He's seen it many times before, not just cyclists, and takes advantage of it.

(You did nothing wrong, he shouldn't take advantage of you looking out for yourself)
Old 09-17-08, 06:17 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like cement trucks.

They accelerate about as quickly as glaciers which makes them excellent draft fodder.

I once followed one from a stoplight musta stayed with him for a few mile. Definitely the fastest 2 miles I ever did on flat ground.

As for this guy, I might give him the benefit of the doubt as apparently he thought you were yielding to him. Didn't hurt to call his boss though.
Old 09-17-08, 06:32 PM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trekker pete
apparently he thought you were yielding to him
I made no indication whatsoever that I was yielding or slowing down. He made that up as an excuse. Me thinks that in his mind he said "i'm in a big cement truck, so what if the dude on the bike has to hit his brakes to yield to me"
Old 09-17-08, 06:49 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another example of a minor incident handled as if it were a minor incident. Just right, in my book.
Old 09-17-08, 06:59 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Big vehicle tend to do rolling stops as it is a ***** to get something that big and heavy moving from a complete stop.

Anticipate the fact and you'll be happier........safer too.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-17-08, 07:33 PM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Big vehicle tend to do rolling stops as it is a ***** to get something that big and heavy moving from a complete stop.

Not an acceptable excuse. He had come to a stop, not a rolling stop. Trucks that big have a greater burden of responsibility for safety given their size and the fact that he was in a residential neighborhood:

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...194159899,,0,5

And it's not my safety that concerns me - it's the kid on a bike that isn't paying attention and gets hit wherein the driver says " I thought he was slowing down for me"
Old 09-17-08, 09:43 PM
Sledbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dobber

i blew a stop sign trying to stop one, when loaded and from a dead stop they burn 1 gallon for every foot it takes them to get to 30.
Old 09-17-08, 11:36 PM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sledbikes
i blew a stop sign trying to stop one, when loaded and from a dead stop they burn 1 gallon for every foot it takes them to get to 30.
Lol, wut?

Proof? That is an insane amount of consumption, maybe you just drive poorly? I've never heard any trucker except for you make such a claim, and I've talked to a lot of those economical types too.

@OT:
I dunno I would think that it was entirely possible he thought it was a 4 way stop, but once it wasn't was trying to find a somewhat more legal way to cover his arse.

Not acceptable still, just I wouldn't think that a professional driver would risk his career to pick on a cyclist.
Old 09-18-08, 06:58 AM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StrangeWill

@OT:
I dunno I would think that it was entirely possible he thought it was a 4 way stop, but once it wasn't was trying to find a somewhat more legal way to cover his arse.
I should have mentioned that there are signs that state cross traffic does not have to stop.
Old 09-18-08, 07:09 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It's a cement truck. Not a supertanker.
Old 09-18-08, 07:46 AM
phillypino215

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i called one of those how's my driving sign things in the past...and it was freakin the cell phone to the driver...***** just laughed at me. moments later after i settled down, i thought it was quite funny as well.
Old 09-18-08, 07:46 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 09-18-08, 08:15 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
A cement truck burning a gallon per foot is a definite stretch of the imagination, I'd tend to believe the notion that it would take a gallon of fuel to get a fully loaded truck from a dead stop up to thirty miles per hour. Even a top fuel dragster gets better fuel mileage than a gallon a foot, burning only 7 gallons in 1320 feet, or less, now that they're limited to 1000 feet for safety reasons.

Anyway, back on topic, I've had more motorists pull out in front of me that seem not to care, than cement trucks. As far as I'm concerned, I treat every motorist stopped a intersection as if they don't care, and are about to pull out in front of me at anytime.

Last edited by dynodonn; 09-18-08 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 08:55 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
people don't even have to be driving a cement truck to feel like they can pull out in front of you.

i need to get past my visceral reaction to this when it occurs. even happened last night, some woman, probably drunk. oh well. just watch it out there.
Old 09-18-08, 09:00 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by billwatson58
Not an acceptable excuse. He had come to a stop, not a rolling stop. Trucks that big have a greater burden of responsibility for safety given their size and the fact that he was in a residential neighborhood:
I don't think dobber is making excuses for the guy, just simply pointing out that you should plan for Murphy...always expect the other guy to do the stupidest thing possible and plan your contingencies accordingly, so when/if he does, you are ready for it. It's hard to report the mutt if he splats you across the pavement, ya know?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-18-08, 11:59 AM
Bat22
Didn't make it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only had one friend who was killed on his bicycle....by a cement truck.
Old 09-18-08, 05:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,781 Times in 2,573 Posts
I got pulled over drafting on a cement truck once. I'm pretty sure the jerk called the cops on me.
Old 09-18-08, 07:28 PM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i blew a stop sign trying to stop one,
This is more an indication of your driving skills than anything else.

when loaded and from a dead stop they burn 1 gallon for every foot it takes them to get to 30.
Even if this was true, what's your point? I'm all for trying to combat climate change, but it almost sounds like you are trying to justify disregarding stop signs and endangering lives because of it.
Old 09-19-08, 03:37 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
The single most important thing you did was contacting the driver's superior. Good job on that.
Yep. Drivers with numbers on the side of their vehicles can sometimes be held accountable. I've had success complaining about a two or three bus drivers.
Old 09-26-08, 01:12 AM
Vodalus
i won't f us over

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 3.0, Specialized Allez SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I got pulled over drafting on a cement truck once. I'm pretty sure the jerk called the cops on me.
drafting cement trucks or busses is so great. i always love it when i work my butt off to get into a position so i can draft them, and then they turn or i have to turn so it was all wasted effort

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.