Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Someone ran me off the road last night

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 01:03 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

So, I'm riding east on W. Railroad St. when a white GMC Jimmy Blazer approaches me in the opposite direction. He starts to drift into my lane until he is completely in my lane and headed straight for me, forcing me off the road. He then immediately shifts back into his lane and speeds off. No chance to get a license plate number or give chase. There was a dark blue Suburban behind he who, I'm sure, saw the whole thing. It was obvious that the driver of the white SUV saw me (I was wearing a Hi-Vis yellow jersey, clear weather, no rain, plenty of light). He intentionally ran me off the road. I know what my next purchase will be: a helmet cam.

Oh, and I will be calling the local PD to report the incident, to at least get it on record.
Old 09-20-08, 01:28 PM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definatly let us know what the PD has to say about the matter..... Hopefully more than "No plate.... nothing we can do..."
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 09-20-08, 01:31 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get brighter lights. Cars are far less likely to mess with you if your lights make them drive defensively.
Old 09-20-08, 01:32 PM
fish2find
F2F

Bikes: Phat Tandem, other cruisers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you and the ride are ok!! Mabee the Suburban was able to get and call in some details for ya, may the Karma gods wee wee on that knuckle head!!
Old 09-20-08, 01:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 340 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyfrog
He starts to drift into my lane until he is completely in my lane and headed straight for me, forcing me off the road.
The good news...probably in your lifetime, that will never happen again. I had a guy, with a woman in the passenger seat, do the exact same thing to a bud and I on a 2-lane highway 25 years ago. Not another car in sight. I should have reported the vehicle description, but I didn't.
Old 09-20-08, 01:36 PM
Banana Up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night me and friend where riding home and a guy hit my buddy! He went on the wrong side of the road then up the sidewalk to the entrance of a MUT. We know what the car is but no plates.
Old 09-20-08, 01:43 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I talked to the local PD, reported the incident and gave them a description of the SUV. They said if they find it, they'll give "them a good lecture". I guess I should find a arm holster for my cell phone in case this happens again. (Cell phone was buried in my panniers last night.)

Me and bike are okay. I was more PO'd then anything else.
Old 09-20-08, 01:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 340 Times in 225 Posts
I was more PO'd then anything else.
If it makes you feel any better, a person who would do such a thing already has a very sad life and will probably commit suicide sooner than later.
Old 09-20-08, 01:58 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If it makes you feel any better, a person who would do such a thing already has a very sad life and will probably commit suicide sooner than later.
Actually, what gives me better hope is that it was some punk kid and his buddy (idiots travel in pairs, don't you know ) and that they had dope or beer or meth (or any or all of the above) in the car at the time and have a prior record (quite likely).
Old 09-20-08, 01:59 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It was your chaps that upsetted him/her (joke)

Hopefully the driver eats it against a lonely, lonely, rock somewhere.
Old 09-20-08, 02:03 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by huhenio
It was your chaps that upsetted him/her (joke)

Hopefully the driver eats it against a lonely, lonely, rock somewhere.
Wrapped around a tree without killing anyone but himself, is a slow, grisly death. (Me? Bitter? Naaaaaah. )
Old 09-20-08, 02:08 PM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Karma...he will get it back 3x worse, and in true Karma fashion it may not be something 3x worse but hit him in 3 ways...physically, emotionally and /or spiritually...just keep telling yourself his payback is going to be a ***** for him!

Glad you and the ride are OK!
Old 09-20-08, 06:31 PM
DoB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The good news...probably in your lifetime, that will never happen again. I had a guy, with a woman in the passenger seat, do the exact same thing to a bud and I on a 2-lane highway 25 years ago. Not another car in sight. I should have reported the vehicle description, but I didn't.
The same exact thing the OP experienced happened to me, except it was winter and the oncoming car's windshield was totally covered in ice. The moron was driving along with zero forward visibility.
Old 09-20-08, 08:20 PM
chicharron

A long time ago, I was hit by a car full of teenagers. The car pulled up besides me as I was going fast downhill while I was in 10th gear on a 10 speed road bike. While the car pulled up next to me, the passenger opened the door suddenly, and then I only remember flying over the handle bars. I then landed face down in the gravel.

Old 09-20-08, 08:21 PM
chicharron

No witnesses, no license number, nada........No help from the police.

Old 09-20-08, 08:39 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a passenger riding in my company vehicle this week, who thought it bad of me for letting a bicyclist go through the intersection before I made my right turn.

I had a lady in a mini-van block traffic so that I could cross a busy road, I waved her by.( I was on my bike)

Sorry your deal was bad one.
Old 09-20-08, 09:30 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I wonder what the driver would have done had you played 'chicken' instead of leaving the road. Think he'd have gone back to his lane? or would he have been willing to get a scrach on his car (and kill you)?

I'd *hope* that it was more of an intimidation thing, than actually wanting you dead... (or more likely wanting a scratch on the paintjob). Which gets me thinking, seeing as how they do value their paint, could ya carry a few rocks to toss at him as he's approaching? So the driver doesn't get away with just a laugh next time?
Old 09-20-08, 09:48 PM
shubonker
danke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have flung my ulock at his window as he drove past.
Old 09-20-08, 09:58 PM
BBnet3000

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 2.0, Dahon Speed D7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should find a arm holster for my cell phone in case this happens again. (Cell phone was buried in my panniers last night.)
you could also get a handlebar pouch for it
Old 09-20-08, 11:48 PM
Donkey Hodie
I like chrome.

Bikes: 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handlebar mounted missile-launchers.

Maybe some kind of discrete camera set-up made specifically for moments like this would be a perfect solution. To be able to get a video or photos of the incident and/or license plate number would be choice.
Old 09-21-08, 12:13 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Liked 695 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by shubonker
Same here - aimed at the middle of his windshield. It would probably smash the windshield and you'd most likely recover the u-lock in time to smash his head in with it after he pulls over and make the second and final mistake of getting out of his cage.

Don't forget to grab the keys out of his ignition as you leave, for later disposal down a drain somewhere.
Old 09-21-08, 03:41 AM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shubonker
I like this concept, but does anyone have ideas on how to pull it off?
Most people store their U-Lock stuck in a rear rack or bag.
Mine's mounted on my frame, but even so I don't think I could pull it out in time since I'd have to reach down and unstrap the velcro. Plus I'd be having to do this with my off(left) hand, as the stronger one is busy with steering... I'd also not think too highly of my chances of aiming the throw at speed...

Really, how would you do it?
Old 09-21-08, 04:15 AM
på beløb

Bikes: Many and varied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a video camera on my helmet just for this kind of thing. Many cyclists do. Just remember to put the vid up on you-tube so everyone can have a good laugh too.
Old 09-21-08, 06:49 AM
srmatte
smatte

Bikes: diamondback - sherwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was run off the road by a school bus last week. Not coming at me though, I was passing just after he picked up kids and as he accelerated he drifted to the right, the pavement disapeared and I had to ride up a dirt embankment and stop. they just never looked in the side view mirror, and they had just past me a quarter mile back with my blinkies flashing and neon reflective vest on.
Old 09-21-08, 07:35 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't carry a lock, but I've heard that 1" diameter steel balls in a snack pouch up front are a good windshield breaker.
I don't think I've ever had someone intentionally try to run me off the road, but I've had people try to pass oncoming cars with me there. It's happened twice, I go farther into the lane and sit full upright with my bright clothing and both times they've braked and dropped back in behind the car they were trying to pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.